IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2006, 03:02 AM

JohnA is an unknown quantity at this point
What language is this? Greek, latine?

I have this: xn--glf-9yc.com (golf.com)?

I need to find out what lanuage this is for.

Im new to this.

what do I do with this?
Old 11th December 2006, 03:10 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: What language is this? Greek, latine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA
I have this: xn--glf-9yc.com (golf.com)?

I need to find out what lanuage this is for.

Im new to this.

what do I do with this?
This domain has no value except for attempts at fraud. The O is the greek Omicron. It is mixed script. It means nothing and is worth nothing.
Old 11th December 2006, 03:42 AM

JohnA is an unknown quantity at this point

what should be done?

Last edited by JohnA; 11th December 2006 at 03:47 AM..
Old 11th December 2006, 04:06 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well setting up a website would be ill advised. You will get no natural type-in and people won't be able to use the URL to get back to your website.

The term << gοlf >> as it actually is has almost no web content and will not be searched. Your site would simply get no traffic.

The only way you could get people to your site is by sending them and email with a dodgy link which would appear to show them Golf.com which is no doubt a reputable site. This is phishing and it is fraud.

Messing about like this could end up costing you everything you own.

This domain could not be registered today, will almost certainly not resolve in the near future, and will probably be deleted shortly.

You don't actually need to do anything except forget it, unless you paid good money for it, in which case you need to go after the fraudster that sold it to you. I would suggest a 3 Iron myself.
Old 11th December 2006, 08:10 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it really any different than g0lf.com (with a zero instead of an 'o'), RD?

True, you will get no type-in traffic. Also, IE7 will not resolve the punycode, so only xn--glf-9yc.com will be seen in the address bar.
Old 11th December 2006, 09:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
Is it really any different than g0lf.com (with a zero instead of an 'o'), RD?

True, you will get no type-in traffic. Also, IE7 will not resolve the punycode, so only xn--glf-9yc.com will be seen in the address bar.
It maybe in as much as the registery is like to delete it. Having said that there would be a strong case for deleting g0lf as well!
Old 11th December 2006, 11:08 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the same argument could be made for any mixed script domains. However, I have several legitimate & legal mixed script domains that have an IE7 problem. I don't see a threat of deletion. We just can't register them anymore.

If the owner of g0lf dot com likes that address, then let him/her keep it. It just isn't very valuable. Same with this domain. Just because it isn't great doesn't mean it should be deleted.