IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Special Character IDN Domains

Special Character IDN Domains Discuss novelty IDN Domains, Special Character Domains & Digbat Domains.. This is only for IDN Domains that can be typed with the same character set or single character dingbat domains. We do not allow IDN domains that look like an existing domain & may be used for IDN spoofing or IDN domain phishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2006, 02:07 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
£.com €.com Support in IE7?

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...241a6ccd015260

Did they fix this?
Old 15th October 2006, 06:33 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: £.com €.com Support in IE7?

Guess not. I have send emails asking for them to solve this and posted 2 or 4 replies on MSDN ie blog about this. It doesn't makes sense to encode € as "Zyyy" when it's part of all european keyboards.

WHAT MORE CAN WE DO?

Also, I think it's out of their hands. It's an ICANN issue!! We should ask them, not Micro$oft.
Old 16th October 2006, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

This is NOT an ICANN issue. It's a Microsoft issue.

Safari works with £.com no problems.
Old 16th October 2006, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert

Yes, another example of US-centric navel gazing.
Old 16th October 2006, 10:04 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

A lot of things work in Safari with no problems. Like IDNs for the last few years.

Start a big campaign to have them include £ and € in the English language domain definition.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 16th October 2006 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16th October 2006, 06:13 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert

Microsoft is to blame, you're right, but only on a very small part. See who else is to blame: http://www.unicode.org/consortium/memblogo.html

Drewbert, I KNOW what I am talking about. Safari and Opera have no issues becasue they don't care about the language script encoding. € and £ are on the "Zyyy" (Common)... that's were the problem is. http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/Scripts.txt

This was done by Universities on India, Pakistan and EUA. Europe was, as usual on things like this, left behind and thus the problems we're having. Should we contant the European Union?!
Old 16th October 2006, 08:12 PM
Veteran

Jose, I've got a few nice € domains I'd like to see work. If you want to contact anyone, I'd be happy to sign up as well.
Old 16th October 2006, 08:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Jose, I've got a few nice € domains I'd like to see work. If you want to contact anyone, I'd be happy to sign up as well.
Ok. Thanks. Anyone else wants to join us?

In the meanwhile, I'll try to find out who should we address.
Old 17th October 2006, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
Microsoft is to blame, you're right, but only on a very small part. See who else is to blame: http://www.unicode.org/consortium/memblogo.html

Drewbert, I KNOW what I am talking about. Safari and Opera have no issues becasue they don't care about the language script encoding. € and £ are on the "Zyyy" (Common)... that's were the problem is. http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.1.0/ucd/Scripts.txt

This was done by Universities on India, Pakistan and EUA. Europe was, as usual on things like this, left behind and thus the problems we're having. Should we contant the European Union?!
OK. Gotcha, but then this isn't an ICANN issue, it's a UNICODE CONSORTIUM issue.

GOOD LUCK dealing with those guys - pretty sure they're run like the United Nations.

The whole thing is caused by Microsoft blocking multi-script IDN's in an effort to prevent phishing?

Preferably this sort of thing should be done at the registry level, rather than browser level, of course. Which they appears to be doing now, banning new registrations of domains having punctuation and symbols.
Old 17th October 2006, 04:14 AM
Veteran

Who here owns €.com?
Old 17th October 2006, 06:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Who here owns €.com?
The owner asked me 9k one year ago for it.
Old 17th October 2006, 06:54 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The owner asked me 9k one year ago for it.

If microsoft doesn't support it, it's not going to worth even 1k.
Old 18th October 2006, 06:26 PM
Veteran

There's hope, after all. From the ie team:

@Jose: It's possible that certain characters will be permitted to mix in a future release of IE. This depends on a variety of factors, including future standards, the phishing environment, and the user-scenarios that such a change would enable
Old 18th October 2006, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
There's hope, after all. From the ie team:

@Jose: It's possible that certain characters will be permitted to mix in a future release of IE. This depends on a variety of factors, including future standards, the phishing environment, and the user-scenarios that such a change would enable
A pretty lame response. What does € have to do with phishing?
Old 31st October 2006, 01:06 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with 1¢.com, ♀♀.com, and other zyyy domains. No possible phishing risk here, but no way to see it.

However, my ǃ.com, ɛ.com, ɑ.com, and other funky domains show up OK as LATIN. Strange!
Old 31st October 2006, 01:42 AM

Absalon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ok. Thanks. Anyone else wants to join us?

In the meanwhile, I'll try to find out who should we address.
I've got a small stake in this as well so I could also send some emails or eqiuvalent measure that you choose.
Old 31st October 2006, 03:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I have the same problem with 1¢.com, ♀♀.com, and other zyyy domains. No possible phishing risk here, but no way to see it.

However, my ǃ.com, ɛ.com, ɑ.com, and other funky domains show up OK as LATIN. Strange!
¿You sure you have !.com and not ¡.com? I'm pleased to say €1000.com is starting to get traffic.
Old 31st October 2006, 04:15 AM

Yes, xn--ija.com (Unicode 01C3). Latin Letter Retroflex Click. It was one of my sillier registrations in 2005, but it looks exactly like an exclamation point.

Only gets bot traffic, but I have a hard time letting it drop. By the way, China Dior Industrial Co.,Ltd. has the .net but I don't know why.

My symbol domains and pseudo-Latin domains do not seem to be allowed. Not sure why.
Old 31st October 2006, 05:15 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet

1¢.com worked. I bought a symbol a while ago, thk goodness that worked! Phew.
Old 31st October 2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
1¢.com worked. I bought a symbol a while ago, thk goodness that worked! Phew.
You mean you can see it in IE7? Tell me how! It is zyyy and I cannot see any symbol domains like that. Can you see any € domains?