IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2006, 05:57 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like .mobi craze has fizzled out?

Looks like .mobi craze has fizzled out? This must be the shortest domain hype! :o

In comparison, IDN craze lasted a few more months longer.
Old 7th December 2006, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looks like .mobi craze has fizzled out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Looks like .mobi craze has fizzled out? This must be the shortest domain hype! :o

In comparison, IDN craze lasted a few more months longer.
Yes, one day the self-styled leaders of our industry that splashed out big on dot Mobi are going to wake up and realise that the entire globe cannot actually navigate in English, as they have asserted, and the money that they have blown on an extension that has been hyped on BS and bought in ignorance would have been better invested in IDN.
Old 7th December 2006, 11:41 PM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

You guys have obviously missed, or don't want to see, all the sales that are occuring and will continue to do so with the marketing strategy that the .mobi marketeers appear to have.

The same hype with idns would not go amiss.
Old 8th December 2006, 12:03 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Looks like .mobi craze has fizzled out? This must be the shortest domain hype!
While I'm not a big fan of .mobi I have to agree with Wot. Where are you getting your information from?
Old 8th December 2006, 01:26 AM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point

laptops.mobi just sold for $32,900 on afternic
Old 8th December 2006, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Hype is EXACTLY what this mobi craze is.

Just another .biz in the making.
Old 8th December 2006, 04:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
You guys have obviously missed, or don't want to see, all the sales that are occuring and will continue to do so with the marketing strategy that the .mobi marketeers appear to have.

The same hype with idns would not go amiss.

We all know that sales don't mean anything. A few guys can arrange a few i sell you, you sell me, and some will follow.

I'm making this judgement based on the amount of .mobi "chatter" on DNF and DS.
Old 8th December 2006, 04:19 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Hype is EXACTLY what this mobi craze is.

Just another .biz in the making.

Nope, disagree - .mobi is already way past .biz in sales sizes and possibly volume and probably even in recognition.
Old 8th December 2006, 05:28 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand it. I don't want to waste time on .mobi, myself.

However, .mobi buyers probably look at IDNs in the same way....

Only time will tell.
Old 8th December 2006, 05:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
I don't understand it. I don't want to waste time on .mobi, myself.

However, .mobi buyers probably look at IDNs in the same way....

Only time will tell.

There's no need to wait for time to tell, we're already earning PPC with IDNs.
Old 8th December 2006, 05:53 AM

Yes, but to be fair, I believe that the .mobi domains are selling for quite a bit more than the IDNs overall because 'they can' and not because the market fundamentals (PPC, etc.) are sound.

IDNs are, also, not showing PPC that would demand the large prices. It is still speculation. And before anyone flames me for that, take a long hard look at our overall PPC so far. Ask NameDrive for global stats. IDN domains are a miniscule amount of their income. Excluding sales from/to/between a small group of IDNers, the majority of us can honestly say it is speculation.

This DOES NOT mean that I see it as a bad investment. It means that I see it as a risk. We never really knew if MS IE7 would support IDNs (they dropped a lot of Vista functionality/promises before release). We never knew when it would be released. We still don't know that some other 'bump in the road' might be ahead (governmental interference, new hacker/phishing concerns that never occurred to us before, etc.). We don't even know when users will use IDNs like they use current ASCII domains. We cannot 'prove' anything. The future is always uncertain.

The big differences? Companies already use browser detection for mobile devices (I surf with a PDA and I see it). Companies have already branded their .coms, etc. This is a problem for .mobi domains. We IDNers still have to overcome that ASCII 'branding' hurdle, but it may not be as big a deal for a whole lot of reasons that we all know.

Let's try to keep good relations with these ascii-only folks. Anyone who can spend that kind of money on .mobi domains will respond favorably to IDNs once the market forces push them our way.
Old 8th December 2006, 06:23 AM

I sometimes fail to understand some of you guys, .mobi .whatever - they are all domain names.

Why you have created this ascii and idns thing is beyond me and has been a detractor to the idn cause. And now you want to make an us and them with everything.

.asia will be coming up in the not too distant future - another one you can hammer - until of course they offer idns and then just like those orrible .info , .biz things the majority of you will jump in.

They are domain names , that is the business you are in , diversification in all things is a fair way forward - .mobi , .com , .whatever.

To cover your heads in the sand and hope that what is currently a steam train for .mobi is naive.

"We all know that sales don't mean anything. A few guys can arrange a few i sell you, you sell me, and some will follow." -come on!

Given the opportunity who would be the first to reg 中国.mobi - nobody here - yeah right.
Old 8th December 2006, 07:44 AM

Face it, there are some very strong ascii-only opinions out there. I can point you to a few DNF posts if you don't believe there are IDN haters. I am not making that up myself.

I doubt anyone is idn-only except the true newbies. Just because I think .mobi is trash does not mean I am anti-ascii. I have hundreds of ascii domains (many members here have many more than I). The same reason I have only one .cc and only three or four .tv is because I was able to get some really strong keywords at the time. I also have three strong keyword .la domains with decent stats. But, for the most part, that extension is trash.

I might possibly get an IDN.mobi, but I seriously doubt I would be able to get a strong keyword. If I could, I might get one or two IDN.mobi for resale or kicks. Maybe. I am not sold on that extension or most other extensions. I am sold on strong Spanish IDN.biz because I live in the USA. Canada is French/English and USA is English/Spanish. If I didn't live my entire life around Spanish speakers, I would probably not understand it either. Some languages may seem a longshot for IDN.com to me, but someone out there is going to go for it.

