IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2006, 06:29 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
My IDN no longer exists...

Any of you guys ever have an IDN, or any domain for that matter - disappear?

Over the last week, I was migrating a number of my ND parked Japanese city domains to a project I'm working on. It involved the simple process of changing nameservers to my host, adding the domain to my host account, connecting to the domain with CuteFTP and uploading the files, and finally deleting the domain from my ND account. Sweet.

I had setup around 10 or so of these city IDN's over a couple of days without a hitch. Until I moved this one -

小牧市.com Komaki City (xn--yet48br19a.com)

At the end of a night's work, I was doing a final inspection when I attempted to visit this URL. To my surprise, it wasn't directing me to my generic parking page I had built for it - it was resolving to what looked like a broken ND parking page.

I emailed ND about it, and at first the tech claimed he was able to view my generic parking page. A few more hours later though, and the domain had disappeared altogether!

ND's final response on the matter was -

Quote:
I see that it isn't resolving at all right now. All I can get is a
Google search results page or the error, "Internet Explorer cannot
display the web page". The .jpg you sent is definitely a ND page but it
seems that the DNS has not been updated for all regions. Users are free
to add and delete names as they like and and since you've deleted the
name from your portfolio and changed the DNS, there's really nothing
else that can be done. You'll really want to contact the registrar and
find out why the name isn't resolving properly.
I contacted the registrar for this domain - 007names.com And after a few emails back and forth, their latest response is -

Quote:
We have contacted the registry for the issue. There is no reason why the DNS update failed. We checked our program and it works with the names we own.

We'll let you know when we have the answer.
So while I wait here to find out what the freak has happened to my IDN, I am too scared to continue my project! I am now unsure of the safety of the processes involved to setup my sites if a domain can just vanish...

I was wondering if anyone had any clues as to what might be going on, or have you encountered the same problem in the past?

Cheers
Old 30th November 2006, 07:52 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: My IDN no longer exists...

DNS hasn't settled yet. It is at hostgator right now, do you have an index.html file in there, because there is no website as of there, but your nameservers are working.

Flushing the DNS might also work to view the webpage,

START>RUN>type : CMD>type: flush /ipconfig

finish your project, dont worry about the DNS yet. If you have doubts, go to a proxy site and try your website from there if its not working from your computer. My ISP cached my website for 1 week, it was driving me crazy. Need anything just let us know.
Old 30th November 2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Sorting out the problem would be easier if you gave an example of one name ou have moved that IS going, for comparison purposes.

From what I can make out, the hostgator nameservers aren't replying as authoritative for the domain and aren't handing out an a record.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:30 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Also, your idn is not registering in the who.is system.

Hopefully it will all work out for you Seamo. No other ideas to give you except to keep on your registrar.
Old 1st December 2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
DNS hasn't settled yet. It is at hostgator right now, do you have an index.html file in there, because there is no website as of there, but your nameservers are working.

Flushing the DNS might also work to view the webpage,

START>RUN>type : CMD>type: flush /ipconfig

finish your project, dont worry about the DNS yet. If you have doubts, go to a proxy site and try your website from there if its not working from your computer. My ISP cached my website for 1 week, it was driving me crazy. Need anything just let us know.
Thanks for your reply Fka200.

Yes I have an index.html file out there somewhere :o I managed to get the site files uploaded and the site had been resolving correctly for a very short while (maybe 20 mins) before things started going wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Sorting out the problem would be easier if you gave an example of one name ou have moved that IS going, for comparison purposes.
Thanks Drewbert - 今治市.com is an example of one that has worked just fine. Thanks for any help you may be able to give here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Also, your idn is not registering in the who.is system.

Hopefully it will all work out for you Seamo. No other ideas to give you except to keep on your registrar.
Yes - I noticed this as well - much to my dismay! I hope this IDN is "retrievable". I know it isn't a "premium" one, but netherless it is (or was) mine!

Thanks very much guys for your input.
Old 1st December 2006, 10:27 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Yes - I noticed this as well - much to my dismay! I hope this IDN is "retrievable". I know it isn't a "premium" one, but netherless it is (or was) mine!
Thanks very much guys for your input.
A Japanese city, 150,000 population, and .com is a very marketable IDN.
I would hold out for a premium price for that IDN; and won't be long til' someone come knocking.
Old 1st December 2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

OK.

I think you should log into 007names control panel, and set the nameservers to something else (like fastpark again) wait 30 minutes, then set them back to the hostgator name servers.

Wait another 30 minutes and see if it's all fixed.

If that doesn't work, get back to me.
Old 1st December 2006, 07:40 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

If it resolved for a shortwhile and went bad again, don't worry it should work. Exact same situation happened with me when I changed DNS to start developing. Unplug your modem/router and just let it set for like an hour or something, then do the flush dns i told u about, then clear cache. Nameservers are pointed to hostgator... you have nothing to lose . gluck
Old 2nd December 2006, 01:20 AM

Still not showing up in the who.is
Any word from the registrar?
Old 2nd December 2006, 02:39 AM
Administrator

This is NOT a DNS cache problem. Trust me on this one.
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Still not showing up in the who.is
Any word from the registrar?
No, nothing yet. But I sure have a few more questions to ask ND now!

I took your advice Drewbert and reset the nameservers to ND's, and thought I may as well add the domain to my portfolio once more.

Sure enough, within minutes the site was up with a ND parking page...

I'll give it an hour or so and try shifting it back to hostgator again. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

UPDATE: I'm pleased to report it's all working as it should now

I let the site stay parked with ND for an hour or so, and then tried shifting it back to hostgator again. It's been live for around an hour now , and all looks good so far.

Thanks for your input on this thread guys - much appreciated!

Last edited by seamo; 2nd December 2006 at 11:53 AM..