IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th November 2006, 01:39 PM

lyndonmaxewell is an unknown quantity at this point
IDN singular/plurals

In the case that the word (singular) is taken, is it always good to take the plural form? such as "car" & "cars" in other languages. Sometimes the more popular form is taken, so is it always great to take the other one if its available?

Just to look at some opinions.
Old 18th November 2006, 01:52 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: IDN singular/plurals

Well, you would have to consider it on a case by case approach.

But for strong keywords (such as car-cars as you mentioned) I would definately chance in taking the weaker version. You really can't go wrong in owning "car" in any language for 7 bucks

Overall though, it all depends on the particular language and how well your'e familiar with it, or the country.
Old 18th November 2006, 04:19 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

in arabic there is much difference between pleural and sigular not only adding"S" as in english

sometimes you add more than one letter and sometimes you even remove a letter before adding the additional letters

so they will not be typos to each other like in english .

so it really depends on what you are going to do with the name

for commercial websites they usually prefer pleural over singular as they are selling not a single product but many of it.

I think..... get the one who is available whatever singular or pleural..... if both are available get the one who has more search results
Old 18th November 2006, 04:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndonmaxewell
In the case that the word (singular) is taken, is it always good to take the plural form? such as "car" & "cars" in other languages. Sometimes the more popular form is taken, so is it always great to take the other one if its available?

Just to look at some opinions.
In English just about any "Alternative Plural" with a Z instead of an S is taken and they still sell in dot com. Singular or Plural of any terms that is commercial in any language is going to be worth money. I am surprised you are still finding them!
Old 19th November 2006, 12:29 AM

Rockafeller is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rockafeller

I've always preferred the plural over the singular version. I think that cars.com would get more type in traffic over Car.com. I think the general public thinks in plural, say if they were looking for a "car" they would search for "cars" because they want to look at more then one "car."
Old 19th November 2006, 04:01 AM

lyndonmaxewell is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
In English just about any "Alternative Plural" with a Z instead of an S is taken and they still sell in dot com. Singular or Plural of any terms that is commercial in any language is going to be worth money. I am surprised you are still finding them!
Yea, i still do find them sometimes. Well, most are not products, but are terms that have plural/singular alternatives.