IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Search Engine Optimization : SEO

Search Engine Optimization : SEO SEO techniques & discussion for IDN Domains.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2006, 06:54 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Impact of SE traffic on even virgin IDN is potentially many times more than type-in.

This is the conclusion i got after looking at my stats on several hundred names on ND for the past 6 mths, looking at them enter the index, rise up the index, and then drop off the index and back and forth. :p

Of cos, many would say this is a foregone conclusion, but now that we are facing the issue of renewal fees, the question is, whether creating a sitemap for the domains is the "correct way" to do.

Some things we know:

1. Some names are indexed even though they are "new" and got no incoming links. Some are never, even after parking for many months - what reason??
2. Names can drop off index after being indexed for many months even though nothing is done.
3. Surge in traffic after indexing, followed by gradual fall after one or two months. PPC might also surge and fall as well.
4. Some people use DNS, some people use forwarding.

Past 2 hours, i also did some research on parking and sitemaps on DNF and NP:

1. Whatever discussion i saw on sitemap is for developed websites.
2. People reiterating that promotion is illegal for parking names - sitemap illegal?
3. People saying parking names get indexed automatically if you park at Sedo, etc.

Reason for seeking the "correct way" - the consequences of a google ban is devastating for long term PPC, and no webmaster will develop a banned name.

I think fellow investors may discuss openly on domain SEO as it impacts on our industry viability. Any feedbacks and advice is most welcomed.

Last edited by touchring; 4th September 2006 at 07:10 AM..
Old 4th September 2006, 07:59 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Impact of SE traffic on even virgin IDN is potentially many times more than type-

1. You can "hand submit" domains to google. That way you don't need incoming links to get them indexed.
2. Domains that aren't hand-submitted and don't have any incoming links are unlikely ever to get indexed.

Your conclusion is a huge oversimplification of the issue. As we know, most IDNs, even good ones, are only getting a few type-ins a day at the moment. Obviously if you get to be #1 search term for an even half-decent term, you are going to get more than a few visitors a day.

But long-term, parking and SEO does not go together. SEO is for developed sites with content, not parked pages. The current good positions for pages parked at ND (or anywhere else) are never going to be maintained, even in the medium term. They will just disappear one day. And then all the hard work indexing and generally "faffing around" with forwarding / keywords will have been wasted (apart from the income derived in the meantime of course).

Also, just a guess, but if you ever want to sell a domain based on traffic, most buyers are interested in "pure" traffic i.e. type-ins. If lots of your traffic comes from a (transient) search engine position, the value of the name is very much less clear to any potential buyer. And that makes them much less likely to buy.
Old 4th September 2006, 08:03 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Impact of SE traffic on even virgin IDN is potentially many times more than type-

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
1. You can "hand submit" domains to google. That way you don't need incoming links to get them indexed.
2. Domains that aren't hand-submitted and don't have any incoming links are unlikely ever to get indexed.

Your conclusion is a huge oversimplification of the issue. As we know, most IDNs, even good ones, are only getting a few type-ins a day at the moment. Obviously if you get to be #1 search term for an even half-decent term, you are going to get more than a few visitors a day.

But long-term, parking and SEO does not go together. SEO is for developed sites with content, not parked pages. The current good positions for pages parked at ND (or anywhere else) are never going to be maintained, even in the medium term. They will just disappear one day. And then all the hard work indexing and generally "faffing around" with forwarding / keywords will have been wasted (apart from the income derived in the meantime of course).

Also, just a guess, but if you ever want to sell a domain based on traffic, most buyers are interested in "pure" traffic i.e. type-ins. If lots of your traffic comes from a (transient) search engine position, the value of the name is very much less clear to any potential buyer. And that makes them much less likely to buy.
thanks for replying on this.

You can hand submit to Google, but you can't without paying for the likes of Yahoo (I believe)

So bottom line, what's the verdict?

While we all wait for the type-ins to turn up, trying to generate some revenue - it is tempting to try to monetize SE traffic via indexing. But is site maps good, bad or indifferent for parked pages?
Old 4th September 2006, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:

Thanks for replying. Some points:

1. What i found out is the for generics that got OVT with extension, indexing does makes a difference regardless of SERP.

