IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Name News

Internationalized Domain Name News Recent IDN related News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2006, 12:19 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Verisign's Opportunities for Growth

Reading between the lines - DNAME solution is in the works.

http://www.verisign.com/static/039111.pdf
Page 5.
Old 31st August 2006, 12:45 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Verisign's Opportunities for Growth

On a side note... I wonder how badly those new reg stats are skewed by all the traffic testing that goes on.
Old 31st August 2006, 01:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Reading between the lines - DNAME solution is in the works.

http://www.verisign.com/static/039111.pdf
Page 5.
Thanks for that.

It is clear that Verisign feel that their time has come!
Old 31st August 2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Thanks for that.

It is clear that Verisign feel that their time has come!
Sure puts the argument of non-believers that everybody who uses internet speaks english to shame.
Old 31st August 2006, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Sure puts the argument of non-believers that everybody who uses internet speaks english to shame.
Yes, unfortunately many ASCII domainers do not even seem to be able to Read, Write or otherwise communicate, even in English, so what hope do they have with IDN?

I have taken the liberty of flagging this up at Namepros and DNF, as I think this is very significant. I have have long said that IDN will enable Verisign to expand their dot com registry from 50M to 500M. It looks as though they are starting to believe it too!
Old 31st August 2006, 02:43 PM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's fitting that they saved the best for last in this latest report.

After reading through it, there is no doubt that IDNs are high on their priority lists.

Thanks for the report!
Old 31st August 2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar
It's fitting that they saved the best for last in this latest report.

After reading through it, there is no doubt that IDNs are high on their priority lists.

Thanks for the report!
While it doesn't even mention DNAME, I have to believe that Verisign is pushing it and lobbying it to ICANN.
Old 31st August 2006, 03:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
While it doesn't even mention DNAME, I have to believe that Verisign is pushing it and lobbying it to ICANN.
I think you will see that this report is all part and parcel of the propanda behind their cause with DNAME. They have nailed their colours to the mast here, and are intent on mobilising a opinion amongst a wider audience. This single report will have more impact than all my ramblings put together. Even the iREID board will mull this report over.
Old 31st August 2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I think you will see that this report is all part and parcel of the propanda behind their cause with DNAME. They have nailed their colours to the mast here, and are intent on mobilising a opinion amongst a wider audience. This single report will have more impact than all my ramblings put together. Even the iREID board will mull this report over.

From the latest ramblings and conversations I understand that DNAME and NS are not mutually exclusive. And they shouldn't be. They probably both be adopted.
Old 31st August 2006, 03:21 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
From the latest ramblings and conversations I understand that DNAME and NS are not mutually exclusive. And they shouldn't be. They probably both be adopted.
IE7 is almost here, I don't care about DNAME and NS any more. Whether DNAME or NS will be employed or not, they will just work as an alternative way of inputing domain name only, the true domain will still be Dot Latin.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 31st August 2006, 04:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
IE7 is almost here, I don't care about DNAME and NS any more. Whether DNAME or NS will be employed or not, they will just work as an alternative way of inputing domain name only, the true domain will still be Dot Latin.
Well that is not strictly true and is the cause of much of the debate, although most of those doing the talking hardly have a grasp of the issues.

NS will generate a true Name. DNAME will not. NS could in theory produce a plethora of alternatives to dot Com. In practice nobody is realistically considering more than handful of ccTLDs, apart from ICANN policy developers who need their Inflatible Wholly Clouds deflating before they do themselves an injury.

I think that it is highly likely that dot CN and other high volume ccTLDs will be put into the Root and maintained as a more efficient way of channelling high volume traffic, to reduce the demand on the DNAME system. With dot CN, the inherent link between Punycode and ASCII is already in place, so this doesn't create any issues.
Old 1st September 2006, 12:51 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
On a side note... I wonder how badly those new reg stats are skewed by all the traffic testing that goes on.

Dun think it will be more than 2 weeks of drops.

btw, just a thought, 600,000 idn .com + .net (in 100+ languages) Versus 300,000 idn.de!!

For a comparison, a single domain REIT can easily have hundreds of thousands of "traffic names".

Ok, back to digging!

Last edited by touchring; 1st September 2006 at 01:02 AM..
Old 1st September 2006, 02:56 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Interesting also that Verisign states the following statistic on page 5:

QUOTE: More than 75% (of registered IDNS) resolve to a website, indicating that IDNS are already in major use.
Old 1st September 2006, 02:59 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Interesting also that Verisign states the following statistic on page 5:

QUOTE: More than 75% (of registered IDNS) resolve to a website, indicating that IDNS are already in major use.
That just shows there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. If they disallowed parking pages in the figure, it would be nearer 1% than 75%
Old 1st September 2006, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
That just shows there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. If they disallowed parking pages in the figure, it would be nearer 1% than 75%
I think VeriSign just used the term cleverly, these are not lies.

