Thread: This sucks. .cn
View Single Post
Old 24th September 2007, 06:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This sucks. .cn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
As I understand it is the "院" part which has got dusty into trouble (institute), University names etc. are not allowed to be privately owned - and are off limits except for Government approved & licensed educational bodies, as I understand).

What will be interesting later is to see if the .com version makes it through the firewall or even onto the listings in China - it might not!
I would not be surprised if the Search Engines agree to not include .com IDNs in search results, where the .cn version is banned (so don't count on the idea that having the .com, .net or .biz etc., will definitely be helpful as an alternative solution to not being able to hold banned .cn IDNs or in any other cases World-wide where this anomaly exists between gTLD and other ccTLDs IDNs out there).
Yes - I know it is hard for the gTLD to even check the language terms in half the languages they accept and this is partly why they have taken this approach to accept anything - but be careful (they might not work in countries later)... it might be the .com one traded at XX,XXX that gets this problem later (possibly even the Country-IDN.com ones which will be up for auction soon )

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: however I agree dusty - it is tough to loose this name... but avoid institute names etc. and you should be fine
It is possible there will be some short-term problems with dot Coms of the nature you describe, but you won't actually lose the name.

China will undoubtedly become more liberal in its approach to a number of issues as time progresses, so even if they are not initially get getting SERP, all is not lost.