2. For domain traffic origin, i think we got to rely on ND or any parking company to add adding direct navigation stats versus referred traffic. I believe that will happen one day.

3. Development is a good idea, but not a simple task for a thousand name portfolio.
Old 4th September 2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Traditionally type-ins will amount to about 25% of the total traffic, the rest coming from SE's and links. Obviously there are 2 things you should take into consideration
1) the above figure will be true for the average name (in terms of SEO potential), we all know that we do not own "average" names. For the highly sought terms we own you should expect a SE-traffic share of way more than 75%.
2) this expectancy will not become reality if we leave them parked with payed ads as the only real content and an IP that forms the identity of thousands of different "websites".

I really don't expect our SEO-wishes to become true if we leave them parked.
Old 4th September 2006, 10:23 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=domainguru]1. You can "hand submit" domains to google. That way you don't need incoming links to get them indexed.
QUOTE]

Isn't hand submission to Google via DMOZ and wouldn't we be in contravention of their policies?

Do not submit any site with an address that redirects to another address.

To keep the ODP running smoothly and to assist us in exercising our editorial discretion, we have set up policies for submitting sites for our consideration. We may reject, delete, or edit submissions that violate these policies or that we otherwise believe, in our sole discretion, should not be included in the directory. We may also reject, delete, or block other sites that we believe to be associated with a user who has violated these policies.

Quote:
And then all the hard work indexing and generally "faffing around" with forwarding / keywords will have been wasted (apart from the income derived in the meantime of course).
I am not sure that Age isn't an important factor in SERP. The date on which you were first indexed is almost certainly recorded somewhere and possibly the age of your links etc may be as well.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 4th September 2006 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 4th September 2006, 02:22 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This is my point of view
Forget Google in all expectations.
Concentrate on Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex, even MSN when it goes IDN compatible.

I "think" a sitemap wouldn't be a problem because your goal is only to get the domains indexed. Not to incourage users to click on ads on the domains. But I'm not 100% sure.

Hand submitting to Google isn't via DMOZ it's done by a page within Google. If it's a parked page it will be better you didn't submit it.

Yahoo Search & Yahoo Directory are different. You usually pay for Yahoo directory. This is the part of Yahoo that is controlled locally. Yahoo Japan accepted my personal site for free. Yahoo Search is controlled by Yahoo in the US & this is where indexed sites get inputted.

You can also suggest sites to Yahoo search for free. As with Google hand submitting parked pages will do more harm than good guaranteed.

Remember that almost all of Rick Schwartz domains are not indexed by Google, many other famous traffic domains are in the same boat. Yahoo is indexing parked IDNs, I am assuming that Yandex, & Baidu are too. The versions of Google that are ranking parked IDNs well would be the regions where the filters are not set yet. Those of us who know Google can expect Google to catch up & filter them out sooner or later.
Old 4th September 2006, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
This is my point of view
Forget Google in all expectations.
Concentrate on Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex, even MSN when it goes IDN compatible.

I "think" a sitemap wouldn't be a problem because your goal is only to get the domains indexed. Not to incourage users to click on ads on the domains. But I'm not 100% sure.

Hand submitting to Google isn't via DMOZ it's done by a page within Google. If it's a parked page it will be better you didn't submit it.

Yahoo Search & Yahoo Directory are different. You usually pay for Yahoo directory. This is the part of Yahoo that is controlled locally. Yahoo Japan accepted my personal site for free. Yahoo Search is controlled by Yahoo in the US & this is where indexed sites get inputted.

You can also suggest sites to Yahoo search for free. As with Google hand submitting parked pages will do more harm than good guaranteed.

Remember that almost all of Rick Schwartz domains are not indexed by Google, many other famous traffic domains are in the same boat. Yahoo is indexing parked IDNs, I am assuming that Yandex, & Baidu are too. The versions of Google that are ranking parked IDNs well would be the regions where the filters are not set yet. Those of us who know Google can expect Google to catch up & filter them out sooner or later.

Ok, yes, i did realize that, the sex.net sold for half a mil earlier on wasn't indexed by Google, and has no PR. Rick's property.com though has PR and is indexed. What's the difference?? A note that property.com uses TRAFFICZ.COM.