-A parked page is technically a "website".

-All my IDNs are already in "major use" ---- collecting traffic revenues

These "lies" just show VeriSign are betting heavily on IDNs, just like us.

This Brief from VeriSign is a very good news, it basically has cleared all the doubts we had about IDN.

@

Last edited by Giant; 1st September 2006 at 03:46 AM..
Old 1st September 2006, 03:47 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
I think VeriSign just used the term cleverly, these are not lies.

-A parked page is technically a "website".

-All my IDNs are already in "major use" ---- collecting traffic revenues

These "lies" just show VeriSign are betting heavily in IDNs, just like us.

This Brief from VeriSign is a very good news, it basically has cleared all the doubts we had about IDN.
I never accused VeriSign of lying, just of applying statistics for their own benefit

But yes, the report is certainly good news, and will help establish IDNs as "mainstream", portraying us "nutty IDNers" in a more favorable light ! Might even get some mainstream press coverage to follow on the back of this. The IDN snowball might just be rolling. Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like RD - time for a Kit Kat :p
Old 1st September 2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Well that is not strictly true and is the cause of much of the debate, although most of those doing the talking hardly have a grasp of the issues.
2 months ago, you could have reason to be concerned that IDN.com would be moved over to IDN.IDN with new IDN TLD in the root, and your IDN.com would all be cancelled. But this is not a debatable question any more. "No change is the best change", IDN.com will remain IDN.com no matter what. I will show you why I am so certain about this when I have more time

@
Old 1st September 2006, 05:26 AM
Veteran

Quote:

NS will generate a true Name. DNAME will not. NS could in theory produce a plethora of alternatives to dot Com. In practice nobody is realistically considering more than handful of ccTLDs, apart from ICANN policy developers who need their Inflatible Wholly Clouds deflating before they do themselves an injury.

I think that it is highly likely that dot CN and other high volume ccTLDs will be put into the Root and maintained as a more efficient way of channelling high volume traffic, to reduce the demand on the DNAME system. With dot CN, the inherent link between Punycode and ASCII is already in place, so this doesn't create any issues.

The main threat on idn.com is not idn.dname, but too many domains are getting into the hand of speculators - a repeat of the .info experience, especially so, when there is no "sunrise" for idn.com.

This will impact onto .com 10 times more than .dname. Webmasters who can't get hold of idn.com (held by cybersquatter) will register the more expensive .cctld (shunned by cybersquatters) and soon, the traffic will follow gradually as well when people start to associate idn.com with "irritating parking pages" and idn.cctld with "real websites".

However, the faster IE7 launches and the more effort microsoft and verisign puts into promoting idn.com to the masses, the lesser the chance of a .info repeat.

Last edited by touchring; 1st September 2006 at 05:43 AM..
Old 1st September 2006, 07:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
The main threat on idn.com is not idn.dname, but too many domains are getting into the hand of speculators - a repeat of the .info experience, especially so, when there is no "sunrise" for idn.com.

This will impact onto .com 10 times more than .dname. Webmasters who can't get hold of idn.com (held by cybersquatter) will register the more expensive .cctld (shunned by cybersquatters) and soon, the traffic will follow gradually as well when people start to associate idn.com with "irritating parking pages" and idn.cctld with "real websites".

However, the faster IE7 launches and the more effort microsoft and verisign puts into promoting idn.com to the masses, the lesser the chance of a .info repeat.
I think if you feel that dot JP has been shunned, your information is a bit out of date. I have several dozen myself. Would have regged more, if they had been available. My sales include quite a few dot JP as well.

Most large companies will in any case use their own names which as you constantly point out they can Wipo, if they are not available. Most of the smart guys already have them.
Old 1st September 2006, 08:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I think if you feel that dot JP has been shunned, your information is a bit out of date. I have several dozen myself. Would have regged more, if they had been available. My sales include quite a few dot JP as well.

Most large companies will in any case use their own names which as you constantly point out they can Wipo, if they are not available. Most of the smart guys already have them.

I mean "in comparison". Speculator registering .cn and .jp is mostly a recent thing.

For sales, definitely .com command better pricing since speculators tend to avoid ctld for various reasons.

Last edited by touchring; 1st September 2006 at 08:53 AM..