View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2006, 07:45 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: The Sinister "Walled Garden"

Dave, I don't understand why you think I'm setting out to "trash" anything. What would be the point of such a time-wasting exercise?

I am posting interpretations of what MIGHT be happening. I have been at pains to clearly indicate that these interpretations rest on a foundation that depends on certain things happening, and should be seen in that context.

As the other thread's link showed, the real "reality" seems to be closer to the fact that China is taking control (or more active control) over a Chinese extension that they see as ".com in Chinese" rather than control of .com itself. This may yet have a significant negative impact on Chinese-language IDNs, we'll have to wait and see.

At the same time, China is famous for its over-arching control over the Web as seen by its citizens - Google "great firewall of China" with quotes and you get over 200,000 articles addressing this!

Other countries, such as Japan and Russia, exert absolutely no country-level control that I've heard of over the traffic that is allowed to pass through their country. Of course, local ISPs may implement some blocking (never heard of any here, though) but by and large it's a total free-for-all.

No matter what the precise facts are behind the most recent China IDN story, it is impossible to realistically spin any change they bring, no matter how small, in a way that is "good" for Chinese IDN. At the very very best, nothing has changed, but all other interpretations are "bad" for Chinese IDN prospects.