IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2006, 04:21 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Prediction: IE7 update will be a "stampede"

QUOTE FROM ARTICLE: Every other browser upgrade, whether Microsoft's or one by a competitor, has been phased in slowly. Because Microsoft will automatically update every Windows XP SP2 system to IE 7, however, Litofsky thinks this update will be a "stampede."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060930/tc_cmp/193100704
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:54 PM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Prediction: IE7 update will be a "stampede"

Great news Bill. The fact that IE7 is coming out over the holiday season will cause more hub bub than expected... it's a shame that the IDN capabilities of IE7 won't be at the forefront of exposure.
Old 2nd October 2006, 02:05 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar
Great news Bill. The fact that IE7 is coming out over the holiday season will cause more hub bub than expected... it's a shame that the IDN capabilities of IE7 won't be at the forefront of exposure.
Actually, the writer of the article is suggesting that IE7 will need to come out well IN ADVANCE of the holiday season so that the Web based merchants and E-Commerce businesses have time to sort out the bugs, and make sure their systems and websites are ready to handle the huge spikes of online Christmas shoppers.

To release IE7 in late November or early December has potential implications for problems that can not be predicted until it happens. For that reason, I believe it seems logical that IE7 will be released "sooner" than later to get the system in place and allow time for fine tuning by endusers.

JMO
Old 2nd October 2006, 02:53 PM

vgemito is an unknown quantity at this point

The downloading of IE7 may have "stampede" proportions, but I believe that the effect of IE7 on IDNs has been erroneously hyped on this forum and elsewhere beyond all reality. Yes, IE7 is essential to the acceptance of IDNs. But it will not be the kiss of the handsome Prince to Sleeping Beauty. We all wish it were so, but instead of waking up instantly, IDNs will perhaps get a modest boost, then settle down to a steady process of growth. Anyone who believes that the domain world will change dramatically overnight is, in my opinion, fooling themselves. As an IDN holder, of course, I hope I am wrong but I'm not betting on it.

Maybe when the dust settles, or when little or no dust at all appears, we can move beyond the "Kaching" and "How am I doin?" mentality and move on to reality.

Regards
Old 2nd October 2006, 03:14 PM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with you on the point that there will only be an initial modest bump in IDN traffic, however, I think that that "modest bump" will really be all that is needed to drive this market into a speculation stage with speculative prices.

The big players who have not yet already bought into IDNs are probably waiting for some assurance that IDNs will have a reasonable level of success in order to hedge their bets.

Given the rapid development of the ASCII domain market, I do not think that it will take a genius to do the math on the future of IDNs.
Old 2nd October 2006, 04:06 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgemito
As an IDN holder, of course, I hope I am wrong but I'm not betting on it.
Fortunately, you are wrong

We don't expect a big jump of the traffic instantly from IE7, but the release itself is a very big factor in dispelling all the uncertainty about IDN. IE7 is very crucial in determining if your investment will turn into a profit.

The release will also be a big event because all the countries that use IDN will start promoting their IDNs in a big way.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 2nd October 2006, 04:33 PM

ScottFish is an unknown quantity at this point

I do think its going to take a little while for people to get used to using idns.
Old 2nd October 2006, 04:59 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish
I do think its going to take a little while for people to get used to using idns.
however the main keywords already have a few hundred w/ extension... I expect $ to start rolling in soon.
Old 2nd October 2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish
I think it will vary by locale.

I don't know the exact Internet uptake rates, but I'm thinking that certain places like China and India have huge numbers of new users coming onstream on a daily basis.

Those people won't know about the prior limitatin of domain names and if they're on IDN compatible browsers, they'll naturally type in domains in their own language.

I guess this argument really means that the release of DNAME will make a bigger difference than the IE7 autoupdate (although not mutually exclusive of course).
Old 2nd October 2006, 08:05 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I too agree that IE7 will be a major boost but some countries may take a year or two before IDNs become mainstream. I too hope I'm wrong but I think after IE7, seeing developed sites is also important.
Old 3rd October 2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I too agree that IE7 will be a major boost but some countries may take a year or two before IDNs become mainstream. I too hope I'm wrong but I think after IE7, seeing developed sites is also important.
I think the current developed sites will "adopt" IDNs and probably keep thier ascii pointing to their site as well. People and businesses with websites will be the first to start the next rush to register idns when IE7 gets out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar
Don't be surprised if you see all your favorite companies sporting their new IDNs by Christmas! This is an ad agencies dream come true. Holiday advertising and rebranding of companies IDN in the same period; big bonus checks will be on the table 1st quarter 07' for the sales guys.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 3rd October 2006 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost