IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Русские Доменные Имена

Русские Доменные Имена Discussion on native Russian IDN domain names

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2006, 03:32 PM

DomenForum.net is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to DomenForum.net Send a message via MSN to DomenForum.net Send a message via Yahoo to DomenForum.net
An update from Yandex support

If you read between lines, they say IDN's suck ... they are somewhat right

http://domenforum.net/showpost.php?p=73104&postcount=13

Most of all I liked this line: "О текущем состоянии
дел следует судить по информации из авторитетных источников, а не по сайтам энтузиастов (часто коммерчески заинтересованных)."

You still believe in IDN's ? Yo, shame on you (c) Ali G

P.S. I am asking not to blame me for the opinion I made about IDN's many months ago. Don't try to prove me IDN's will ever work, they just won't !
Old 6th September 2006, 03:38 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: An update from Yandex support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomenForum.net
P.S. I am asking not to blame me for the opinion I made about IDN's many months ago. Don't try to prove me IDN's will ever work, they just won't !
First you supported IDN, then you stated IDNs would not work (while you were busy registering IDNs), then you told us you were just kidding, now your telling us IDN'S just won't work in Russia?

Please explain your reasoning here. I am seeing more and more Russian registrations in the who.is. BTW- My offer to buy your Russian Portfolio is open to negotiation once again....
Old 6th September 2006, 03:44 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:

дел следует судить по информации из авторитетных источников, а не по сайтам энтузиастов (часто коммерчески заинтересованных)."

Do you care to translate that mr. Smartass ?

[ if their referral to idnnow.com says anything about the context of the message it would seem that the staff of yandex is ill informed ]
Old 6th September 2006, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Well may be they will never work at Yandex.

Google see Yandex as there for the taking. If Yandex are going to hand it to them on a plate, there isn't going to be much excitement.
Old 6th September 2006, 03:57 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Alex, as a Domain Forum owner and acitvely influencing to some degree the members of your forum, I think you have lost a truly golden opportuntity to be the Torchbearer for IDNs within your community. Maybe your lack of foresight into the future will end up being your biggest regret of your domaining career...

Hall of Fame or Hall of Shame...the path is there for you to choose.

And please layout your reasoning why idns will never work when you get a moment.
Old 6th September 2006, 05:07 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:

It will be hard to have a constructive discussion with someone who came to the conclusion idn's suck with a "i told u so" based on an email response from a yandex employee and an existing self made based on nothing solid or close to solid opinion from pretty much day 1 in regards to idn's and apperantly will prefer some iwantcreditcards.info ascii domains...but will try.

to start, please explain why is it that russian natives massively choose more then any other language to present theyre ascii domains in a cyrillic format?

also,even if it will stay as idn.com do you acknoweldge the huge offline marketing advantages?

another question, again, assuming worst case scenario..idn's stay idn.com...do you understand the enormous potential good 1&2 word idn's hold when it comes to ppc revenue generated via se and typeins?

in addition...

1. email responses From nic.ru

IDN registration in .RU isn't available yet but it is planned.
Now all .RU domain names with hyphens in the third and the fourth
positions simultaneously are reserverd by the .RU Registry for IDN
registrations.

Unfortunately, there's still no information on the date IDN registration
in .RU will be open. Technically speaking the system is ready but
Coordination Centre for TLD .RU (superior body over .RU Registrars) has
to finish with the development of the IDN registration rules.

+

From the article i posted earlier today

Yandex was positive about Google's arrival in Russia, saying it could "lend greater legitimacy" to targeted Internet ads, benefiting all players by giving the market an additional boost.

"We, of course, compete in terms of search," Yandex's chief editor Yelena Kolmanovskaya said, "but we all work together because there is still a lot of room for growth."

(Translation: google will do whatever the f it wants with us pretty much)

Now, when you or anyone say IDN's WONT work...define wont work? what part wont work? yandex will block them?
people will religiously not click on them because they are idn's?

