View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2006, 01:41 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: ☎ TELEPHONE related IDNs

You type おんせん 「ONSEN」 HOT SPRINGS, and choose ♨ or 温泉、
for でんわ 「DENWA 」TELEPHONE you can choose ☎ or 電話。
Japanese certainly know that ☎ is 電話, and typing でんわ is the loical way to get 電話, so why not ☎。

There are no CHINESE CHARACTERS on any keyboard. There are only phonetic signs, such as A B C, or KANA か き く け こ、so typing in Japanese involves 三 steps:

① Key in the ROMAN letters (or KANA if you have a KANA keyboard).
② Press [spacebar] and recieve a default CHARACTER 漢字. If you are not satisfied, press [space again], and choose from the CHARACTER/SYMBOL you want.
③ Press [return] to accept the selection.

The system remembers how often you choose which character, and presents it by default the next time.
So now, I've selected ☎ so many times, it comes up as the default when I type でんわ!

I just typed all of the above using a Japanese keyboard. Including the circled numbers, telephone, and hot springs sign.

That's why many people have ☎ on their business cards.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 2nd March 2006 at 02:34 PM..