IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   Internationalized Domain Name News (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/internationalized-domain-name-news/)
-   -   IE7 beta 2 has just gone public... (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/687-ie7-beta-2-has-just-gone-public.html)

Edwin 31st January 2006 08:59 PM

IE7 beta 2 has just gone public...

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

gammascalper 31st January 2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin

AWESOME! Downloading now.

gammascalper 31st January 2006 09:12 PM

DOH - I'm running 2000. Darn it.

touchring 31st January 2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammascalper
DOH - I'm running 2000. Darn it.

Haha, same problem as me. I'm a Win2k diehard - still using my 6-year old P3. ;-)

gammascalper 31st January 2006 09:21 PM

We'll have to live through the screenshots of others :-)

Edwin 31st January 2006 09:23 PM

I'm especially interested in hearing what happens if you visit an IDN of the same language as your OS. Does it still pop up a warning, or do you sail right through...?

gammascalper 31st January 2006 09:35 PM

Quote:

I'm especially interested in hearing what happens if you visit an IDN of the same language as your OS. Does it still pop up a warning, or do you sail right through...?

I just heard that it is clear sailing and the URL is displayed in unicode. Nice.

sarcle 31st January 2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Nope you sail right through. It shows the domain in full unicode, no warning no nothing. All of my idns just jumped in price!

The really did well on this. It's clear, easy to use. Although will take some getting used to as it's so different than all the other browsers.

But be prepared guys. This IS what we have been waiting for.

touchring 31st January 2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammascalper
I just heard that it is clear sailing and the URL is displayed in unicode. Nice.

Does the language code used when the domain was registered affect this?

sarcle 31st January 2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
Does the language code used when the domain was registered affect this?

I don't know. Send me a domain that you messed up on the right language code and I will check it.

Olney 31st January 2006 10:34 PM

This is big news
I just got a PC laptop will be testing it on it.

& I added it to the blog...
Thanks guys

Rubber Duck 31st January 2006 10:44 PM

Stuff the Technical stuff. I need a drink!

Dave

Rubber Duck 31st January 2006 11:33 PM

Interestingly enough I sold Landgrab.net today.

I can't help wondering whether the buyer is an IDNer with a plan or just another no hoper!

Dave

Dillpupp 1st February 2006 12:00 AM

Just downloaded it...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong,but I can't get any of my IDN's to work.I try accessing ₩.com and it just rapidly clicks as though I were hitting Return very fast and it takes me nowhere.
I tried adding languages too...does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

sarcle 1st February 2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillpupp
Just downloaded it...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong,but I can't get any of my IDN's to work.I try accessing ₩.com and it just rapidly clicks as though I were hitting Return very fast and it takes me nowhere.
I tried adding languages too...does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

₩.com Works fine for me in IE7. No punycode or anything. Works like it should.

Dillpupp 1st February 2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcle
₩.com Works fine for me in IE7. No punycode or anything. Works like it should.

Bizzare...some setting must be off or wrong on mine....I can't even enter an IDN via "xn--"...xn--izg.com gives me the same rapid clicking result..

Rubber Duck 1st February 2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

Bizzare...some setting must be off or wrong on mine....I can't even enter an IDN via "xn--"...xn--izg.com gives me the same rapid clicking result..

Well, thats what a Beta is for! Its something for the Developers to suck on, whilst they try and figure out how to get the bloody thing to work!

Dave

Dillpupp 1st February 2006 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Well, thats what a Beta is for! Its something for the Developers to suck on, whilst they try and figure out how to get the bloody thing to work!

Dave

True.I just fired off an email to IETell@microsoft.com about the issue.Weird that it works just great for everyone else though.Now I'm bummed..

Rubber Duck 1st February 2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

True.I just fired off an email to IETell@microsoft.com about the issue.Weird that it works just great for everyone else though.Now I'm bummed..

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I am on Firefox 1.07. I am hugely delighted that IE 7.0 has finally gone NATIVE, so the my already enourmous hypothetical fortune is even theoretically larger than it was yesterday. However, in terms of my own browser requirements, I intend to do absolutely nothing. If Sarcle says the bloody thing works, thats good enough for me!

Dave

bwhhisc 1st February 2006 12:40 AM

We got it going, now just need some "live" sites not parking pages. We put the name in the Search Bar: извращенец.com, and then the punycode appears in the URL and points to site (or so far just to parking sites).

I think its working...can someone give us some live IDN sites to test. Nothing boring...if you know what I mean. LOL We're testing here!