IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2006, 05:36 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Lessons to learn from the .mobi saga?

Looking at the .mobi hype, I think we should create a landrush for IDNs. Perhaps domainers should contribute 50 names for every 1000 IDNs they own to create a lucky draw. (Note: Those with less than 1000 names can contribute in other ways :p)
Old 8th November 2006, 05:40 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lessons to learn from the .mobi saga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring

Looking at the .mobi hype, I think we should create a landrush for IDNs. Perhaps domainers will more than 1000 names should sacrifice 50 names to create a lucky draw. :p
That could be viewed unethical. But posting a few names for appraisals with stats/revenues/translation/trends and ovt scores should spark some interest.
Old 8th November 2006, 06:31 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Traffic, revenue, and corporate advertising will spark interest. We really need to develop some domains. I put myself farther behind by regging about 500 Swedish .se domains.... At least I know what I will be doing over the coming holidays!
Old 8th November 2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

The IDN market will develop in it's own good time, and when it does, .mobi will pale in comparison.

Why are you people so desperate to manipulate the market?
Old 8th November 2006, 07:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
The IDN market will develop in it's own good time, and when it does, .mobi will pale in comparison.

Well, this is just theory talk.

Btw, with the coming economic collapse, there will be at least a 8-10 year gap before we get back to the bullish situation we are in here today.

So, if you are a 30 year old - that will be when you are 40.

If you are a 40 year old - that will come when you are 50.

Think about it...
Old 8th November 2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Any business needs a strategy. You don't just open up a store and hope for traffic. You need to think about the market. I think we are just discussing the market. I cannot control most things that affect my IDNs, but I do know that I need to develop some domains in any event.
Old 8th November 2006, 07:45 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

The only lesson to be learned from the .mobi saga is remember not to laugh so hard next time , Game Plan keep regging or developing , or whatever floats your boat

Alot of us are sitting on Rich Oil Fields the .mobi thing is just fools gold imo
Old 8th November 2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Burns, I wasn't talking about you - developing IDN sites is a great idea.

Touch, lay off the weed dude, you're getting PARANOID.
Old 8th November 2006, 08:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Well, i thougth we had a consensus on that, the only issue now is on the timing. Meanwhile, the Dow can continue it's bull run, but that doesn't change the fundmentals. In the meantime, i hope the euphoria can spread to the ascii market so that i can offload some stuck names! :p
Old 8th November 2006, 11:53 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Btw, with the coming economic collapse, there will be at least a 8-10 year gap before we get back to the bullish situation we are in here today.
Economic collapse sounds pretty heavy duty. Where do you get this forecast from?
Old 9th November 2006, 12:10 AM
Administrator

A US economic collapse will hit ASCII far harder than it hits IDN.
Old 9th November 2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Burns, I wasn't talking about you - developing IDN sites is a great idea.

:p
Old 9th November 2006, 02:26 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A US economic collapse will hit ASCII far harder than it hits IDN.
Luckly I have my ascii- britneyspearsbaby.com to carry me thru the tough times. lol
Old 9th November 2006, 03:27 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Economic collapse sounds pretty heavy duty. Where do you get this forecast from?

Maybe the term is harsh, but a correction is due, only issue is when - next year? year after? or 3 years later?

Of course, the American government can buy time playing with interest rates and reducing taxation to spur spending again, but that will only increase credit based spending, increase debt to income ratio, increase the accumulated trade deficit, jeopardize the US Dollar (via imported inflation), and make the delayed correction even more severe.

A slowed down American economy will in turn cool the Chinese economy sometime later (via reduced imports) and, maybe later trigger a real estate correction - this in turn hits back at other Asian countries that export to China, e.g. South korea, Japan, Australia, South east asia.

India will also be hit as the Indian economy is mostly dependent on America.

With a weakening US Dollar, economies like China and Japan holding onto probably a trillion dollars, will start selling their cache for Gold, adding to the selling pressure on the currency.

Last edited by touchring; 9th November 2006 at 04:13 AM..
Old 9th November 2006, 04:51 AM

Neptune is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Luckly I have my ascii- britneyspearsbaby.com to carry me thru the tough times. lol
now you need britneyspearsdivorce.com ... oh wait its taken
Old 9th November 2006, 05:00 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Looking at the .mobi hype, I think we should create a landrush for IDNs. Perhaps domainers should contribute 50 names for every 1000 IDNs they own to create a lucky draw. (Note: Those with less than 1000 names can contribute in other ways :p)
Mobi has been largely taken up by speculators. I just don't see your point, but I am guessing you haven't reach the 1000 name threshold yet.

Mobi is popular because the muppets at DNF are assuming that you will need a mobi extension for mobile access to the Internet. Perhaps someone should tell the Chinese and Japanese?

One day the fact that this utter bollucks will sink in.
Old 9th November 2006, 05:22 AM

When I first read about .mobi, I truly thought is was satire. I assumed everyone was making fun of all the new extensions. Lo and behold: It was not fiction!

I once registered a great domain .ws and a .cc and neither has ever received a view. Maybe I am wrong, but if I have trouble with good ascii.net domain traffic, how is .mobi really going to work?

Are the cell phone service providers really on board?
Old 9th November 2006, 05:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
When I first read about .mobi, I truly thought is was satire. I assumed everyone was making fun of all the new extensions. Lo and behold: It was not fiction!

I once registered a great domain .ws and a .cc and neither has ever received a view. Maybe I am wrong, but if I have trouble with good ascii.net domain traffic, how is .mobi really going to work?

Are the cell phone service providers really on board?

Well, from what i read on DNF, mobile internet is really popular in America, or rather in some cities in America, and like everyone is using a blackberry or some mobile PDA device. How's the case for you Burns?
Old 9th November 2006, 06:01 AM

We all use Treos and Blackberry devices. Who has time to surf the web on a Blackberry? That's why we have broadband internet for notebooks.

The only web surfing on cells/PDAs I ever see is when people check their Yahoo mail. Other than that, they get plenty of phone and email use. I get a lot of calls and email, though.

Mobile internet to me means Broadband Internet cards and Vcast. No need for .anything for that.
Old 9th November 2006, 06:01 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

As far as I see it there is no need for dot Mobi.

Yes, Mobiles may require a variant of web pages due to display issues, but if you want to got from English to Chinese, often you just click on the button at top of page and get directed to a different web page. All you need is a Mobile button top left and you are in business.

I can see addresses such as mob.google.com and mob.google.jp or indeed google.com/mob and google.jp/mob being much more useful and acceptable than google.mobi