IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2006, 02:39 PM

anglinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Your Opinion on .mobi

I registered the following domains:

tvphone.mobi
hitek.mobi
citimap.mobi
flydirect.mobi
fotoshop.mobi
onlinesingles.mobi
dubaimobile.mobi

Which ones do you like? Which ones do you dislike? Trying to decide which ones to sell and which ones to keep and develop.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated...

Tony
Old 4th October 2006, 05:04 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Your Opinion on .mobi

Your Opinion on .mobi ?

Mine is that most of them that have be regged are pretty bad , they kept a massive list for themeselves. But it all boils down to you dont need .mobi to access sites online.
Old 4th October 2006, 05:22 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

The idea behind .mobi was that it would be restricted to content that could be viewed easily on handheld devices.

However, user-agent negotiation as well as the increasing capabilties of hand held devices, such as running Opera, allows for regular sites to server hand helds with ease.

Also, .mobi is pretty long of a word. And it sounds funny in some languages.

Do you want to have 1 smart domain that is your brand? Or do you want to have a regular domain, and then a .mobi just for your hand held device users?
Old 4th October 2006, 06:34 PM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy

also if it's not a IDN related subject, it 's good to diversify a portfolio.

We we lucky, as we got

algerie.mobi
fujairah.mobi (one the Emirates)
maghreb.mobi
medecine.mobi
renseignement.mobi (information)
chanson.mobi (song)
blague.mobi (joke)
photographie.mobi
cotedazur.mobi
reserver.mobi (booking)

and others.

SEDO Parking is working, but we will develope some of them.

It is only interesting that the mobi comsortium has established a 'premium list' for names they considered as untouchable (like animal....) but they let register others
business.mobi

DABSI
Old 5th October 2006, 12:43 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
also if it's not a IDN related subject, it 's good to diversify a portfolio.

We we lucky, as we got

algerie.mobi
fujairah.mobi (one the Emirates)
maghreb.mobi
medecine.mobi
renseignement.mobi (information)
chanson.mobi (song)
blague.mobi (joke)
photographie.mobi
cotedazur.mobi
reserver.mobi (booking)

and others.

SEDO Parking is working, but we will develope some of them.

It is only interesting that the mobi comsortium has established a 'premium list' for names they considered as untouchable (like animal....) but they let register others
business.mobi

DABSI

The business type regs were "trademark" regs - you know- like all those generic names that somebody has added an obscure tm to to- just like .eu - that furore soon disappeared. Ssh - don't want that one coming back to hit eurid - again!

I did get three in a moment of weakness- NewYorkState.mobi , TelephoneNumber.mobi and one so bad I won't even mention it.
Old 5th October 2006, 12:59 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think that the mobi extension was created to inspire more mobile browsing in the US.
All the companies that support it directly get paid from it if people browse more via their phones.
I'd support an extension too if everytime the domain had a visitor my company got a 1/5 chance of earning revenue.

I think it will be pushed more by companies but will consumers "Get it"?
Old 5th October 2006, 04:51 AM

Unfortunately, these are solid arguments.

We never know, rules of the games are similar to an IPO.
Everebody should learn out of it; regarding .eu, it's in deed a flop.......for the moment.
At MOBI there is no rush, the price is too high, costs of 1 MOBI = costs of 10 IDN = soon revenues of 50 ASCII

DABSI
Old 5th October 2006, 05:51 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I just thought that numbers are better for .mobi.

My opinion is that .mobi will end up like idn. For the first few years, virtually no one will use it, and some people drop the names. One difference though, the damage will be 10 times idn a year!

If it takes 5 years to take off, are you guys prepared to pay the equivalent of 50 idns for each .mobi? Though, i think it's still possible to take profit by immediately flipping the names, generic ones, that you just got.

Diversification? I don't buy that idea. Diversification is to invest money on other things than domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I think that the mobi extension was created to inspire more mobile browsing in the US.
All the companies that support it directly get paid from it if people browse more via their phones.
I'd support an extension too if everytime the domain had a visitor my company got a 1/5 chance of earning revenue.

I think it will be pushed more by companies but will consumers "Get it"?

There might be something to learn about the Japanese experience. We know from the media that the Japanese are crazy about imode. Imode has been popular for at least 6 years and is already a mature technology.

How is monetarization like for imode? Does imode use a special extension or just the .com? Is there a PPC program for imode?

Last edited by touchring; 5th October 2006 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 5th October 2006, 10:29 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Dot What? Is this for Whale Fishermen or something?
Old 5th October 2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Sarcasm aside (RD ) I took 2ndhand.mobi, easy enough to put an ebay store up there .
Old 5th October 2006, 12:30 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

iMode doesn't need a special extension & for the Japanese they are already used to using an iMode Navi. It's pretty simple to make an iMode site.
I've heard that Taiwan also uses cell phones a lot for email (text messaging)
So I'd assume that it's not just Japan that already has users viewing content via their phones.

It is good to diversify, except for my IDN portfolio everything I register from now on is only for development.

But make sure it makes sense.

Google was already testing mobile ads for advertisers but I'm not sure when it will be available to publishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
There might be something to learn about the Japanese experience. We know from the media that the Japanese are crazy about imode. Imode has been popular for at least 6 years and is already a mature technology.

How is monetarization like for imode? Does imode use a special extension or just the .com? Is there a PPC program for imode?
Old 5th October 2006, 04:49 PM

Google has been asked to say more on this issue (during the sedopro partner forum, Head of 'Commercial/Marketing Europe' was attending), but was 'reluctant' in giving any signal.

It means they are working on it.

DABSI