IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   Special Character IDN Domains (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/special-character-idn-domains/)
-   -   £.com €.com Support in IE7? (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/7153-%C2%A3-com-%E2%82%AC-com-support-in-ie7.html)

blastfromthepast 15th October 2006 03:07 AM

£.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...241a6ccd015260

Did they fix this?

jose 15th October 2006 07:33 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Guess not. I have send emails asking for them to solve this and posted 2 or 4 replies on MSDN ie blog about this. It doesn't makes sense to encode € as "Zyyy" when it's part of all european keyboards.

WHAT MORE CAN WE DO?

Also, I think it's out of their hands. It's an ICANN issue!! We should ask them, not Micro$oft.

Drewbert 16th October 2006 02:14 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
This is NOT an ICANN issue. It's a Microsoft issue.

Safari works with £.com no problems.

Rubber Duck 16th October 2006 11:01 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbert
This is NOT an ICANN issue. It's a Microsoft issue.

Safari works with £.com no problems.

Yes, another example of US-centric navel gazing.

blastfromthepast 16th October 2006 11:04 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
A lot of things work in Safari with no problems. Like IDNs for the last few years.

Start a big campaign to have them include £ and € in the English language domain definition.

jose 16th October 2006 07:13 PM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbert
This is NOT an ICANN issue. It's a Microsoft issue.

Safari works with £.com no problems.

Microsoft is to blame, you're right, but only on a very small part. See who else is to blame: http://www.unicode.org/consortium/memblogo.html

Drewbert, I KNOW what I am talking about. Safari and Opera have no issues becasue they don't care about the language script encoding. € and £ are on the "Zyyy" (Common)... that's were the problem is. http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/Scripts.txt

This was done by Universities on India, Pakistan and EUA. Europe was, as usual on things like this, left behind and thus the problems we're having. Should we contant the European Union?!

blastfromthepast 16th October 2006 09:12 PM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Jose, I've got a few nice € domains I'd like to see work. If you want to contact anyone, I'd be happy to sign up as well.

jose 16th October 2006 09:50 PM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Jose, I've got a few nice € domains I'd like to see work. If you want to contact anyone, I'd be happy to sign up as well.

Ok. Thanks. Anyone else wants to join us?

In the meanwhile, I'll try to find out who should we address.

Drewbert 17th October 2006 05:00 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jose
Microsoft is to blame, you're right, but only on a very small part. See who else is to blame: http://www.unicode.org/consortium/memblogo.html

Drewbert, I KNOW what I am talking about. Safari and Opera have no issues becasue they don't care about the language script encoding. € and £ are on the "Zyyy" (Common)... that's were the problem is. http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/Scripts.txt

This was done by Universities on India, Pakistan and EUA. Europe was, as usual on things like this, left behind and thus the problems we're having. Should we contant the European Union?!

OK. Gotcha, but then this isn't an ICANN issue, it's a UNICODE CONSORTIUM issue.

GOOD LUCK dealing with those guys - pretty sure they're run like the United Nations. :)

The whole thing is caused by Microsoft blocking multi-script IDN's in an effort to prevent phishing?

Preferably this sort of thing should be done at the registry level, rather than browser level, of course. Which they appears to be doing now, banning new registrations of domains having punctuation and symbols.

blastfromthepast 17th October 2006 05:14 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Who here owns €.com?

jose 17th October 2006 07:50 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Who here owns €.com?

The owner asked me 9k one year ago for it.

touchring 17th October 2006 07:54 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jose
The owner asked me 9k one year ago for it.


If microsoft doesn't support it, it's not going to worth even 1k.

jose 18th October 2006 07:26 PM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
There's hope, after all. From the ie team:

@Jose: It's possible that certain characters will be permitted to mix in a future release of IE. This depends on a variety of factors, including future standards, the phishing environment, and the user-scenarios that such a change would enable

blastfromthepast 18th October 2006 08:12 PM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jose
There's hope, after all. From the ie team:

@Jose: It's possible that certain characters will be permitted to mix in a future release of IE. This depends on a variety of factors, including future standards, the phishing environment, and the user-scenarios that such a change would enable

A pretty lame response. What does € have to do with phishing?

burnsinternet 31st October 2006 02:06 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
I have the same problem with 1¢.com, ♀♀.com, and other zyyy domains. No possible phishing risk here, but no way to see it.

However, my ǃ.com, ɛ.com, ɑ.com, and other funky domains show up OK as LATIN. Strange!

Absalon 31st October 2006 02:42 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jose
Ok. Thanks. Anyone else wants to join us?

In the meanwhile, I'll try to find out who should we address.

I've got a small stake in this as well so I could also send some emails or eqiuvalent measure that you choose.

blastfromthepast 31st October 2006 04:56 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I have the same problem with 1¢.com, ♀♀.com, and other zyyy domains. No possible phishing risk here, but no way to see it.

However, my ǃ.com, ɛ.com, ɑ.com, and other funky domains show up OK as LATIN. Strange!

¿You sure you have !.com and not ¡.com? I'm pleased to say €1000.com is starting to get traffic.

burnsinternet 31st October 2006 05:15 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Yes, xn--ija.com (Unicode 01C3). Latin Letter Retroflex Click. It was one of my sillier registrations in 2005, but it looks exactly like an exclamation point.

Only gets bot traffic, but I have a hard time letting it drop. By the way, China Dior Industrial Co.,Ltd. has the .net but I don't know why.

My symbol domains and pseudo-Latin domains do not seem to be allowed. Not sure why.

touchring 31st October 2006 06:15 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I have the same problem with 1¢.com, ♀♀.com, and other zyyy domains. No possible phishing risk here, but no way to see it.

However, my ǃ.com, ɛ.com, ɑ.com, and other funky domains show up OK as LATIN. Strange!


1¢.com worked. I bought a symbol a while ago, thk goodness that worked! Phew.

burnsinternet 31st October 2006 06:26 AM

Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
1¢.com worked. I bought a symbol a while ago, thk goodness that worked! Phew.

You mean you can see it in IE7? Tell me how! It is zyyy and I cannot see any symbol domains like that. Can you see any € domains?


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54