IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2006, 08:04 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Lightbulb Development vs Parking - Pros & Cons

Lets lay it all out there !

Inspired by the comments below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Parking, we are talking zero investment.

Development is time and investment. Efforts to date have not performed as well as parking and I have bought in good development.

There is no commercial rational at the moment for developing from where I stand.
If significant revenues parking revenues materialise, I will look at it again.

Development should be about producing sites that deliver real services not just another way of Spamming the Internet. If we can see that it will pay then we will do something serious. $10 a month hardly covers yours standing overheads.
Old 28th October 2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: Development vs Parking - Pros & Cons

Parking
pros
- place and forget, requires no effort besides the initial optimizing of terms
- a uniform method, which makes comparison easy
- easily upscalable
- reasonably steady revenue

cons
- no long term SE-placement and certainly not a high SE-ranking for the long term
- no commission plans (till thus far)
- next to no recurrence of visitors, no long term relationship

Development
pros
- high SE-placement is much more likely, SE-placement is most likely constant
- a wide variety of exploitation options
- there will be visitor recurrence so there will be a larger amount of natural traffic
- promotion of the name is now possible --> traffic buildup
(- in case of IDN's, the promotion of developed IDN-sites is the best way to promote IDN-usage)

cons
- decent development requires effort, capital and time
- financial risk is much larger,income is less certain

Obviously the larger portfolio holders are not focusing on development simply because it requires too much effort, however it would suffice if decent development took place for some of their names (say 1-10). I hope that the larger players will structurally reserve money for the development of names as it is (in my view) the best way to promote general IDN-awareness and usage.

Last edited by bramiozo; 28th October 2006 at 08:36 PM..
Old 28th October 2006, 08:33 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

From my point of view it goes like this

Parking
Pros
1. Easy to do
2. Will make some money after locals start exploring IDNs
3. Even without customizing you may get some traffic.
4. Leaves time if you are currently still buying or selling.

Development
Pros
1. You can add backlinks like crazy
2. You can promote your domain
3. CTR is higher (should be)
4. Static content that is on topic assures future owner that the domain isn't starting from scratch in SERPS
5. We don't know how much of the cut Parking services are getting.
6. Content will be the same no matter the location so Spiders will always crawl relevant content.
7. More versatile in what you can do with the domain.

I hope that some will realize my $10 example is stating a truly reachable minimum.
Development isn't for everyone.

The cons of parking is what many know will happen.
The older the domain the more likely it will get kicked from the search engine results.
Many ASCII domain owners know this too.
The parking services will try to accommodate for what is happening but IDNs might still be second fiddle to ASCII domains.

This all about exploring options. If you feel you can, test the waters.. Look at your results.

If it's a matter of quality the new pages from iREIT I saw a few months ago was nothing but articles wrapped around Adsense.
Old 28th October 2006, 08:36 PM
A.W.O.L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Obviously the larger portfolio holders are not focusing on development simply because it requires too much effort, however it would suffice if decent development took place for some of their names (say 1-10). I hope that the larger players will structurally reserve money for development and

I share this thought. If you are making revenue already develop a few, that's all.
Old 28th October 2006, 08:40 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

..and it doesn't even require the holders to get on their feet, just make the right plans and hire the right people .
Old 28th October 2006, 09:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
..and it doesn't even require the holders to get on their feet, just make the right plans and hire the right people .
Done this, worn the tee-shirt. Payback so far zilch.

I have also sold off names to give others a chance of developing some decent feed stock.

Will continue to monitor parking and developed pages. If either picks up substantially will considering doing more. Will also monitor forums for news of successful strategies. Won't increase capital outlay until we see evidence of progress.

If you want us to joint this crusade, we will want to see some screen shots of Revenue Data!
Old 28th October 2006, 09:41 PM
A.W.O.L

Since developed domains can be easily copied
I really think that there are those that will suggest things
but not exactly give full details.
It's the nature of the business.
Development comes in all different forms.
Old 28th October 2006, 09:54 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Since developed domains can be easily copied
I really think that there are those that will suggest things
but not exactly give full details.
It's the nature of the business.
Development comes in all different forms.
Fine go and hide you nuts. Bottom line is we work on hard facts.

Beside tracking down your sites and copying your sites would not be such a big deal, but I thought all this development was supposed to be somehow related to the name in question. Would it not be better from an SEO point of view to actually get something original that is related to our domains. Not only that, if we were actually going to copy something, I think we would go after some native generated content. Lets face it is not going to be too difficult trying to track down content from Google from ASCII sites. That would be far more relevant than some unrelated IDN of yours.

I much admit I get bored with all the whisper and inuendo in this regard. Basically if you got something to put up, great. If not, well do expect as to hang around in anxious anticipation.
Old 28th October 2006, 09:56 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

For those with good names in extensions other than .com, development is a nice way to get income.

My Japanese .tv names have more than made up reg fee. Something I would have never expected from parking. It may take a while, but definitely seems worth it
Old 28th October 2006, 09:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
For those with good names in extensions other than .com, development is a nice way to get income.

My Japanese .tv names have more than made up reg fee. Something I would have never expected from parking. It may take a while, but definitely seems worth it
I can understand that developing top keywords in dot TV would be worth the effort, if the keywords are really excellent.
Old 28th October 2006, 10:19 PM
A.W.O.L

I wasn't talking about myself. I think that I've publicly made much of what I own easy to find.
There are plenty of members here, who I believe have developed some domains already or are working on it. It takes time. Not everyone is going to openly share their progress. This is what I was referring to.

