IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st October 2006, 04:51 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
.mobi

I'm bewilded about this .mobi thing, it was like the days when they launched WAP back then in 2000. People are chasing air basically. If i'm those holding a few generic .mobi, i'll cash out while the iron is hot.

How the hell type-in works for mobile phones? How do you "type" using a phone? Not to talk about how many people actually attempt to try to use internet on a mobile phone.
Old 31st October 2006, 05:12 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: .mobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I'm bewilded about this .mobi thing, it was like the days when they launched WAP back then in 2000. People are chasing air basically. If i'm those holding a few generic .mobi, i'll cash out while the iron is hot.

How the hell type-in works for mobile phones? How do you "type" using a phone? Not to talk about how many people actually attempt to try to use internet on a mobile phone.
a LOT of people I know, including myself, use internet on their cell phones. Blackberrys here are a must for some people...
Old 31st October 2006, 05:20 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just trying to figure out why we need another extention for mobile phones. Can't amazon.com figure out if a visitor is accessing the site via a mobile phone and auto-redirect it to wap.amazon.com or something?
Old 31st October 2006, 05:23 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
I am just trying to figure out why we need another extention for mobile phones. Can't amazon.com figure out if a visitor is accessing the site via a mobile phone and auto-redirect it to wap.amazon.com or something?
Yes, they can. Aside from that, many small portable devices (like cell phones and pdas that .mobi is meant for) have settings that can justify regular sites to fit the screen layout.
Old 31st October 2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
How do you "type" using a phone?
Ask those millions of kids who can "text" faster than we can "type".
Old 31st October 2006, 05:32 PM

ScottFish is an unknown quantity at this point

I have my treo and type super fast~
I even check idnforums and digitalpoint from my phone.

... Its cake!
Old 31st October 2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
Yes, they can. Aside from that, many small portable devices (like cell phones and pdas that .mobi is meant for) have settings that can justify regular sites to fit the screen layout.
So, why would a big company go out and spend 100K on a .mobi + who knows how much on marketing? :-)
Old 31st October 2006, 05:41 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish
I have my treo and type super fast~
I even check idnforums and digitalpoint from my phone.

... Its cake!

Do Japanese & Chinese ect. Characters show on the treo , im thinking about getting one ?
Old 31st October 2006, 05:58 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, why would a big company go out and spend 100K on a .mobi + who knows how much on marketing? :-)
That's a great question! One possible answer that RD put forth is that, depending on the industry, $100K really isn't that much to secure the domain you need...

My question is, who is buying these? Is it the big companies?
Old 31st October 2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
That's a great question! One possible answer that RD put forth is that, depending on the industry, $100K really isn't that much to secure the domain you need...

My question is, who is buying these? Is it the big companies?
The question I ask myself is - for me personally, do I think .mobi is a better opportunity that IDNs at the moment, since I can't chase two things at once. And the answer is "no".
Old 31st October 2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The question I ask myself is - for me personally, do I think .mobi is a better opportunity that IDNs at the moment, since I can't chase two things at once. And the answer is "no".
I agree completely. .mobi is, in my opinion, far more speculative than IDNs. I am just amazed how the .mobi craze spread like wildfire, while IDNs were snubbed by many "mainstream" domainers.

The other amazing phenomena to me is that people are spending money on domains like shd.mobi and swl.mobi...

I think it is because the info I read most about .mobi's comes from DNF and NP, both very American forums (maybe "Western" is a better term?). I think the shunning of IDNs comes from a very Americentric view of the world, both in general and in domaining.

Are .mobi's mostly an American craze at this point?
Old 31st October 2006, 06:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I agree completely. .mobi is, in my opinion, far more speculative than IDNs. I am just amazed how the .mobi craze spread like wildfire, while IDNs were snubbed by many "mainstream" domainers.

The other amazing phenomena to me is that people are spending money on domains like shd.mobi and swl.mobi...

I think it is because the info I read most about .mobi's comes from DNF and NP, both very American forums (maybe "Western" is a better term?). I think the shunning of IDNs comes from a very Americentric view of the world, both in general and in domaining.

Are .mobi's mostly an American craze at this point?

No, i think it has nothing to do with Americentric. People like new stuff, idn is old, the kick isn't there any more.

Remember Java? When it was new, ppl were excited over it, now, less interesting.
Old 31st October 2006, 06:48 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
No, i think it has nothing to do with Americentric. People like new stuff, idn is old, the kick isn't there any more.

Remember Java? When it was new, ppl were excited over it, now, less interesting.

IDN is old news to people whom knew about it or understood it , There are many that have this Americentric view of the World , and refuse to open there eyes.

Last edited by thegenius1; 31st October 2006 at 09:28 PM..
Old 31st October 2006, 11:24 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Hey great extension, I bought a dozen at $20 each , turned half of them for an average of $60 each in two weeks.

Nice quick huge profit, when the other half dozen are gone I will forget about it- really ugly extension. JMO
Old 1st November 2006, 01:07 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Hey great extension, I bought a dozen at $20 each , turned half of them for an average of $60 each in two weeks.

Nice quick huge profit, when the other half dozen are gone I will forget about it- really ugly extension. JMO
wow, $240 in profit. Call your accountant
Old 1st November 2006, 01:19 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
wow, $240 in profit. Call your accountant
12 @ $20 = $240

Six sold at $60 = $360

6 names remaining yet to sell.

I make that a current profit of $120 - 200% in two weeks with assets remaining.

Hope your accountants math is better than yours and knows what profit means.
Old 1st November 2006, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
12 @ $20 = $240

Six sold at $60 = $360

6 names remaining yet to sell.

I make that a current profit of $120 - 200% in two weeks with assets remaining.

Hope your accountants math is better than yours and knows what profit means.
Profit of $120 only if you value the time it took you to acquire and sell those names at $0.

Factor that in, and recalculate.

I won't even take a shit for anyone for $120.
Old 1st November 2006, 03:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Profit of $120 only if you value the time it took you to acquire and sell those names at $0.

$120 means nothing in the West, but in China it's 960 Yuan. You can hire a home nanny for your babies for a month. In Vietnam, you can hire for 2 months.

anyway, in today's market, able to sell is itself is a feat!

Last edited by touchring; 1st November 2006 at 03:19 AM..
Old 1st November 2006, 07:34 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
People like new stuff, idn is old, the kick isn't there any more..
Touchring, Did you change your mind about IDNs? or it is the technique IDNs suck, dont register...because they are all mine!

I agree Touchring on your thinking, some guys here look down on small offers to sell domains, but for for many chinese to sell on $200 is like for some guys to sell on $2000. Even 3 sales of $200 and thats more or less their salaries without working. Obviously such thinking of register today to sell tomorrow wont take them anywhere, but okay i guess for them to keep going without much work.
Old 1st November 2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert

Some of you guys here really make me laugh so full of yourselves and holier than thou attitudes.

I was simply pointing out that I was able to make a quick turn on what I consider to be domain names with an extension that in my opinion sucks.

My time is my own btw, retired early to while away my time playing around with - whatever I fancy.

I have 500 IDN's - none sold as yet , obviously not as good as yours because I am probably not as smart as you , certainly with faeces valued in excess of $120 a pop, I just can't compete.

I live in Thailand, average daily wage for the workers on the estate where I live is $4 - put that in perspective to your comments.