IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2006, 11:33 PM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point
Afternic de-listing adult domain names

Dear Members, Domainers and Friends:

We want to share with you a recent decision that we believe will put Afternic in an even better position to serve the small business, SOHO community and greater domain industry.

After extensive consideration, we have decided to no longer accept domain names that promote hate, sex, obscenity or self-destructive behavior, such as substance abuse, violence and gambling. The sole rationale behind our decision is to make Afternic a more comfortable site for mainstream domain name shoppers, especially small business owners. We recognize that taking a leadership role on this issue may have a negative financial impact on our business in the near term. Nonetheless, we believe strongly that it's the right thing long-term decision for our industry and Afternic.

In the next few days, we will de-list these kinds of domain names currently posted on our site. Members who own such names will receive a letter from us informing them which names will no longer be listed. We hope that they, and others, will understand that we have no interest in censorship and that we fully support First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and expression. And, there is certainly no lack of other Internet sites where such names are welcomed.

The Internet, much like the early days of television, is still a new frontier. We believe it is up to the industry leaders-and we include Afternic here-to step up and determine what constitutes professional standards and practices. We take this action in the interest of socially responsible corporate behavior and hope that it leads to further healthy industry dialog and discussion on the topic.

We greatly appreciate your business and support of Afternic, and will continue to endeavor to earn your confidence and trust.

Very best regards,

Roger Collins
President of Afternic, Inc.
Old 10th November 2006, 11:37 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Afternic de-listing adult domain names

Ya just beat me to this post.
I saw it on DNF & then saw the email in my inbox

I'm not sure it's going to affect IDNs because I doubt they check for translations but I know that members here use Afternic.

I just got a gang of good Japanese Gambling domains last month too.
Old 10th November 2006, 11:42 PM

Guess you'll have to give those domains away, then.

I'll just PM my DS and DD account info.
Old 11th November 2006, 12:01 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think I might be able to find a use for them before/if I sell them...
I'll keep you in mind though...
Old 11th November 2006, 12:05 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Ya just beat me to this post.

I just got a gang of good Japanese Gambling domains last month too.

You sure did LOL
Old 11th November 2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I think I might be able to find a use for them before/if I sell them... I'll keep you in mind though...
:p
Old 11th November 2006, 02:19 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

> We hope that they, and others, will understand that we have no interest in censorship and that we fully support First Amendment rights to freedom of speech and expression.

And that is why we are practicing censorship.
Old 11th November 2006, 02:38 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

A major opportunity for some company to readily advertise that they will accept such names and become the place to go for sex, gambling domain names etc

That said, I recently closed my Afternic account so I care little for their self censoreship.
Old 11th November 2006, 02:42 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I don't know what they are talking about SOHO for. They are clearly going against the trend of sex products being mainstream.

NEW YORK POST October 30, 2006 -- New York's most ubiquitous drugstore quietly got sexy two weeks ago by stocking erotic toys and passion oils, according to Crain's New York Business magazine.

Among the items for sale from the upscale Kama Sutra line of sex aids are feather ticklers, edible honey dust, vibrators and flavored condoms.

A Kama Sutra executive said selling through Duane Reade was an easy choice, and predicted New Yorkers won't blink at seeing "pleasure" products next to the pharmacy. "We figured the Manhattan customer was sophisticated enough for our products," said Beverly Pollington Sirjani, senior VP of California-based Kama Sutra.
Old 11th November 2006, 02:42 AM

Well, adult and gambling domains are such a small part of the internet, they probably are trying to focus on the main internet areas like.... ummm.... recipes.
Old 11th November 2006, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

someone register "Afternic are a bunch of gay cocksuckers" in Swahili (dotCom of course) and list it over there.
Old 11th November 2006, 04:38 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
someone register "Afternic are a bunch of gay cocksuckers" in Swahili (dotCom of course) and list it over there.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th November 2006, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
Old 11th November 2006, 04:54 AM

Really Drew? I agree. Swahili is just fine for IDNs.
Old 11th November 2006, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Heh heh.

Didn't anyone tell them the GoP got reamed in the election and no one needs to kowtow to the far right nutjobs anymore?
Old 11th November 2006, 05:27 AM

I thought they might be courting all those out-of-work Republicans.

I am sure the Republicans need work.
Old 11th November 2006, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Word is they're all lining up for social security. Lucky for them they failed to screw it up, even though it was something they were planning to do.
Old 11th November 2006, 03:24 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
? Um........

This to me is one of the fucking dumbest things a company could do. Why as a business would it make sense to drop something or anything that could and will make you money? If it's not illegal, and last time I checked "sex" was still legal, then why drop it? This has religious moral undertones written all over it.

1. Sex (arguably) is what made the internet popular.

2. There are consumers.

3. Since there are consumers there will always be advertisers.

4. Since there are advertisers there will always be ways to monetize adult traffic.

I read a post on DNforum from DCG saying that it's because google and ypn won't pay for it's traffic. Really is that why he own's mistress.com? I'll take it off your hands. I respect DCG and what he's done for IDN but come on.