IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2006, 06:34 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Will these new extensions make the market Better?

You know what guys.
I'm glad to see that people took advantage of getting the next extensions.
With so many of us going into grabbing everything in all languages truthfully I started to worry are we leaving little for natives.
I wouldn't have expected them to start releasing new Extensions you can register IDNs in so soon.
Now instead of just trying to get something that makes sense more there's more of a chance to get a real quality IDN in more languages in new extensions.

I personally think the Spanish market should be hot.

Do you guys think this was a really good bonus at the time IE7 is coming out?
Old 1st November 2006, 06:40 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21
Re: Will these new extensions make the market Better?

I think so but .biz i will never touch one, but other than that new ext equal new oppurtunities should work out for the best
Old 1st November 2006, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I think the "natives" have scooped up some pretty good stuff in their respective ccTLD's, often because at the time the ccTLD's had restrictions on who could register.

Although I gather the Koreans get particularly upset when foreigners register Korean stuff in com.
Old 1st November 2006, 06:54 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
I think the "natives" have scooped up some pretty good stuff in their respective ccTLD's, often because at the time the ccTLD's had restrictions on who could register.

Although I gather the Koreans get particularly upset when foreigners register Korean stuff in com.

You mean daehanminkok.com? I've not received any upset email btw. Domains are just domains, without a website, no one gets upset. Only emails i get are those offering $50 bucks for my russian and arabic generics.
Old 1st November 2006, 06:59 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Domains are just domains, without a website, no one gets upset.
You can believe that if you want
Old 1st November 2006, 09:43 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Olney spanish language domains should be the sleepers, doing quite well over time as so much attention goes to asian languages. Also agree with sunsei, .biz is just lame regardless of language. ccTLDs could be incredibly nice if more open up to using their own character sets in second level registrations.
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:03 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, .biz and .info were the best way for me to get some really good keywords in languages that were picked through by 2005. I just want to see how they do. At least I'll have the option.
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:35 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

All I have to say is if my parents or relatives don't know about the .info and .biz, which they didn't until I told them about them. They are to me quite worthless. People are still hawking great keywords in .biz for pennies. I can't imagine it being any different especially in other languages.

The only thing I like is people building something on the .biz and having people instictivly type in .com.
Old 2nd November 2006, 03:40 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Take a look at http://germany.info/
Old 2nd November 2006, 03:44 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Thanks. Had you not shown me I would have never looked. That's my point about .info and .biz.
Old 2nd November 2006, 03:51 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Thanks. Had you not shown me I would have never looked. That's my point about .info and .biz.
Had I not seen it advertised in a magazine, I would not have looked.
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
All I have to say is if my parents or relatives don't know about the .info and .biz, which they didn't until I told them about them. They are to me quite worthless. People are still hawking great keywords in .biz for pennies. I can't imagine it being any different especially in other languages.

The only thing I like is people building something on the .biz and having people instictivly type in .com.

:-(
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:31 AM

It would be interesting if DNAME changed the perception of .info and .biz

That would kill me and my .coms, but it would be an interesting death.
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
It would be interesting if DNAME changed the perception of .info and .biz

That would kill me and my .coms, but it would be an interesting death.

You mean dname applies to european languages? I know .info, .biz dname for chinese will have very low chance of taking off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast

.info is very strong for german.

Last edited by touchring; 2nd November 2006 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:57 AM

In the universe as we know it....

Open minded IDN types should consider alternative possibilities.
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
.info is very strong for german.
Why? Because it sounds really good in European languages.

Information is what this is all about. Com ≠ commerce in people's minds. Information has a more positive connotation.
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:14 AM

I'm sorry I still have to step in here. Doing more research and looking at the "actual" topsites from these European countries where this coveted .info seems to sound so great.

Not one. And I repeat not one of the top 100 sites from France or Germany have the .info or .biz.

There are .orgs and .nets and even a .us. But not one single .info or .biz breaking the top 100.

I don't see this changing with IDN. While they still will hold some value even if very small. It will not replace country codes, .com, or even .net. There are huge words in all of these languages without the accents and still no .info or .biz in the top sites.
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:30 AM

OK. It was a gamble. Blame Edwin! When he bought a .cc domain, it was like opening the gateway to Hades!
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:36 AM
Veteran

The best $2.99 investment ever.
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:40 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry I still have to step in here. Doing more research and looking at the "actual" topsites from these European countries where this coveted .info seems to sound so great.

Not one. And I repeat not one of the top 100 sites from France or Germany have the .info or .biz.

There are .orgs and .nets and even a .us. But not one single .info or .biz breaking the top 100.

I don't see this changing with IDN. While they still will hold some value even if very small. It will not replace country codes, .com, or even .net. There are huge words in all of these languages without the accents and still no .info or .biz in the top sites.

I thikn everyone is just speculating. If you see how ridiculously high prices of .mobi have gone, it might be a $2.99 worthwhile bet. This game is 90% about hype, sure you know that being a master seller.