In Short, 3 options i see.

A. IDN.COM will be IDN.IDN = will make it to be not a big hit..but a huge hit
B. IDN.COM will stay this way = sucks really but still is way better investment over ascii anyday
C. Investing in Potato fertilizers or?
Old 6th September 2006, 06:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to DomenForum.net Send a message via MSN to DomenForum.net Send a message via Yahoo to DomenForum.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
Unfortunately, there's still no information on the date IDN registration in .RU will be open.
There will be no sense in IDN.RU just like there is no sense in Russian IDN.COM
Just few will switch their keyboards into English to enter ".com" extension out of curiosity.

By the time IE automatically adds .com extension to any word entered, there will be no available names, so new extension or IDN.IDN will have to be created.

Quote:
In Short, 3 options i see.

A. IDN.COM will be IDN.IDN = will make it to be not a big hit..but a huge hit
B. IDN.COM will stay this way = sucks really but still is way better investment over ascii anyday
C. Investing in Potato fertilizers or?

The way I see it is described in "A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
BTW- My offer to buy your Russian Portfolio is open to negotiation once again....
I sold it few weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Do you care to translate that mr. Smartass ?
No, I do not.

Last edited by DomenForum.net; 6th September 2006 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 6th September 2006, 06:31 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
(Translation: google will do whatever the f it wants with us pretty much)
My Russian is not good, but I got that bit!
Old 6th September 2006, 06:44 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
There will be no sense in IDN.RU just like there is no sense in Russian IDN.COM
Just few will switch their keyboards into English to enter ".com" extension out of curiosity.

By the time IE automatically adds .com extension to any word entered, there will be no available names, so new extension or IDN.IDN will have to be created.
No sense based on what? who? why?
and those just few are how many? and why do you think its "just few"?

(IE is planned to automatically add .com extension to the word? i didnt know that, would be great if you are right)

as for the new ext. created for lack of domain availability doesnt it "remind" you of ascii? i.e .pro .mobi .lv etc?

but this just stresses my point...if new extension created it means theres demand for it...and demand for it is the last thing you said will be.
(other than the fact the .com will be worth minimum 10 times more then any other extension)

Alex,
i dont know if you will answer this or not..but i asked you before...when raising an argument try and base it on either facts or at least "educated guesses" but to go throw bombs in the air out of no where will do nothing really.
Old 6th September 2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
There will be no sense in IDN.RU just like there is no sense in Russian IDN.COM Just few will switch their keyboards into English to enter ".com" extension out of curiosity..
You are ASSUMING that everyone does type-ins including the .com or .net. Some do, but MOST don't.

I would guess that 80% plus of internet users search with the "word" or "term" only.
And they will search as they do now with RUSSIAN unicode in the search box and view results on Yandex, Google, etc.

And then they will review top responses and choose what website to visit...and guess what is going to soon be on page 1 of many subjects IDN IDN, and more IDN!

BTW- Who did you sell your portfolio to?
You had some nice idns, might have been worth the small gamble.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 6th September 2006 at 06:54 PM..
Old 6th September 2006, 06:51 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

I have to add specifically for russians the mentality aspect.
native russians can tell me if im wrong...but some nations are more calculated then others when comes to spending/investing.
from my expirence dealing with russians they more then most GET what they want WHEN they want it with sometimes complete disregard to cost and consequences...
you only can have 1 buyer per domain...and if it is a domain that caters to someone's business needs or others..this 1 buyer will be there...and time will show we will be suprised with what they r willing to spend for prestige..for a NAME..for being the AUTHORITY in whatever field they are in.
Old 7th September 2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
BTW- Who did you sell your portfolio to?
You had some nice idns, might have been worth the small gamble.
Check out WHOIS info, and I'm pretty sure you will figure out who purchased my entire portfolio.

