View Single Post
Old 1st March 2006, 02:28 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: China Splits from the Internet? Probably Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
This is exactly what I think based on what I have seen. I don't think China would split their root server from ICANN. China just wants to create some noise to force US to release their control of the internet to UN.
To split off certainly would not be in China's best interests image-wise in the world community. With the Beijing Olympics just around the corner in 2008, and the opportunites that presents to showcase the country, this would not make public relations sense. They stand to gain too much, including a lot more business around the world and increased exposure to every country of the world.

China's desire for increased investment and trade with the world community will only be hampered if they pull out or attempt to circumvent ICANN. It would also no doubt be detrimental to maintaining their unprecedented growth in national GNP. China has many options to manage internet information without making this drastic choice, and this is already seen in the "arm-twisting" of Google and Yahoo to do business on their terms and restrictions.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 3rd March 2006 at 01:05 PM..