IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2006, 01:56 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Greek IDNs- with or without accent

Wondering if anyone has seen enough traffic on Greek idns to compare the same words registered "with" or "without" the accent marks. Any feeling on which will work better for idn names?
Old 7th November 2006, 02:46 AM

Absalon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Greek IDNs- with or without accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Wondering if anyone has seen enough traffic on Greek idns to compare the same words registered "with" or "without" the accent marks. Any feeling on which will work better for idn names?

Not sure about that either, but on a side note I have noticed that traffic seems to be picking up on the Greek IDN:s (from next to nothing to a few now and then). Have you experienced the same?
Old 7th November 2006, 03:20 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I don't have that many names to compare, but one pair of names gets about the same amount of traffic (to both accented and non-accented) and another pair has higher traffic to the non-accented name by roughly double. Maybe someone with more comparable domains could help shed some light.
Old 7th November 2006, 10:10 AM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

i only have accented names i think and the little greek traffic is sparse i think i nedto check my names lol :p might have abooby prize for a portfolio
Old 7th November 2006, 01:07 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

I get about the same amount of views for the accented and unaccented versions for my greek names(small numbers). It would be nice to get someone with a large greek portfolio to shed some light on this. Also, anyone have the .gr equivalent to their .com. It would be interesting to see the difference in traffic between the two. All of the .grs were gone for the .coms I picked up

thanks
tee1
Old 7th November 2006, 02:32 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

The unaccented versions get more traffic period. There are exceptions to the rule however.

Greek idns get small traffic at the moment but it has been picking up slowly the past few months.

For resale purposes I suggest you at least get the accented version if you can't get both. For traffic it's the other way around. (In .gr you get both versions by regging one. 2 Years minimum, and after that I think you are given the chance to pay for the other version or let it go)

As far as the deifference between the .com and .gr equivalent, I do have a few and the com usually gets more traffic (to my surprise). Greeks are more into .gr than com generally.

This would suggest to me that the type-in traffic coming to the coms is accidental rather than intentional.
Old 7th November 2006, 06:12 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

As Yanni mentioned, most traffic will be to the non-accented domains.
I have about 100 or so Greek IDNS, and they are a 50-50 mix of accented and nonaccented.

For me, the traffic is roughly the same, for cases where I have both versions of the name. I haven't yet got round to regging any .gr IDNs. In cases where I do check the availability, it seems that many were regged about 2-3 years ago.

However, for those still searching for decent Greek IDNs, there are still plenty of good ones out there. About a month or so ago, I was able to register the name ...
διαμερισματα.com ( Unaccented ) which I believe roughly translates as Apartments.com. Strangely enough, last month, this name had at least 5 times more traffic than my other Greek IDNs, and so far this month, is still ahead of the others I have.

Good luck to everyone with their Greek IDNs - it might take a little longer for them to blossom more than other languages, but once you find a good one, it will be hard to let it drop, knowing that it could turn to gold at a later stage.

Alex

Old 7th November 2006, 11:59 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

i have a few .gr but what registrar does everyone use im trying to get money back from mine for names i didnt get .
Old 8th November 2006, 08:47 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsei21
i have a few .gr but what registrar does everyone use im trying to get money back from mine for names i didnt get .
For .gr I use dnhost.gr