IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Special Character IDN Domains

Special Character IDN Domains Discuss novelty IDN Domains, Special Character Domains & Digbat Domains.. This is only for IDN Domains that can be typed with the same character set or single character dingbat domains. We do not allow IDN domains that look like an existing domain & may be used for IDN spoofing or IDN domain phishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2007, 06:32 PM

gus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?

you are right rubber duck, I couldn't find anything on the San Juan's web site neither.
I guess we'll have to continue waiting...
Old 7th February 2010, 04:48 AM

spacey is an unknown quantity at this point

what happened with all this .......were they banned ??
Old 7th February 2010, 07:10 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Defined out of existence in the standard specification that converts unicode to punycode, which now does a lookup of a table of allowed characters. Note that most browsers still use the old conversion standard.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 7th February 2010 at 07:11 AM..
Old 7th February 2010, 08:24 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Defined out of existence in the standard specification that converts unicode to punycode, which now does a lookup of a table of allowed characters. Note that most browsers still use the old conversion standard.
That pretty much sums it up, although I would choose 'defined out of any resemblance of functionality.' instead of, 'out of existence'. I'm pretty sure the ones that currently exist will have the opportunity to continue to exist, albeit bereft of any concrete purpose or function.

Symbol domains are destined to be the evolutionary castoffs and dead ends of the Internet. Just like your own physiology still displays remnants of its long forgotten past in the form of your tail-bone, appendix, tonsils, etc, these symbol domains will someday only exist in whois form only.

Please understand that I am not just a naysayer. I happen to own an example of these symbol domains. In fact I possess one that is even particularly unique among symbol domains because it can actually be typed in some cultures. I have in my collection ₤.com which means Lira. This symbol was once the symbol for currency for many countries. It has since largely been replaced by the € but it is still used in Turkey. Indeed Turkish keyboards have a key for ₤ just like our keyboards have an $.

I am reconciled to the fact that someday this domain will cease to function and will never resolve again. It will only continue to exist as an entry in the whois as long as the yearly fee continues to be paid.

To that end you might ask, Why continue to renew it? If it has no function why allow it to exist?

The only answer to that is rarity and the collectible aspect that accompanies the same.

Consider Symbolics.com for example. The first domain ever registered. even it has a collectible component: Symbolics
Somebody searched it out and obtained it simply because they felt it had some rare historic significance.

Just like ancient coins that cannot be traded directly for a loaf of bread anywhere on the planet for lack of a country to trade it in...

These symbol domains are destined to be curiosities, and perhaps badges of honor for the most dedicated domainers.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:16 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

ICANN not only controls the Root but also the gTLD registries and the registrars. They are going into every aspect of IDN. I am sure they will not overlook the need to ban symbol domains. I don't believe it is just the functionality that you will lose. But you will almost certainly be compensated by a free registration. So they are worth reg fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
That pretty much sums it up, although I would choose 'defined out of any resemblance of functionality.' instead of, 'out of existence'. I'm pretty sure the ones that currently exist will have the opportunity to continue to exist, albeit bereft of any concrete purpose or function.

Symbol domains are destined to be the evolutionary castoffs and dead ends of the Internet. Just like your own physiology still displays remnants of its long forgotten past in the form of your tail-bone, appendix, tonsils, etc, these symbol domains will someday only exist in whois form only.

Please understand that I am not just a naysayer. I happen to own an example of these symbol domains. In fact I possess one that is even particularly unique among symbol domains because it can actually be typed in some cultures. I have in my collection ₤.com which means Lira. This symbol was once the symbol for currency for many countries. It has since largely been replaced by the € but it is still used in Turkey. Indeed Turkish keyboards have a key for ₤ just like our keyboards have an $.

I am reconciled to the fact that someday this domain will cease to function and will never resolve again. It will only continue to exist as an entry in the whois as long as the yearly fee continues to be paid.

To that end you might ask, Why continue to renew it? If it has no function why allow it to exist?

The only answer to that is rarity and the collectible aspect that accompanies the same.

Consider Symbolics.com for example. The first domain ever registered. even it has a collectible component: Symbolics
Somebody searched it out and obtained it simply because they felt it had some rare historic significance.

Just like ancient coins that cannot be traded directly for a loaf of bread anywhere on the planet for lack of a country to trade it in...

These symbol domains are destined to be curiosities, and perhaps badges of honor for the most dedicated domainers.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 7th February 2010 at 09:17 AM..
Old 10th March 2011, 03:15 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2873...l-domains.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Does anyone read any of the technical stuff?

Symbols are just about dead.

http://icann.org/topics/idn/idn-guidelines-26apr07.pdf

5. Permissible code points will not include:

5.1 geometric and line-drawing symbols such as those in the Unicode Drawing and Box Element blocks.

5.2 symbols and icons that are neither alphanumeric nor ideographic language characters, such as typographic and pictographic dingbats,

5.3 characters will well-established functions as protocol elements,

5.4 punctuation marks used solely to indicate the structure of sentences,

5.5 punctuation marks that are used within words, with the possible exception of those that are not excluded by any of the preceding points, are essential to the language represented by the IDN, and are associated with explicit prescriptive rules about the context in which they may be used.
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:10 AM

damitssam is an unknown quantity at this point

BUMP. I still own the euro sign .cc ... i hear it still WORKS on browsers when you type it in. I can understand when most of these symbols aren't a direct type in... but the euro symbol is on almost every european keyboard... if a domain is grandfathered in, will it just continue to sit there?
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

There IS NO grandfathers between IDNF2003 and IDNA2008

If it's working at the moment it's because someone is using a browser/platform that isn't IDNA2008 compliant.