IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain For Sale

IDN Domain For Sale Want to sell your international domain names? Post them here. Please proceed with caution on all sales, do your own translation, & use an escrow service. IDN Forums does not check the validity of any sales posted by users. Please only post Domains with at least minimum prices for offers in this Forum. If you don't know how much you want do an appraisal first. Domains without min price will be placed in dumpster thread. Users may also buy a sticky for their topic at $10 per day for up to 7 days.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2006, 04:37 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 839
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Taking offers on:


صدام.com - xn--mgbpr0e.com
3.3 Million Google.com results
573 US OVT
Google Trends - Compared to الالعاب (Arabic for Games, a popular keyword)

Aside from the obvious, Saddam is also a very popular Arabic name. Take a look at the ASCII version, Saddam.com, on sale now at eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150032359687

Please PM offers. Posted at multiple forums.
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2006, 05:05 PM
idn's Avatar
idn idn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
Posts: 3,156
iTrader: (38)
Rep Power: 1240
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Great opportunity for you to list it on Ebay. Also, a great opportunity for you to spread the knowledge of Arabic idns! I would list it as "Saddam.com in Arabic"

Just my two cents.
__________________
NativeDomains.com
XBuild.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2006, 05:10 PM
bramiozo's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Haarlem
Posts: 2,251
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 928
bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Agreed, you should place it on the frontpage of ebay, a feature listing at least.

Maybe we can all chip in...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2006, 05:18 PM
idn's Avatar
idn idn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
Posts: 3,156
iTrader: (38)
Rep Power: 1240
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Agreed, you should place it on the frontpage of ebay, a feature listing at least.

Maybe we can all chip in...
Yes, start the action off at $.01 with a reserve if you wish. People on this forum will surely get it moving initially with bids.
__________________
NativeDomains.com
XBuild.com
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12th September 2006, 05:36 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 839
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

That's a good idea. I have some things to take care of this afternoon, but I am going to list it today, asap...
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13th September 2006, 09:21 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 839
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Here is the auction, in case you missed the other post:

Auction Link
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 03:00 AM
Armadillo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 62
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 493
Armadillo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Suggestion - I think you should link صدام.com to the punycode address so the link doesn't come up dead on your auction page. If you can't do that, just take the hyperlink out.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 03:41 AM
burnsinternet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: http://idn.icann.org
Posts: 2,238
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 719
burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

There are so many IDNs for sale on Ebay on any given day, are we going to promote them all?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 07:52 AM
domainguru's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (14)
Rep Power: 2514
domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

I thought one of the reasons we were here was to "promote IDNs". And then someone is attempting to profit from the name of one of the most brutal dictators of recent times, who committed mass genocide on his own countrymen, and nobody seems to bat an eyelid :o

And don't bother with that "it's a popular name" bunkem. We all know why the name was registered and is for sale.

Does nobody else care how this sort of "promotion" looks to the "outside world"? As for the suggestion "we all chip in to get it on the front page of eBay", that is so scary. I wonder what sort of "community" we have here ....
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 09:58 AM
bramiozo's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Haarlem
Posts: 2,251
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 928
bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Well what would that suggest ?

How that would look ? Do I care if someone else finds it "wrong" or "right" (I will not even start that discussion) based on nothing more than an abritrary preference of how things should be conducted without reasonable argument ?
NO, if next to the possibly highly exposed sale of saddam.com people are made aware of the fact that an arabic alternative is possible, why not ?
People will maybe point a finger to the seller (based on nothing) but not towards IDN in general, why would they ?

This is absolutely not a question of ethics but of opportunity and exposure, bad publicity, right. Domain names themselves have no moral value, unless they actually make morally relevant statements, it's as simple as that.

[What kind of the community this is ? The kind where people try to be altruists in giving away names for free when people are actually trying to sell names for hard cash, no one would take thát kind of business community seriously.]