Yes, it is about money, but also about faith and risk. I would not likely risk my money on .mobi because I have no faith in that extension. It really makes no sense to claim it as the 'mobile' extension when that is clearly untrue. IDNs (and the things I believe about IDNs) do ring true to me.

I don't have the patience or stomach to try to flip any .mobi when I am so busy with what I see as a better investment. Personal choice and personal risk. It is not a ascii vs idn thing. The ascii-only fanatics (and there are some that call us wicked names) are creating that distinction. Not I. I am certainly willing to agree that IDN is a risk and that we could all be truly delusional. We could be dead wrong about this IDN thing.

Anyone claiming to know the future is probably selling something to you at a high price - whether .mobi or IDN. All domains are a risk.

Only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
To cover your heads in the sand and hope that what is currently a steam train for .mobi is naive.
I am not burying my head in the sand. I never wanted a .mobi domain. Nor do I want a .ws, .bz, .ag, .sc, .io, .ac, or .name domain. I do not want to compete in those arenas. Personal preference, not sand diving. Just because others like .mobi doesn't mean that I have to buy one, too.

I also chose to ignore some of the 'fads' at IDNF a year or more ago. While most were squeezing out everything Japanese, others of us chose to go after other languages. Just because Japanese IDNs are a good investment doesn't mean I dove for the sands of Russia and covered my head. I have limited time and resources. We are not all the same.

Last edited by burnsinternet; 8th December 2006 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 8th December 2006, 08:04 AM
Veteran

The verdict on IDF fads is not out yet, i think no one can be sure of that.

While names like Turkish has high traffic, but at 1 cent a click, it won't perform much better than a Japanese name. btw, i was told, 1 cents might even be 0 cents since ND will even pay when Google doesn't pay.
Old 8th December 2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
The verdict on IDF fads is not out yet, i think no one can be sure of that.

While names like Turkish has high traffic, but at 1 cent a click, it won't perform much better than a Japanese name. btw, i was told, 1 cents might even be 0 cents since ND will even pay when Google doesn't pay.
Very true. And the jury is still out on .mobi, but I have my own opinions about that, too. We all have our 'crazes' and fads based on hearsay or hype. How many of us have a Japanese IDN with 'hotel' in it and it has never been viewed? How many of us have tried to translate big ASCII names (from latest reported sales) into IDNs without even considering cultural implications? We are all so quick to reg (IDN, .mobi, or .whatever) that we are also quick to judge. And a quick reg can be very good! Or really silly.

Either way, domains are domains in the same way that real estate is real estate. Few investors can successfully focus on every area and do well long-term.

As far as I can tell, .mobi is selling, IDNers are regging away, and the general public still has little clue about domaining and domainers. And we'll all laugh at the ascii-idn distinction in a few years.

Of course, I could be wrong. :p
Old 8th December 2006, 08:44 AM

I have never regged a bad domain name and I have never been wrong - not since the last time.
Old 8th December 2006, 08:45 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
I have never regged a bad domain name

Wow, now this is what i call confidence!

Last edited by touchring; 8th December 2006 at 08:50 AM..
Old 8th December 2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Wow, now this is what i call confidence!
That is what I call taking a statement out of context

I have never regged a bad domain name and I have never been wrong - not since the last time
Old 8th December 2006, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Nope, disagree - .mobi is already way past .biz in sales sizes and possibly volume and probably even in recognition.
Yes, but much of this is based on a complete lie. The sheep like ASCII set have bought it because many of them think it is essential to internet access. They believe that like dot com, all the big corporations will use it. This is simply not true. It will soon become clear that the simple solution is to set up a subdomain where all the Mobile traffic is simply redirected. Obviously, a condensed format will be required and perhaps something similar to the dot Mobi standard will be adopted. What is not required, and the underlying assumption that whole speculation bubble is being based on, is that mega corporations will need to register dot Mobi to participate in the inevitable mobile surfing boom.

What most forget is that Japan, Korea and China already have very strong online surfing markets and they predate the launch of dot mobi. The problem has largely arisen due to the misassumption by the US that they are still at the cutting edge.

Yes, some IDN hype would be excellent. Verisign would need to deliver no that, and to date they have not done so. Perhaps they are keeping their powder dry until the minute that they feel an assault will have the most impact. Verisign are certainly not going to stand back and watch the likes of Affilias or Mobi walk all over them. Don't forget they have been in the market for for best part of ten years and have stayed the course. When it comes to advertising budgets, I think they could go head to head with the Mobi Registry if they wished.
Old 8th December 2006, 10:50 AM

Whilst I agree that the ascii (domainers also) guys have been jumping in to .mobi because of it being promoted as THE "way to access the internet via a mobile".

Now if that catches on with joe public, who certainly knows even less, then you have something that could really take off. It would then be difficult to change the mindset and joe public will be actively seeking the .mobi logo so he/she can access the net - certainly not beyond the bounds of possibility and I believe that is the direction the .mobi marketeers will be taking - they do not care, and will certainly not be advising that there is an alternative way to do it.

They are in the process of branding their product- time will tell.

On that basis I have added a dozen .mobi to my pathetic portfolio.