IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2006, 06:45 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Vista in January?

Looks like Vista's on track for January release.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...d=ay2ZXKGVWAWw
Old 29th August 2006, 06:48 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: Vista in January?

Based on amazon also, theyre also selling it from $100 to $400 range...Jan 30 (oops...didnt c the article)
Old 29th August 2006, 06:58 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
Based on amazon also, theyre also selling it from $100 to $400 range...Jan 30 (oops...didnt c the article)
Hard to believe, but M$ is on track so far for IE7 and Vista...
Old 29th August 2006, 08:41 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using RC1 since it came out and *finally* had no bugs! I really like it!!
Old 29th August 2006, 11:12 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer

Yes, but the OEM will be out much earlier than that. This is the boxed version packaged with all the paraphenalia, distributed through Stores World Wide.

I think you should pencil in the OEM for early October. Note they are say RC (which won't be a free distribution), is before end of September.

Actually, it looks at though Japan might be first with this!

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6101346hc5.jpg
URL copied to Clipboard

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 30th August 2006 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 31st August 2006, 03:09 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hard to believe, but M$ is on track so far for IE7 and Vista...
Yes, that is very hard to believe. Both are monumentally late, and I'm measuring "monumentally" in earth years. Vista was started in 2001. Not sure how you are defining "on track" :p
Old 31st August 2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
Yes, that is very hard to believe. Both are monumentally late, and I'm measuring "monumentally" in earth years. Vista was started in 2001. Not sure how you are defining "on track" :p
I don't think they are overpromising this time. IE7 RC1 and the betas have been good and on track. I foresee a good spring with PPC. One year from now, we will all know our ROI.
Old 31st August 2006, 04:24 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we will see steady uptake, but for Japanese anyway expect a 2-3 year timeframe where the results will be coming in.
Old 31st August 2006, 06:00 AM

I agree, but some other languages are barrelling along as we speak. Russian has been good from the start and getting better every day.
Old 31st August 2006, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I agree, but some other languages are barrelling along as we speak. Russian has been good from the start and getting better every day.
I am finding Russian very slow in comparison at the moment. Japan is the key market.
Old 31st August 2006, 09:26 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

I vote Arabic. com or net; both are outperforming Japan by 5-1
Old 31st August 2006, 09:47 AM

As I wrote, we have all voted with our currency. Let's sit back and enjoy the show! I personally hope everyone wins!
Old 31st August 2006, 09:57 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:

I still can't believe that they are missing all that Christmas trade by delivering it in January
Old 31st August 2006, 09:58 AM
Veteran

Everyone that has backed Asian Script IDN is a surefire winner, but as with all winnings, it will be largely in proportion to the stake and those that took early odds will have a distinct advantage.
Old 31st August 2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Everyone that has backed Asian Script IDN is a surefire winner, but as with all winnings, it will be largely in proportion to the stake and those that took early odds will have a distinct advantage.
Yes, you are correct. We all stand to 'win' our share. I think we will all be happy.
Old 31st August 2006, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I still can't believe that they are missing all that Christmas trade by delivering it in January
Of course you are absolutely right, but there is no Christmas trade in Boxed Software, just a logistical nightmare in burning it and getting it to the shops. Vista will not be ready for Christmas, but they will release it anyway. That's what Auto Updates are all about!
Old 31st August 2006, 10:04 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Of course you are absolutely right, but there is no Christmas trade in Boxed Software, just a logistical nightmare in burning it and getting it to the shops. Vista will not be ready for Christmas, but they will release it anyway. That's what Auto Updates are all about!
you're right, no there isn't in shrink-wrapped software, but there is in turn-key pc's preloaded with the latest O/S. this is what they are missing...

.. maybe Christmas shoppers will just buy a Playstation 3 instead :p
Old 31st August 2006, 10:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
you're right, no there isn't in shrink-wrapped software, but there is in turn-key pc's preloaded with the latest O/S. this is what they are missing...

Don't worry, they are close enough to ship the OEM very soon. The Pre RC was handed out in 100K copies. The only difference between this and RC1 is that there are no Auto Updates, because Microsoft is not giving the thing away. We can expect RC1 by Mid September. Full OEM release will be about Mid October. That gives enough time for Chinese Manufacturers of Dells to get them to the shops. Each phase of IE 7 has persistently been about 2 weeks ahead of Vista. I think it is a racing certainty now that we will have IE 7 before end September.
Old 31st August 2006, 11:09 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Ooooh...bite your tongue Alpha....an Xbox 360 please instead of an overpriced PS3. :p And while your at it buy the MGS games please, those are the ones I work on!
Old 31st August 2006, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Ooooh...bite your tongue Alpha....an Xbox 360 please instead of an overpriced PS3. :p And while your at it buy the MGS games please, those are the ones I work on!
If M$ fail to come through with the goods, then you can forget brand loyalty, you will be lucky to have brand credibility. And besides, were do you think my Christmas budget is coming from? If Microsoft hold out on me, I won't be buying any games for the XBox.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 31st August 2006 at 11:25 AM..