But what's the downside of discussing development?
Some will hire content writers, some will hire designers. Some will invest in PHP scripts, some will make sites using RSS. It's not a matter of who's right or wrong, it's just discussing options.

I've always mentioned having relevant content for domains. I wouldn't do it any other way personally. Even with domain parking I always suggest optimizing with relevant keywords to produce better conversions.

If it's not for you RD, then so be it. You have 4,000 domains, most of us have less & will not actively sell a domain each month. It's just a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Fine go and hide you nuts. Bottom line is we work on hard facts.

Beside tracking down your sites and copying your sites would not be such a big deal, but I thought all this development was supposed to be somehow related to the name in question. Would it not be better from an SEO point of view to actually get something original that is related to our domains. Not only that, if we were actually going to copy something, I think we would go after some native generated content. Lets face it is not going to be too difficult trying to track down content from Google from ASCII sites. That would be far more relevant than some unrelated IDN of yours.

I much admit I get bored with all the whisper and inuendo in this regard. Basically if you got something to put up, great. If not, well do expect as to hang around in anxious anticipation.
Old 28th October 2006, 11:49 PM
Veteran

Ok, point taken, but those that are heralding this as the way forward expecting big budget expenditure should consider showing some revenue screen shots to the rest of us, who are pretty non-commital at the moment.

Yes, you are correct part of the plan was to sell domains, but as nobody is buying at the moment, that plan is not particularly sound at the moment.

We will be using our finite resources to renew domains until such time as there is evidence that investment in development is going to yield rewards. To date we have put a lot of time and effort into researching this and researching that. When I asked a simple question about trying to transfer domains into China to explore the traffic scenario, there I did not get either as much as a URL or an impossible to do response.

Developing may be the way forward, but those doing the development will have to demonstrate its worth before I will be spending any more money on it.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about myself. I think that I've publicly made much of what I own easy to find.
There are plenty of members here, who I believe have developed some domains already or are working on it. It takes time. Not everyone is going to openly share their progress. This is what I was referring to.

Some will hire content writers, some will hire designers. Some will invest in PHP scripts, some will make sites using RSS. It's not a matter of who's right or wrong, it's just discussing options.

I've always mentioned having relevant content for domains. I wouldn't do it any other way personally. Even with domain parking I always suggest optimizing with relevant keywords to produce better conversions.

If it's not for you RD, then so be it. You have 4,000 domains, most of us have less & will not actively sell a domain each month. It's just a reality.
Old 29th October 2006, 12:25 AM
A.W.O.L

I don't think any of us are trying to make promises, or trying to convince members to spend much on it (time or money). As I have always said to buy within your budget I would suggest people to develop (a few at least) if they feel they can.

Many investors won't develop at all but even your own custom PPC solution is development.
Old 29th October 2006, 01:01 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Good question something i think we should elaborate on , what are the Pros & Cons of not sharing info ? Lets lay it out
Old 29th October 2006, 01:04 AM
A.W.O.L

You raise good questions but don't you care to join in the actual conversation?
Old 29th October 2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
You raise good questions but don't you care to join in the actual conversation?

I wasnt directing that to you , i was just asking the question to anyone that cared to chime in , I give my 2 cents when i see fit. You guys summed up the pros & cons of development vs parking very well , i could really only respond by saying Ditto. And actaully after reading all the post sometimes it boils down to a individuals computer skills. If you have to pay somebody to always do the work for you, you will have a different outlook then somebody that can put them up themseleves ect. As far as my last post i dont know the all the pros and cons thats why i pose the question.

The obvious Pros would be Helping to further the Market

But im interested in the cons aswell

Last edited by thegenius1; 29th October 2006 at 01:20 AM..
Old 29th October 2006, 01:44 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Why other than .com if I may ask? Wouldn't it even be better to develop a nice keyword with .com extension as it reinforces future revisits given that .com is more ingrained in the physche of most than many other extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive

Old 29th October 2006, 01:55 AM
A.W.O.L

I was just thinking that you probably have a different outlook since you may have some sites with affiliate ads etc. This is something I haven't done too much.
I have one domain that I completely forgot about that the affiliate program on it sent me a check for $150..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
I wasnt directing that to you , i was just asking the question to anyone that cared to chime in , I give my 2 cents when i see fit. You guys summed up the pros & cons of development vs parking very well , i could really only respond by saying Ditto. And actaully after reading all the post sometimes it boils down to a individuals computer skills. If you have to pay somebody to always do the work for you, you will have a different outlook then somebody that can put them up themseleves ect. As far as my last post i dont know the all the pros and cons thats why i pose the question.

The obvious Pros would be Helping to further the Market

But im interested in the cons aswell
Old 29th October 2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I was just thinking that you probably have a different outlook since you may have some sites with affiliate ads etc. This is something I haven't done too much.
I have one domain that I completely forgot about that the affiliate program on it sent me a check for $150..

LMAO that is crazy , i recieved a check for approx. 150 this week from a affiliate site that i completly forgot about. But to be honest have been to bizzy to track down what site or affilaite it came from. Well only because i have forgot my login info for that program.
Old 29th October 2006, 01:56 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
what are the Pros & Cons of not sharing info ? Lets lay it out