In fact this is not a community at all but a hub of traders who use these forums to showcase their domains and to discuss the developments, why ? Eventually to better themselves in some shape or form. What's the best way to get the show on the road ? exposure
Preferably in a positive way, is this positive, yes, it's shows directly to the world that arabic idn's are possible and in this case it even show's why it would be a suitable alternative. It would be worth it even if it were a footnote in a broadcast somewhere in the middle-east.

Don't even try to question my moral standards based on supporting the sale of a domain when you provide nothing more than your one "taste" of what is and what is not "proper". If hitler.com popped up as available for some reason I wouldn't hesitate to register the name but sure I would be very careful in developing the name or in selling the name and that's as far as my moral obligations go.

People can do good or bad things with saddam.com, the moral act is not the sale itself but the use of the name, you can find the sale distasteful but there's no moral argument against it and it surely provides no argument against the technology that makes it possible.

I agree however that the extension is unfortunate, to explicitly state that the name saddam will be commercially exploited may be offensive to those who have suffered under his power. But then it would still be arbitrary since for most people .com is simply the first extension they think of when typing a domain in the browser, whether the site is dedicated to providing neutral information on the saddam era or whether it is dedicated to selling his autobiography.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 02:37 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 839
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Bram, I couldn't have stated it better.

I do, however, have a few things to say. First, thanks to all who offered to help with the listing and promotion of this name. I want to state that no one did help list it (and I don't expect them to) - simply for the fact that I don't want others bugging the people who volunteered to help, asking them to help promote every IDN on eBay.

DomainGuru - You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, even though I disagree with you. This domain happens to be the name of a dictator, but let's not forget that he is also an historic figure. World War II (as an example) was a war in which many people lost their lives, but would you object to the sale of that domain?

You are correct that it was registered because of the popularity of the name as it pertains to a specific person. However, the fact remains that it is a popular Arabic name. If you owned George.com, it would call to mind prominent people (i.e. George Bush, George Burns, George Clooney), but it is still a popular name. The reason for its registration doesn't change that.

The old adage - "there's no such thing as bad press" - holds true. People aren't going to see this auction and think, "What a terrible sale, these IDNs are immoral and evil;" they are going to say, "What a terrible/interesting/ingenious sale. Wow, I didn't even know you could have a domain in Arabic. I need to learn more." As Bram said, people may point the finger at me, but they aren't going to blame the technology that makes it possible any more than (in an extreme example) they blame the gun in a murder trial.

If you have watched any news for the past few years, you know that "Saddam" draws ratings. "Saddam" sells books and magazines. "Saddam" will sell movies. Major corporations profit off of these stories, articles, books and movies all the time, and they are "justified" in the name of newsworthiness and the public's right to know. This domain is no different. The potential for this domain as a news and info hub is off the charts.

If the name sells, I will be happy, of course. If it doesn't, then I will still own an outstanding Arabic domain. I have no problem with either scenario, as the main goal is to promote IDNs. Because of the potentially high-profile sale of Saddam.com (the ASCII version here), this was the best time and the baet name - basically the best opportunity - to try to garner some potentially high-profile IDN exposure. The kind of exposure that will hopefully help all who own IDNs.

Here's the link once more:

Auction Link
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 03:07 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: (65)
Rep Power: 2676
blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo

This is absolutely not a question of ethics but of opportunity and exposure, bad publicity, right. Domain names themselves have no moral value, unless they actually make morally relevant statements, it's as simple as that.
This is correct. However, offensive items have been known to be removed from sale from both ebay and this forum.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 14th September 2006 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 03:43 PM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

In the past there has been symbols put on the site that were highly offensive to certain people.
Each time the seller has taken agreed to not sell the domain on the forum.
Especially since I've gotten numerous PM's on it.
As far as the it's a common name idea.
It might hold some weight.
I mean I even know some Husseins in Tokyo.
I've seen the promotion of the ASCII domain Saddam.com on numerous forums recently.
A domain owned by a member does not reflect the opinion of the site or other members.

