IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > Русские Доменные Имена

Русские Доменные Имена Discussion on native Russian IDN domain names

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:32 PM

filmlion is an unknown quantity at this point
3 questions on our survival

1. guys, is it possible that someone makes decision to take the idn domains away from domainers and give it to those who own the same domains in latin (ascii)? i mean if say they guy owns: vodka.com - will they give the right to get водка.com for the initial price (or will court go for this decision)? what do you think?

2. another question: i think this is more likely for .ru domains? since the decisions like that are more common in Russia, and it will make sense to all the current ascii.ru sites - it's logical...

3. and the final question: is there any chance that the russianidn.com domains would cost nothing because of some new development or decision? how good are the chances for that?

please answer like:
1. ..................
2. ..................
3. ..................

thanks.
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:51 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: 3 questions on our survival

1. Would the owner of car.com be entitled to coche.com (Spanish) or voiture.com (Italian)? No.

2. Who would get Москва.ru... moscow.ru, moskva.ru, or even mockba.ru?

3. Possible.
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

1. I don't think this possible with non-Latin names as they will not generally be confusingly similar. It what it looks like that is important with TMs not what it represents or sounds like.
2. I think it is possible that they may allocate dot RU on transliteration basis, but it is anyone's guess.
3. There is virtually no chance domains will be replaced with anything else. Dot RU might prove more popular than dot com but if Russia goes IDN before Dot RU is launched then that risk recedes greatly. I think there is no chance whatoever that Latin will be kept in preference to Cyrillic.
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:57 PM

1. clear - i guess the only case when it's possible is when it's a trademark - say: nokia.com нокия.com and idns in other languagues .com and even all other extensions - subject to local laws and decisions though.

2. Москва.ru... moscow.ru, moskva.ru, or even mockba.ru? yes, it's subject to the decision from the regulating body. the same story as it can happen with all trademark owners of: vodka - in russia. or is there only one?

3. what are the risks we have? how big are the risks?

Rubber Duck - #3. i agree. i think .ru will be more popular than .com in Russia for IDNs - but who knows how they decide with the extensions... it's clear that it will be transformed into native language too within some years - but what would be the method...? when we discussed this quesion with alphamale we thought that they probably make it happen with .ком (russian letters) equals to .com - i think, that would be great for us, quite logical, easy to implement, and they will make (not lose) a lot of money. however local goverment might insist in local language tlds... but that will ruin the internet - so i think will never happen. - the "decoding" method make more sense - but is too complicated - which would equal what? especially in the .ru (.ру) case.

Last edited by filmlion; 2nd January 2007 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:26 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Not in the format you asked since the questions have allready been answered

IF i got the picture right... IDN.RU will cost Over $1,000.00 USD to reg and even if you want to pay this you will have to show you have a 'concrete' connection to the industry via sunshine,sundown and rainy periods...
.RU = .ру and .py is for paraguay, the 'rumor' says they will either do .rf (рф) for russian federation or .rus (рус) But won't do .ru which is good since either of the other 2 option have 0 brand recognition and .com/net has its brand recognition worldwide - russia included

the above are all likely to happen and all will benefit russian idn.com/net holders imo.

thoughts and scenarios are welcome
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:29 PM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy

currently if you have x.com and x.fr is interested and if it's not a trade mark, x.fr will have to buy your x.com.

The same applies also for IDN within .com.

DABSI
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:34 PM

good points... i guess that means that we are on the right track... )

since my questions are mostly clarified, i wonder, how much will prices for russianidn.com domains go up within 6 months, 1 year.. etc? any predictions? articles on this? what it depends on? how much are they selling for now? any stats? thanks.
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:54 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmlion
.. i wonder, how much will prices for russianidn.com domains go up within 6 months, 1 year.. etc?...
hello again.

If we knew the answer to that, then people woudn't be buying or wouldn't be selling.
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:11 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmlion
good points... i guess that means that we are on the right track... )

since my questions are mostly clarified, i wonder, how much will prices for russianidn.com domains go up within 6 months, 1 year.. etc? any predictions? articles on this? what it depends on? how much are they selling for now? any stats? thanks.
Price in 2005: $0.
Price in 2006: up to $2K
Price in 2007: up to $20K
Price in 2008: up to $200K
Price in 2009: first $2M sale
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:20 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Price in 2005: $0.
Price in 2006: up to $2K
Price in 2007: up to $20K
Price in 2008: up to $200K
Price in 2009: first $2M sale
lol...if it only was that simple...
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:56 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
lol...if it only was that simple...

LOL, if that were the case, there won't be sellers. One zero every year. :p
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:58 PM

funny. well, i hope that's the case. buying my first batch of russian idn domains real soon.
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
currently if you have x.com and x.fr is interested and if it's not a trade mark, x.fr will have to buy your x.com.

The same applies also for IDN within .com.

DABSI

Also to add that generics can also be trademarked.

Anyone knows a cheap trademark service? Online app preferably.
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Also to add that generics can also be trademarked.

Anyone knows a cheap trademark service? Online app preferably.
I am not convinced that this is in any way useful.
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I am not convinced that this is in any way useful.

Maybe not for common law, but it's particularly useful for places like China where the law is rigid and not implicit - if someone trademarks Google before Google gets the trademark in China, Google cannot operate as Google in China.

There have been cases that American companies win, but only after years and multiple court cases, appeals, and maybe bribes to the judges involved.

Amazing? But that's how it works.
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
It's particularly useful for places like China where the law is explicit and not implicit - if someone trademarks Google before Google gets the trademark in China, Google cannot operate as Google in China.

There have been cases that American companies win, but only after years and multiple court cases, appeals, and maybe bribes to the judges involved.

Amazing? But that's how it works.
Well that may be so, but a Generic Term is a Generic Term and the chances are any TM would be worthless.

Furthermore, if the registration is in the US, I think you will find that that is where the UDRP would be held, as that is where the legal juristiction is.
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:31 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

We seen these discussions prior and been there...but...i.e Puma in whatever language...does the fact you think of Puma the shoes/clothes makes it a TM? i dont think so...IF you use this domain to sell shoes/clothes or surrounding products it surely impliments bad intensions and you will lose the domain but if you put up a small/big site dedicated to Puma's...where is the problem?

Old 2nd January 2007, 11:56 PM

i like the example about puma )) "very nice, hi 5" (in borat's style) ))
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:18 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

The question is what about i.e Lada лада which again..imo it all comes to usage
(Lada is a car company but also a female name...or should i say it is a female name and also a car company)

Old 3rd January 2007, 12:49 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well that may be so, but a Generic Term is a Generic Term and the chances are any TM would be worthless.

Furthermore, if the registration is in the US, I think you will find that that is where the UDRP would be held, as that is where the legal juristiction is.

I think i wouldn't rely on that. Have you read about the game.co.uk case?