View Single Post
Old 6th June 2007, 08:08 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: IDN available for .cn, .tw, .biz etc. BUT reserved in .com & .net - any ideas why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
Hi All,

Just came across something seems a little strange... wondering if anyone has had the same and knows why this happened?

I wanted to register 情趣XX.com (XX is two additional characters - which are non-sexual & product based, which I choose not to show here... as I think they do not effect this discussion).

Most IDN registers showed the Chinese IDN I wanted as "taken" - I could find the whois for the .biz & .cn versions which were "taken".
However for .com & .net the whois information turned up no results (even said was able to be registered), so I checked around... doing this I found 3 IDN registration website that would let me register the IDN I wanted.

I went with one of them to see why they would let me register... and after processing this is what I got back...

We sorry to inform you that domain 情趣XX.com is reserved from registration,
Therefore the application have been declined ,
please select other domain name.
The payment transactions will be cancelled.

Ok - this in itself is clear - it is a reserved IDN - but why?.

My question therefore is, why is this reserved when it can be & is already registered as a .cn & .biz Chinese IDN?

Any ideas why different rules on what is reserved (and .com & .net being more restrictive than .cn & .biz)?
Lastly... I have been wondering if this domain is really reserved... or if it is a backorder in process (any thoughts on this)?

Thanks for your replies and apologies if this is an ignorant question - just seems strange to me that it is reserved in two gTLD and not in another gTLD or the ccTLDs).

Cheers, Asiaplay
Sometimes there are more than one variant. I remember .HK providing up to 3-4 variants with your idn registration......