We do have a small community here, if you have any opinions of domains that you deem to be offensive, please PM me. If I receive numerous PMs from members I'll relay those to the seller. I will ask that you do treat the situation the same as you would on the other 4 forums the same domain might be posted on.
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 04:06 PM
bramiozo's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Haarlem
Posts: 2,251
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 928
bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
This is correct. However, offensive items have been known to be removed from sale from both ebay and this forum.
I would say that it's difficult to generalize "items" but surely the policy of ebay nor idnforums forms a moral yardstick in real life since these policies aim to suit purposes of which upholding moral standards is just an element. If a chinese name is on a blacklist of the chinese government would it be morally acceptable to remove the sale of such a name ? It's not an option from my perspective but for the chinese visitors it could mean they lose access to idnforums and idnforums should look at all the perspectives. The same for ebay of course, continuity of operation in all countries requires that all countries of operation are treated differently.

Would it be my style to go about and seek these controversial terms knowing people are reluctant to reg them out of fear or out of personal objection, no it would not but I do not see any moral objections either. I actually own 1 domain of similar stature, al queda.com in arabic, bought for a dollar and a dime back in the day on ebay. Tried to put a forum up so as to initiate conversations about the subject but it didn't do much, now it sits in my account, should I feel bad about that ?

No hard feelings towards David, but at the moment of writing I was somewhat irritated by a suspected 'tone' of writing.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 04:14 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 839
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

It's funny, but when I first reg'd the domain, I actually PM'd a member who I trust and whose opinion on the matter I value, to make sure that I wouldn't be offending anyone's culture, religion, etc. if I listed it for sale on the forum. The member brought up a great point/perspective, in that, it isn't the name necessarily, but what you do with the name that counts. I truly believe that to hold true. It would be easy to get embarrassing, degrading pictures online and develop the site using those. However, I saw the domain as an opportunity to own something of historical significance that can hold cultural and historical importance.

This domain has been offered on this forum in the past, and there hasn't been much public outcry...
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 09:28 PM
burnsinternet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: http://idn.icann.org
Posts: 2,238
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 719
burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Regarding my point, there really are some IDN domains for sale on Ebay every given day. Someone would call some of those domains rubbish, others here would call them ingenious, and others here would have no opinion. Many of us have purchased and/or sold IDNs on Ebay.

I don't think we can push some and not other domains at Ebay, DNF, etc. We can report whatever we want, but I remember a Dec 2005 post from a member begging for support when he sold some INCREDIBLE domains for cheap on Ebay. I learned (and benefitted) from that.

Do we have a policy or is this ad hoc?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 09:33 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 839
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

I don't understand, are you not happy that I posted about the auction here? Or are you under the impression that forum members helped pay for the auction? Because that is not the case...
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 10:00 PM
burnsinternet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: http://idn.icann.org
Posts: 2,238
iTrader: (15)
Rep Power: 719
burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
I don't understand, are you not happy that I posted about the auction here? Or are you under the impression that forum members helped pay for the auction? Because that is not the case...
Not at all. I just want to know the policies regarding promoting sales on other web sites. Nothing personal. I hope you make a million from it.

I have evil.com in Russian and I plan to make it an informational site about Stalin. Or a cool game site.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 10:11 PM
domainstosell's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,203
iTrader: (7)
Rep Power: 839
domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Not at all. I just want to know the policies regarding promoting sales on other web sites. Nothing personal. I hope you make a million from it.

I have evil.com in Russian and I plan to make it an informational site about Stalin. Or a cool game site.
LOL, thanks!
__________________
GasStations.org
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 14th September 2006, 10:27 PM
Olney's Avatar
A.W.O.L
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,747
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 0
Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: صدام.com - "SADDAM.com" in ARABIC

I think this is a good idea. I thought about it before, I just have to think of the guidelines before adding it.
But let's get back to his sale.


Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Not at all. I just want to know the policies regarding promoting sales on other web sites. Nothing personal. I hope you make a million from it.

I have evil.com in Russian and I plan to make it an informational site about Stalin. Or a cool game site.
__________________
テスト中: ベリーダンス : Japan SEM : カードローン
LosAngeles.jp (Not an IDN, yeah I do those too)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54