IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Am I missing something?

It would seem to me that some of the Chinese Flippers are getting a bit more ambitious with their pricing structure lately. Perhaps they are bringing very high calibre names, or perhaps there is a growing assertiveness in China?
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:28 PM

lyndonmaxewell is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Am I missing something?

Perharps they are talking in 'Yuan'? Seriously, the names themselves with corresponding prices are unrealistic. Newbies to the market? perharps.
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:44 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndonmaxewell
Perharps they are talking in 'Yuan'? Seriously, the names themselves with corresponding prices are unrealistic. Newbies to the market? perharps.
Yes, I guessed as much, but the fact there are new players entering is an indication that there is a growing awareness.
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:47 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I think everytime there's a record buy on snapname, like that gongsi, the news gets around idnclub, and everyone thinks he owns a gongsi!

Me too is a very significant part of Chinese culture, everyone wants the same thing, whether price money (from the domain sale) or a piece of candy. Even the fake milk thing, if it's white in color, it definitely got to be milk? Talc?
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I think everytime there's a record buy on snapname, like that gongsi, the news gets around, and everyone thinks he owns a gongsi!

Me too is a very significant part of Chinese culture, everyone wants the same thing, whether price money (from the domain sale) or a piece of candy.
Well that is good, because it would seem they are starting to me too IDN. CNNIC is definitely starting to stack up the registrations and they are charging $20 per IDN registration as opposed to only $3 for ASCII. A bit bizarre really because you think they would charge a premium for those exotic foriegn characters, but then if nobody wants the things you just cannot charge full price.
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I think everytime there's a record buy on snapname, like that gongsi, the news gets around idnclub, and everyone thinks he owns a gongsi!
In fact, every new person that posts still think his name is another gongsi! I thought that they shd realise better than this that usually most Chinese words more than 2 characters are hardly ever names that are worth a premium price.

Well, most of the time that is.
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:57 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

From a sellers point of view high prices are good but not necessarily correct they can of course be reduced! Pricing to low to sell leaves little room for manoeuvre.

From a buyers point of view high prices are not good as the bargains are rapidly disappearing.

Perhaps some people think these idn domain names have a future
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:04 AM
Veteran

There are two essential ingredients. Knowledge and belief.

Once IE7 is widely distributed, the first will be rapidly disseminated from user to user. The belief will only come with the traffic, but once people to start to believe registrations will snowball and content will switch URLs very rapidly. Of course that will just generate more traffic, which will be reinforced by more content.

ASCII is going to be so 2005!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
From a sellers point of view high prices are good but not necessarily correct they can of course be reduced! Pricing to low to sell leaves little room for manoeuvre.

From a buyers point of view high prices are not good as the bargains are rapidly disappearing.

Perhaps some people think these idn domain names have a future
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:09 AM

I agree what you said Wot, but i thought that the natives themselves would know their generic terms well or phrases as opposed to the price level?

Just curious. How come I do not see such ridiculous pricing structure over in idnclub for instance? perharps the native speakers over there can see at once that these names are hardly even worth the reg fee, and would bash their thread. Or that these folks are trying to take advantage of the language barrier and test the international market?
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:14 AM
Veteran

I think that you also need to understand that IDNclub is essentially based in Taiwan, and the real action will eventually come from PRC. Although they are all Chinese, they do not necessarily have the same mindset, or even have a good mutual comprehension of all the terms.

Quote:
I agree what you said Wot, but i thought that the natives themselves would know their generic terms well or phrases as opposed to the price level?

Just curious. How come I do not see such ridiculous pricing structure over in idnclub for instance? perharps the native speakers over there can see at once that these names are hardly even worth the reg fee, and would bash their thread. Or that these folks are trying to take advantage of the language barrier and test the international market?
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I think that you also need to understand that IDNclub is essentially based in Taiwan, and the real action will eventually come from PRC. Although they are all Chinese, they do not necessarily have the same mindset, or even have a good mutual comprehension of all the terms.
Hrmm i guess so. Talking about different mindset, or on different wavelengths.. Imagine if what we think are their so-called rubbish names turned out to be actually 'premium' on their end, I'll seriously feel funny. Anyway, their increased interest in IDNs are highly appreciated by me, and of course, the rest.
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Hrmm i guess so. Talking about different mindset, or on different wavelengths.. Imagine if what we think are their so-called rubbish names turned out to be actually 'premium' on their end, I'll seriously feel funny. Anyway, their increased interest in IDNs are highly appreciated by me, and of course, the rest.
If you put put the term into Google.cn between quotation marks and you get millions of results and some Adwords, chances are they know what they are doing. If you get a few thousand results and no Adwords, then they are almost certainly rubbish. You don't need to be Chinese or even know what the terms mean to sift the gold and sling the mud.
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:43 AM

Yea, i comprehend that point now, thanks.