P.S. My portfolio was up for sale on this forum for few months, and nobody seemed to be interested. Too bad you guys get interested after it changes its owner, who will NEVER sell even one name for that funny price he bought the entire portfolio that had over 80 generic IDNs
Old 7th September 2006, 10:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Check out WHOIS info, and I'm pretty sure you will figure out who purchased my entire portfolio.

P.S. My portfolio was up for sale on this forum for few months, and nobody seemed to be interested. Too bad you guys get interested after it changes its owner, who will NEVER sell even one name for that funny price he bought the entire portfolio that had over 80 generic IDNs
Congratulations, you sold out at the bottom. Well done:p

Anyway, it would seem to check out. Domains are in the hands of a credible buyer. This would seem to be a very substantial transaction.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 7th September 2006 at 10:37 PM..
Old 8th September 2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Check out WHOIS info, and I'm pretty sure you will figure out who purchased my entire portfolio. P.S. My portfolio was up for sale on this forum for few months, and nobody seemed to be interested. Too bad you guys get interested after it changes its owner, who will NEVER sell even one name for that funny price he bought the entire portfolio that had over 80 generic IDNs
Man, for 80idns x $7 or $8 a pop....maybe total of $560 to $640 total investment you gave up the potential to hit an IDN home run.

You will have a l-o-n-g time to tell the story of the IDNs you sold off and how much money you "could" have made.

Not too late to get back on the IDN boat Alex!
Or is this just more smoke and mirrors as you secretly vacuum up the motherload of idns
Old 8th September 2006, 06:37 AM
Veteran

We don't know what was paid and we cannot be sure that it was his entire holding anyway. I suspect he made a substantial profit as the buyer would not have bought rubbish and has previously paid substantial amounts for the right names. One can only assume that Domenforum didn't buy rubbish. On balance, although we may never now the details, this looks like one of the biggest deals that has gone down to date.
Old 8th September 2006, 08:03 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

From Rambler Search Results:

still showing the url in punycode..but it is a start...
the term is:
Найти автомобиль в России (i get result#1)
Old 8th September 2006, 08:28 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Man, for 80idns x $7 or $8 a pop....maybe total of $560 to $640 total investment you gave up the potential to hit an IDN home run.

You will have a l-o-n-g time to tell the story of the IDNs you sold off and how much money you "could" have made.

Not too late to get back on the IDN boat Alex!
Or is this just more smoke and mirrors as you secretly vacuum up the motherload of idns

I guess he is looking at prime names. You know, some of us here are either "prime" or not at all.

He got quite a few in ASCII.ru, that he can live off comfortably.
Old 8th September 2006, 08:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I guess he is looking at prime names. You know, some of us here are either "prime" or not at all.

He got quite a few in ASCII.ru, that he can live off comfortably.
Well do you think? There is every likelihood that ASCII Type-in will dry up almost completely, and any traffic that he has due to SERP is going to be devastated once the search engines start indexing the Unicode properly. He might find his lazy little wide cloud evaporates in the sunshine. Still you can understand his misgivings about IDN, denial, however, is not a wise strategy.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 8th September 2006 at 12:47 PM..
Old 8th September 2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well do you think? There is every likelihood that ASCII Type-in will dry up almost completely, and any traffic that he has due to SERP is going to be devasted once the search engines start indexing the Unicode properly. He might find his lazy little wide cloud evaporates in the sunshine. Still you can understand his misgivings about IDN, denial, however, is not a wise strategy.
"Airplanes will never fly" they said barely 100 years ago...

"Why would anyone spend money to buy a Television when they already have a Radio" at 1939 World's Fair

Alas, how times change.
Old 8th September 2006, 12:23 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
We don't know what was paid and we cannot be sure that it was his entire holding anyway.
Posted by Alex on domenforum:

А я на днях продал своё портфолио из 85 IDNов за $2250 и на некоторое время забил на IDN.

I recently sold my entire porfolio of 85 IDNs for $2250 and for the time being, have given up on IDNs.