IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2006, 07:31 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
GotIDN is closing its doors in 24 hours

Thanks for all the information and resources that were available there during its run. Genius
Old 20th October 2006, 07:48 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough
Re: GotIDN is closing its doors in 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Thanks for all the information and resources that were available there during its run. Genius
It is a terrible shame that it has come to this. GotIDN was the best chance any of us had of establishing IDN in a wider market in the shortest possible time frame.

It was, however, hampered from the start by the Selfishness of some individuals, which constrasted sharply with the unselfish unstinting efforts of a few.

Generally, this ambitious effort was put to the sword by the selfish indifferent attitudes of many of the general membership. It was just somewhere to post sales threads to many.

It maybe that many of you just migrate back here, but this forum in its current formate will not deliver on the promise that GotIDN had to offer. It was not the vision that was lacking but the general support of that vision. I would like to thank Alpha and Gamma for all the hard work that they put in to demonstrate what might have been possible. I would also like to thank Michael and Jose in particular and the rest of Moderators for some serious contributions. As for the rest, well the majority should just be holding their heads in shame.

I pulled the pin for two reason. One was a vain hope that it might make people see sense and turn the job around, and the second was to avoid seeing large numbers of domains disappear for peanuts in addition to the very valuable domains that I had already released in promotions to absolutely no good purpose.

It would seem that more you give in life the more others just expect to take. Well for myself, I intend to take a lower profile in the near future. Let the harbingers of doom take over and talk as much crap as they feel appropriate. Why should I care. It is not really my problem after all.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 20th October 2006 at 08:01 PM..
Old 20th October 2006, 08:01 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck

I pulled the pin for two reason. One was a vain hope that it might make people see sense and turn the job around, and the second was to avoid seeing large numbers of domains disappear for peanuts in addition to the very valuable domains that I had already released in promotions to absolutely no good purpose.
I really do not understand the logic behind either reason, or think they are justifiable, especially the second reason since it is very controllable. The membership was quite large after only six weeks- miracles do not occur overnight!
Old 20th October 2006, 08:06 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
I really do not understand the logic behind either reason, or think they are justifiable, especially the second reason since it is very controllable. The membership was quite large after only six weeks- miracles do not occur overnight!
idn: it's about the pace. We knew exactly what needed doing and we had deadlines to do them by. Simple stuff really.

but theres only so much a couple of people can do. It was built on 5, not 3 or 2.

We did not set out to do a half job. It's a full job or no job.
Old 20th October 2006, 08:17 PM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
idn: it's about the pace. We knew exactly what needed doing and we had deadlines to do them by. Simple stuff really.

but theres only so much a couple of people can do. It was built on 5, not 3 or 2.

We did not set out to do a half job. It's a full job or no job.

Understandable, but I think we sometimes overestimate the general awareness of idns, especially in non-English markets. As this awareness increases the need for a multilingual forum will become even more apparent. Your efforts were great and I am not criticizing them, but the plug might have been pulled too early. Rome was not built in a day. You cannot expect flocks of "foreigners" to be aware of the forum in a month and a half. The need for such a forum will continue to be present...
Old 20th October 2006, 08:24 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
Understandable, but I think we sometimes overestimate the general awareness of idns, especially in non-English markets. As this awareness increases the need for a multilingual forum will become even more apparent. Your efforts were great and I am not criticizing them, but the plug might have been pulled too early. Rome was not built in a day. You cannot expect flocks of "foreigners" to be aware of the forum in a month and a half. The need for such a forum will continue to be present...
i can assure you that it had nothing to do with the lack of natives. We hadn't launched the native advertising, so we wern't expecting any.

Personally I am a little punch drunk. I can't believe I've thown the towel in twice in as many months.

The other half of us is on the verge of burning out.

none of this is good, and quite honestly not worth it IMO.

but we were on the verge of grinding to a halt, and as I said that is not ideal either.

This forum here is well established and draws a crowd. If the only audience GI attracts is the same audience as IDNF, then it's a waste of time.

To attract a native audience you need to work at it, and realise a whole bunch of initiatives - it's these initiaitives that we were left with neither the resolve or the man power to carry out.
Old 20th October 2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
This forum here is well established and draws a crowd. If the only audience GI attracts is the same audience as IDNF, then it's a waste of time.
You are right, same audience is a waste of time. This is why I mentioned waiting for the foreigners. In my mind you were preparing for their inevitable arrival.

There had to be a way to get assistance with the workload rather than throwing in the towel. Just my two (four) c(p)en(ce)ts.
Old 20th October 2006, 08:39 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
You are right, same audience is a waste of time. This is why I mentioned waiting for the foreigners. In my mind you were preparing for their inevitable arrival.

