IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:52 AM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
CancúnHotel.com is now live!

I finally finished development of my first IDN site: CancúnHotel.com. I decided to focus on this site first because of its commercial appeal as well as the fact that it is what I have heard called an "Ultimate IDN" (I believe Jose or Genius coined that term), in that it gets OVT search results in many different languages' OVT tools. I will run through an example below, but first a few of the site features:

* The site can be viewed in a total of 10 languages: English, Arabic, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese and Chinese

* The site uses a hotel affiliate plus Adsense for monetization

* Because of the way the site is translated, search engines can (and hopefully will) index it in each language variation

* More hotels will be available to add, and I will be working to add additional content. The site has around 50-60 pages now (not including the forums). Also, because of the translation function, it makes your site appear to be roughly 9 times larger (because of the 9 other languages aside from English in which every page can be viewed).

* The following domains also point to CancúnHotel.com: CancúnHotel.net, CancúnHotels.net, CancúnVacations.com, MéxicoTravel.com, TravelMéxico.com, and CancunHotelPackages.com (ASCII). Also, メキシコホテル.com (MexicoHotel.com in Japanese; 328 JP OVT) and カンクンホテル.com (CancúnHotel.com in Japanese; 2,014 JP OVT) direct to the Japanese index page.

Here are a few OVT stats on the domains:

Cancún Hotel - 256 AU OVT (without the accent mark); 120 AT OVT; 33 CA OVT; 24 DK OVT (without the accent mark); 71 FI OVT (without the accent mark); 6,259 FR OVT; 3,468 DE OVT; 12 HK OVT (without the accent mark); 4,581 IT OVT; 16 KR OVT (without the accent mark); 470 NL OVT; 90 NO OVT; 3,045 ES OVT; 103 CH OVT; 4,665 UK OVT (without the accent mark); 14,257 US OVT (without the accent mark)

Cancún Vacations - 7 DK OVT (without the accent mark); 7 FI OVT (without the accent mark); 1,905 FR OVT; 1,419 DE OVT; 13 NL OVT; 7 NO OVT; 3,567 ES OVT; 26 CH OVT; 9,285 US OVT (without the accent mark)

Travel México - 20 AT OVT; 5 BR OVT; 14 CA OVT; 161 DK OVT; 23 FI OVT; 1,086 FR OVT; 1,058 DE OVT; 473 IT OVT; 77 JP OVT (without the accent marks); 12 KR OVT (without the accent marks); 375 NL OVT; 157 NO OVT; 612 ES OVT; 10 CH OVT;

México Travel - 618 AU OVT (without the accent mark); 31 AT OVT; 21 BR OVT; 390 DK OVT; 33 FI OVT; 3,161 FR OVT; 3,057 DE OVT; 16 HK OVT (without the accent mark); 1,180 IT OVT; 49 JP OVT (without the accent marks); 230 KR OVT (without the accent marks); 887 NL OVT; 250 NO OVT; 2,363 ES OVT; 50 CH OVT; 5 TW OVT (without the accent mark); 12,993 UK OVT (without the accent mark); 939,690 US OVT (without the accent mark)

Sorry about the inormation overload, I am just excited about completing the development phase of this site. The next phase is marketing and trying to get the site well-indexed. I included all of this information to illustrate the demand in many languages based on keyword searches. Even in laguages where they have a completely different translation for "hotel", "travel" and "vacations", these keywords still ranked, sometimes higher than the actual translation.

I appreciate your thoughts, advice, criticism, comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2006, 05:16 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: CancúnHotel.com is now live!

Great Job on your site it looks Awesome , i would be excited aswell
Old 3rd October 2006, 05:25 AM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Great Job on your site it looks Awesome , i would be excited aswell
Thanks Genius!
Old 3rd October 2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Safari could not open the page “http://cancúnhotel.com/translate/es/?/index.html” because the server stopped responding.
Old 3rd October 2006, 09:20 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Looks great but there's an error with the code-tags:

Find and change <script langauage="javascript"> .

Nicely done anyway, did you outsource the translation ?
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:15 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Great site domaintosell!

Looks awesome :o Very professional.

Did you put this together yourself or get a coder to do it?
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:29 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

You should be excited to have created that website! Congratulations.
Can you tell us a bit about how the affiliate pays you for rooms booked?

I believe you have earned 'Top Bragging Rights' for the moment and THANKS for sharing this with all of us.
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Looks great but there's an error with the code-tags:

Find and change <script langauage="javascript"> .

Nicely done anyway, did you outsource the translation ?
Thanks for catching that bram. For the translation, I used a free program I found online. It is all machine-translated, which is probably why Drewbert got that error; it relies on Google Translation to translate the page. The main drawbacks to this is that the translation is (or can be) a little goofy, and it doesn't want to maintain the translation through the links, meaning you have to re-translate each page (except Chinese for some reason, but I can't figure out why...).

If anyone wants the link to the translation program (it is on a forum), just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Great site domaintosell!

Looks awesome Very professional.

Did you put this together yourself or get a coder to do it?
Thanks, I did it myself in just under 3 weeks. I am no coder at all, so I started with a template and read up on how to make changes. Making IDNcyclopedia.com helped in the learning process (I used the same basic template, actually). The only issue I have now is that it doesn't display properly on Firefox - the javascript calendar is messing it all up, and I really don't know how to fix it. If I take the search calendar off, it works fine on all browsers, so I may take it off (although I like having it on there)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
You should be excited to have created that website! Congratulations.
Can you tell us a bit about how the affiliate pays you for rooms booked?

I believe you have earned 'Top Bragging Rights' for the moment and THANKS for sharing this with all of us.
Thanks! The affiliate is ian.com, they power hotels.com, among others. The comission is set up on a tierd scale, meaning you get about 10% for a hotel booking, more for a cruise, and you can get up to 50% for a full vacation package. My main idea when creating the site, though, was that the hotel affiliate would provide the content, and any bookings I get would be gravy, but I hope to make more on the Adsense portion. It should do well since it is so targeted - that tends to have a higher click-through ratio. My biggest problem now (aside from the Firefox thing) is to draw traffic.
Old 28th April 2009, 08:24 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

bump
Old 28th April 2009, 03:29 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
bump
LOL. Any special last minute promotions?!
Old 28th April 2009, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Before Swine Flu closes it down, or before the Greenland ice shelf drops into the sea and Cancun is submerged?