IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2006, 01:07 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DNAME falling out of favor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Is that your personal prognostication?
Yes, and I don't even care about IDN.IDN's development any more, IDN.latin is good enough for me.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 19th October 2006, 01:27 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ditto
Not a big need for the market I'm into. They can get used to jp, cn, com net after each word. It's the variation of English letters in words that's the problem to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Yes, and I don't even care about IDN.IDN's development any more, IDN.latin is good enough for me.
Old 19th October 2006, 01:37 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Ditto, Not a big need for the market I'm into. They can get used to jp, cn, com net after each word. It's the variation of English letters in words that's the problem to remember.
Probably don't even need to say "can get used to" for .com and .net.

The world has been using .com and .net all along...so they are the standard.
Should be a real joy to just adding familiar words (in unicode) in front.
Once they discover this, the experimentation and type ins should be really big, then the search to buy their favorite domain.
BTW- Are there keys to make the .net and .com with a single stroke in Japanese keyboard?

Last edited by bwhhisc; 19th October 2006 at 01:43 AM..
Old 19th October 2006, 02:01 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BTW- Are there keys to make the .net and .com with a single stroke in Japanese keyboard?
There is. Give enough feedback to MSFT to add .com by default by pressing "enter". :-)
Old 19th October 2006, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
There is. Give enough feedback to MSFT to add .com by default by pressing "enter". :-)
Man, that would be heaven.

That's the way it used to be, and still is with Safari
Old 19th October 2006, 03:01 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Man, that would be heaven.

That's the way it used to be, and still is with Safari
I know. Wishful thinking that would make a lot of people instant millionaires.
Old 19th October 2006, 08:57 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Is that your personal prognostication?
So how long have you been one of Bushes personal advisers?
Old 29th March 2007, 10:08 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
I know. Wishful thinking that would make a lot of people instant millionaires.
Keep promoting Opera in Russia, and our dreams will come true.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:09 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
>DNAME falling out of favor?

I don't think so.

This is merely outlining how they will go about processing IDN gTLD's. This is a parallel process with any DNAME work.

No. I disagree.

DNAME is a solution for globalising EXISTING gTLD's.

This policy is about NEW IDN-gTLD's. A completely different kettle of fish.
I thought i would just bump this old post with this comment from Drew back in October.

It certainly seems that the holy grail of having many many new idn aliases in different scripts that all map back to .com was just a pipe dream.

And from all the ICANN discussions the last couple of days, it looks like ICANN has picked up speed with the process of launching new IDN tld's, but there is no talk yet of what to do with existing TLD's... the easiest thing of course would be to do nothing.

There will be no pressure anymore to do anything, since the new igtlds will pacify all those that have been calling for them.

I think IDN.com and IDN.net as we know them today may just stay as-is.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:29 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant

October post, btw.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:31 AM
Semi-retired

yes i saw that. Heroic statement, but i can't believe its true.
Old 29th March 2007, 11:04 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I am totally confused as to how you arrived this conclusion.

I have just listened to Tina's live report.

Basically, just a short series of concatenated UMs! I rather get the impression that most of her prepared statement landed in the trash can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I thought i would just bump this old post with this comment from Drew back in October.

It certainly seems that the holy grail of having many many new idn aliases in different scripts that all map back to .com was just a pipe dream.

And from all the ICANN discussions the last couple of days, it looks like ICANN has picked up speed with the process of launching new IDN tld's, but there is no talk yet of what to do with existing TLD's... the easiest thing of course would be to do nothing.

There will be no pressure anymore to do anything, since the new igtlds will pacify all those that have been calling for them.

I think IDN.com and IDN.net as we know them today may just stay as-is.
Old 29th March 2007, 11:08 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I am totally confused as to how you arrived this conclusion.

I have just listened to Tina's live report.

Basically, just a short series of concatenated UMs! I rather get the impression that most of her prepared statement landed in the trash can!
so RD, are you still standing by your cast-iron conclusion that .com will be mapped to many alisases in different scripts?

that is what you have been saying forever isn't it?

that is what some people here took as sound advice and invested accordingly.
Old 29th March 2007, 11:24 AM
Veteran

Quote:
so RD, are you still standing by your cast-iron conclusion that .com will be mapped to many alisases in different scripts?

that is what you have been saying forever isn't it?

When you see Verisign threatening to sue ICANN over the issue, you may then assume there is a serious problem.

You need to listen and read things in a holoistic sense before jumping to conclusions over the interpretation of individual statement in which the jargon is often confusing.
Old 29th March 2007, 11:55 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
When you see Verisign threatening to sue ICANN over the issue, you may then assume there is a serious problem.

You need to listen and read things in a holoistic sense before jumping to conclusions over the interpretation of individual statement in which the jargon is often confusing.
Actually I take more notice when ICANN threaten to sue VeriSign. It tends to mean more.
Old 29th March 2007, 12:08 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hopefully they weighed advice from (everyone) in the IDN Camp, with the "advice" from the likes of Acro
and the naysayers, then made up their own minds whether to speculate on IDNs. One thing that has
always been certain about IDNs was that nothing was yet set in stone.
Old 29th March 2007, 01:04 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
yes i saw that. Heroic statement, but i can't believe its true.

True? The verdict isn't here yet. This is what Giant believes in. I'm taking the middle line - .com and .idn might co-exist for some languages.

Last edited by touchring; 29th March 2007 at 01:10 PM..
Old 29th March 2007, 01:12 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
True? The verdict isn't here yet. This is what Giant believes in. I'm taking the middle line - .com and .idn might co-exist for some languages.
Ironically, the languages farthest removed from Latin are least affected.

Japanese is willing to accept a .com lable as a cute embelishment.

Russian mixed with lowercase latin tld however, looks too similar to be acceptable.
Old 29th March 2007, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring

Well that only serves to confuse the entire discussion further as everyone else is talking about the Top Level.

The bottom line is people are getting confused because things are being explained in what many see as unfamiliar jargon.

There will be dot com equivalents of IDN within the next 12 months. What has been said makes it certain that it has now actually been moved forward rather than back in my view, because there is no longer any logical reason for iccTLD to take precedence over igTLD.

What is clear is that no alternative IDN equivalents of dot com can be launched as registries in the time frames we are talking about. Dot XXX was first muted 5 years ago, dot EU took a similar amount of time. Dot Asia has taken much less probably only about 3 years. 2 years for introduction from first proposals is logistical lower limit. The whole concept that overnight there are going to be a 100 look alike dot Com registered is absurd.
Old 29th March 2007, 01:19 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
..There will be dot com equivalents of IDN within the next 12 months. .
RD, you might be getting the feeling i'm your personal troll at the moment :p

but that is not the case. I object to statements like this. Why? because you are very influential - and you do not and cannot know that for sure.

just because it's what you and I and everyone else wants to happen, doesn't make it happen.

I'll stop trolling, if you stop making absurd statements that are masquerading to be given solid facts.