There had to be a way to get assistance with the workload rather than throwing in the towel. Just my two c(p)en(ce)ts.
idn: you talk a lot of sense. and yes you're probably right.

but it's no easy task to get people to contribute for nothing. RD has voiced many times the lack of contribution.

It's a sad fact, but not everyone thinks like this. Some are just out for themselves, and running a forum isn't going to make you wealthy if that's your sole goal.

We may sound bitter, but its the reality - we knocked on a few doors, and most the time got a null response.

but putting this into perspective, the "natives" will become educated one way or another eventually - we were just trying to set a honey trap and excellerate the process. thats all.
Old 20th October 2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:

but it's no easy task to get people to contribute for nothing. RD has voiced many times the lack of contribution.
So true. Many people want some sort of stake to be active unless they see value of the forum as a whole. Most users probably could not differentiate between GotIdn and this forum(at this time). Value would have be shown once the natives (much better word) arrived, but to prepare for their arrival many contributions needed to be made. These two factors do not work well running concurrently. Truth is, it is one hell of a project!!!
Old 20th October 2006, 09:09 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

I'd also like to thank the contributions of esteemed members, contributing mods and admin.

The vision was great -- you should see some of the plans

But as RD and AM articulated above, there was no way that a depleted team would be able to carry the vision out without maintaining an unsustainable pace.

It's regretable that we came to this decision, but it was better to pull the plug sooner rather than later.
Old 20th October 2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
It's regretable that we came to this decision, but it was better to pull the plug sooner rather than later.
You guys may have "pulled the plug", but in this day and age there must be a way to get the damn thing up and running again. Solar power?
Old 20th October 2006, 09:18 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
You guys may have "pulled the plug", but in this day and age there must be a way to get the damn thing up and running again. Solar power?
IDN Posts 5

Probably take a bit more than that!
Old 20th October 2006, 10:11 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I was initially part of the gi, but decided against it for certain differences of opinion on how people would get along in the management of it.

Turns out, that is exactly the way it went.

In any case, I'm still rolling (since August) with my own project, initially set up as a small private forum, but now expanded, at idnin.com everyone is welcome to join.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
I was initially part of the gi, but decided against it for certain differences of opinion on how people would get along in the management of it.

In any case, I'm still rolling (since August) with my own project, initially set up as a small private forum, but now expanded, at idnin.com everyone is welcome to join.
Blast you have excellent skills that would have made you an ideal member of any team. Unfortunately, the scenario proved that you were not willing to function as a team member, and you have just demonstrated the limitations of your vision in post above. I don't want to start a row but comparisons between what GotIDN set out to offer and what you are now promoting are frankly not merited.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:22 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:

really?

i seem to remember you being unanimously "uninvited" to join.

difference in opinion on how people would get along?

if you mean difference in opinion as to the effort required, then yes. Getting along? don't know what you mean.

I'm not going to get into a mud slinging contest with you Dan. But don't talk bollocks and try and plug your lame-arse forum on the back of a thread on another forum.

sad. sad and pathetic.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:25 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Thanks for your kinds words Dave.

I must admit that, on the beginning, I was very sceptical on the way the GotIND project was being assembled. Lately, however, I began to believe on it and was really enthusiastic about it. So, it’s very sad to see it falls apart.

At least I was right about my prediction; as I was about ie7 deception.
I have site called ZapFuture. It’s about the future and predictions. I like to make predictions. Friends say I am pretty accurate most of the times.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:43 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Hey Alpha,

You couldn't get me to work with you, because of your rude character, and it turns out you couldn't get a few other guys to get along with you in your own sandbox.

Pretty funny actually.

Let me remind you of this thread, just a few weeks old: http://idninvestment.com/idn/viewtopic.php?id=24

Dan
Old 20th October 2006, 10:46 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Hey Alpha,

You couldn't get me to work with you, because of your rude character, and it turns out you couldn't get a few other guys to get along with you in your own sandbox.

Pretty funny actually.

Let me remind you of this thread, just a few weeks old: http://idninvestment.com/idn/viewtopic.php?id=24

Dan
Dan,

it's not my style to go dragging up crap.

so do you really want to get into that?

the reason why you were cast out from the GI team, do you? in public? hey if you want to dance to this tune - go right ahead - but you are going to look pretty damn ugly after, and like i said - it's not my style to shoot first.

but if you really want to do this... just go for it.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Hey Alpha,

Pretty funny actually.

Dan
Giant recognised how important your skills would have been to the team. He made overtures to me as well. That doesn't mean that he took sides.
Old 20th October 2006, 10:55 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I wanted to leave this topic up to Alph, RD & team
But I suggest that we try to leave this thread for relevant about their closing.
Discuss what you feel is relavant but please it's not necessary to start a heated battle with each other.
I for one don't want to know the dirt & hope other members comment to show they either want to say thank you for your efforts, or ask questions.
& I'm not taking anyone's side on any issue.