IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2006, 09:52 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
IE 7 alerts only IDNs in certain languages and not others

Hi there.

I tried typing Thai IDNs (e.g. http://www.สินเชื่อ.com) into the browser with IE7, it didn't prompt me to add Thai language. Neither did it prompt me for Chinese (eg. http://www.上海酒店.com) However, it did prompt me when I tried browsing an Arabic domain name so the domain displayed in Unicode and not punycode (eg.http://www.طبيبي.com). Is this a bug that entering domain names in certain language such as Arbic prompts you to add the language but not Thai or Chinese? If this is a bug anyone knows where is the best place to report for MS to take a quick action on this?

Thanks,

TD

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 19th October 2006 at 10:55 PM..
Old 19th October 2006, 09:54 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: IE 7 alerts only IDNs in certain languages and not others

This was a feature added at the last minute as part of the Homeland Security IDN profiling program.
Old 19th October 2006, 10:03 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
This was a feature added at the last minute as part of the Homeland Security IDN profiling program.

ROTFLMAO

Tom Ridge is a family friend might have to ring him and see if this is true
Old 19th October 2006, 10:08 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

You have a good sense of humour. But seriously, is this a bug that MS should be aware of so that can fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Old 19th October 2006, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Might be for right-to-left languages?
Old 19th October 2006, 10:24 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer
Hi there.

I tried typing Thai IDNs (e.g. http://www.สินเชื่อ.com) into the browser with IE7, it didn't prompt me to add Thai language. Neither did it prompt me for Chinese (eg. http://www.上海酒店.com) However, it did prompt me when I tried browsing an Arabic domain name so the domain will be displayed in Unicode and not punycode (eg.http://www.طبيبي.com). Is this a bug that entering domain names in certain language such as Arbic prompts you to add the language but not Thai or Chinese? If this is a bug anyone knows where is the best place to report for MS to take a quick action on this?

Thanks,

TD
It's probably because you previously added Thai and Chinese to the "accepted list"? Did you install a beta previously?
Old 19th October 2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
It's probably because you previously added Thai and Chinese to the "accepted list"? Did you install a beta previously?
That's what I was thinking.

Did the domains display correctly in unicode?
Old 19th October 2006, 10:40 PM

I did install IE7 Beta previously. However, I was never prompted to add Thai when I entered Thai domains into the browser nor did it prompt me to add Thai with the final IE 7 version launched yesterday. So both Thai and Chinese did display as punycodes for me with IE7 initially. However, as I tried copying and pasting in Arabic, it alerted me to add the language, I then added Thai and Chinese as well when given the alert after typing arabic and both the languages then displayed correctly in unicodes. However, just curious why Thai and Chinese and I assume a few other languages would not get alerts so users can add these languages whereas Arabic doesn't seem to have a problem. I feel this type of alert will help internet users such as Thais type in Thai without getting concerned as unicode will be displayed instead. Did you get an alert when you tried typing Thai using IE7? I think it would even be better if IE 7 shows unicode instread of punycode by default without any alert. I assume there might be some security issue for them not to do this?

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 19th October 2006 at 10:53 PM..