IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2006, 06:51 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
大和市.com is live...

Hi guys

Futher to Bill's announcement here I wanted to let you guys have a look at our first site -

大和市.com

It is very rough, and my very first site ever - so don't be too harsh on me guys!

A lot of work is left to be done, but I just wanted to use this as a test to prove to myself I could do it.

It will undergo some major layout changes, content improvement, code clean-up and SEO work before I am happy with it.

I am hoping to use it as a template for our planned city network.

Any translation errors, feedback, ideas, etc. is most appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited by seamo; 17th September 2006 at 08:33 AM..
Old 17th September 2006, 07:54 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: 大和市.com is live...

Looks neat to me.

I am completely useless, use others to do my work
Old 17th September 2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Looks neat to me.

I am completely useless, use others to do my work
Thanks Wot.

My budget constrains me - I have to do as much as I can.

The cool thing is, I am surprised at how relatively simple it is, and I am actually having a blast!
Old 17th September 2006, 08:11 AM

chaumi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say that's an impressive start for someone working from scratch. Can you say what design/hosting you're using?
Old 17th September 2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaumi
I'd say that's an impressive start for someone working from scratch. Can you say what design/hosting you're using?
Thanks very much chaumi

The template was free, and I am using Superedi as my text editor.

My hosting is with Hostgator due to the cheap price, unlimited domains, and nice cpanel interface.
Old 17th September 2006, 11:29 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you get the free template from?

I noticed hotelclub.com affiliate program, did you enrolled in that?

btw, isn't this the city that ca161s dropped? :p

One suggestion, try and create subpages - you can take the que from 上海.com.
Old 17th September 2006, 11:33 AM

chaumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool. Do you think it will be easy when you want/need to do more complex stuff? And did you investigate WYSIWYG editors, which appear to make the whole process simpler?
Old 17th September 2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring

The template came from oswd.org courtesy of a heads up from one of our forum members - I think it was thegenius1

Yes I enrolled in Hotelclub.net's affiliate program - it rocks! Full Japanese language support, specific booking scripts for major Japanese cities, etc. Again, courtesy of thegenius1

ca161s figured there wasn't much hotel action in Yamato...(though others disagreed)

上海.com - thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaumi
Do you think it will be easy when you want/need to do more complex stuff? And did you investigate WYSIWYG editors, which appear to make the whole process simpler?
I think this is all 'hard' for a newbie. At 33 I am waaay behind the eight ball. But as long as I keep re-regging my city IDN's, I have time to learn!

As far as WYSIWYG goes, I steered clear of it. Why? Well the best way to explain is this - with WYSIWYG you tend to be using tools and creating stuff that at the end of the day can leave you with little understanding of how or why. I dabbled with it a year or so ago, and didn't end up with anything to show for it.

This time I used a book called "10 Easy Steps To HTML" and the text editor Superedi....and I have learned a lot in a very short time!
Old 17th September 2006, 12:56 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Congratulations Seamo, nice job putting together your first website and in Japanese too! I think that is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

And thanks to everyone who has sent us ideas for SEO, indexing, and linking for our idncities listings. Just one bit of information to share that came in from a couple of experts. If you are working on any lists of your idns to work to toward indexing, do not put more than 50 "hot" links on any single page of your website.
Old 17th September 2006, 01:24 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Seamo
Looks great, nice job. How many more do you have in the development pipeline? They say things get easier the more you do them, you should be able to crank them out now.

Very nice
tee1
Old 17th September 2006, 01:53 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Congratulations Seamo, nice job putting together your first website and in Japanese too! I think that is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

And thanks to everyone who has sent us ideas for SEO, indexing, and linking for our idncities listings. Just one bit of information to share that came in from a couple of experts. If you are working on any lists of your idns to work to toward indexing, do not put more than 50 "hot" links on any single page of your website.
That is interesting. What do you mean by "hot" links? As opposed to what, Bill? Yesterday I took this domain of mine live hoping to use it to link to relevant city pages. 県庁.com It must have close to 100 links on a single page albeit not to my own domains. Would this be an issue?

Last edited by rhys; 17th September 2006 at 02:00 PM..
Old 17th September 2006, 02:27 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring

That's the way, once the flippers see that the goods can't be sold for an ideal price, it will be dropped and open for getting.
Old 17th September 2006, 04:24 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
That is interesting. What do you mean by "hot" links? As opposed to what, Bill? Yesterday I took this domain of mine live hoping to use it to link to relevant city pages. 県庁.com It must have close to 100 links on a single page albeit not to my own domains. Would this be an issue?
I guess that my noob term for a link that when you (click on it) takes you on to that webpage. Maybe just called a link? Sorry for any confusion. PM coming to you.
Old 17th September 2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Thanks Bill - your encouragement has helped me to keep going when I have wondered if it was worth all the late nights!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1
Looks great, nice job. How many more do you have in the development pipeline? They say things get easier the more you do them, you should be able to crank them out now.
Thanks tee1.

As far as how big this is going to get, I'm not sure. At least 100 + sites.

You're right - the idea is to get a nice, flexible template together so that eventually I can mass produce sites by altering as little code as possible. The slowest part will be in creating decent content for each site.
Old 17th September 2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Thanks Bill - your encouragement has helped me to keep going when I have wondered if it was worth all the late nights! Thanks tee1.
As far as how big this is going to get, I'm not sure. At least 100 + sites.
You're right - the idea is to get a nice, flexible template together so that eventually I can mass produce sites by altering as little code as possible. The slowest part will be in creating decent content for each site.
And if anyone knows any Japanese college students that might want to freelance a bit on editing and writing for Japanese city sites, please put us in contact. No website experience needed, but is helpful. Thanks.