IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > النطاقات العربي

النطاقات العربي Discussion on Arabic Domains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2006, 05:48 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Difference between إ and ا

Everytime i register an Arabic domain, i find myself encountering this question, whether to register the one with إ as well. Appreciate any comments. :-)
Old 9th February 2006, 06:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Everytime i register an Arabic domain, i find myself encountering this question, whether to register the one with إ as well. Appreciate any comments. :-)
The little thing below the Stroke is Hamza, which is Glottal Stop. Alif comes with this above and below and another thing called Madda. I ran into a lot of problems with Arabic in the early days. It not so much what is correct that matters, it is what is actually used. Classical Arabic will get you nowhere. Google is a very good indicator of the extent of useage. Arabic also gets good US Overture. Be guided by the numbers not necessarily by what your translator tells you. There may be many acceptable forms, but only those that eventually get typed in are going to be worth real money.
Old 9th February 2006, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
The little thing below the Stroke is Hamza, which is Glottal Stop. Alif comes with this above and below and another thing called Madda. I ran into a lot of problems with Arabic in the early days. It not so much what is correct that matters, it is what is actually used. Classical Arabic will get you nowhere. Google is a very good indicator of the extent of useage. Arabic also gets good US Overture. Be guided by the numbers not necessarily by what your translator tells you. There may be many acceptable forms, but only those that eventually get typed in are going to be worth real money.
Yes, but the one with the little stroke gets less OVT, and counts, but seems to be displayed on official/formal company sites more often. It's as though the one that is actually used more often is not the "proper spelling".

My concern is this might be an issue in the future if a big company wants to buy our domains and wants the "proper spelling".

Also, the popularity of the one without the little thing varies from word to word. I've seen cases whereby the one with the little thing can be half the popularity as that without - which is quite significant.

Last edited by touchring; 9th February 2006 at 06:47 PM..
Old 9th February 2006, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The one with the little stroke gets less OVT, and counts, but seems to be displayed on official/formal company sites more often. It's as though the one that is actually used is not the "proper spelling".
Yes, confusing isn't it. The formal version is probably rather archiac and not used routinely, but is almost certainly more correct. With Arabic the Typo would often seem to be worth more than real thing!
Old 9th February 2006, 07:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, confusing isn't it. The formal version is probably rather archiac and not used routinely, but is almost certainly more correct. With Arabic the Typo would often seem to be worth more than real thing!
I think it's not as simple as we think. Cultures vary, and in many cultures, using the correct thing for the website might be number 1 priority.
Old 9th February 2006, 09:59 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
always get the one without stroke if you looking for more traffic and typeins

arabic keyboard allows you to type the letter without stroke by hitting one button

but to type the other one you need to press shift at same time which people will be lazy to do

anyway if you got the stroke one tell your buyer it is the correct name

if you got the other one don't hesitate to show him OVT for both of them
Old 10th February 2006, 07:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
always get the one without stroke if you looking for more traffic and typeins

arabic keyboard allows you to type the letter without stroke by hitting one button

but to type the other one you need to press shift at same time which people will be lazy to do

anyway if you got the stroke one tell your buyer it is the correct name

if you got the other one don't hesitate to show him OVT for both of them
Thks G, ok, i understand, the one without the stroke is a "shortform", as people write fast and ignore the stroke, am i correct?
Old 10th February 2006, 12:11 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thks G, ok, i understand, the one without the stroke is a "shortform", as people write fast and ignore the stroke, am i correct?
yea , exactly .

that's why it is not good always to copy and past ....cuz those translators will give you the names with strokes and will not give you those shortforms which have more OVT .

also there are different strokes that are written as a separate letter =====
" AVOID THEM LIKE PLAGUE !!!" they are as bad as hyphens in english names

those like that one ّ as the last letter in persian فارسيّ

the rest are
ْ
ٍ
ِ
َ
ُ
ٌ
funny that they all appear like dots or strokes ....
Old 10th February 2006, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
yea , exactly .

that's why it is not good always to copy and past ....cuz those translators will give you the names with strokes and will not give you those shortforms which have more OVT .

also there are different strokes that are written as a separate letter =====
" AVOID THEM LIKE PLAGUE !!!" they are as bad as hyphens in english names

those like that one ّ as the last letter in persian فارسيّ

the rest are
ْ
ٍ
ِ
َ
ُ
ٌ
funny that they all appear like dots or strokes ....

Yes, these variants get very little Google at the moment, but it may be something to do with the way search in Arabic is indexed and cross-referenced. This may change with time.
Old 11th February 2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, these variants get very little Google at the moment, but it may be something to do with the way search in Arabic is indexed and cross-referenced. This may change with time.

yea this is right with the letter with stroke

but the strokes which are separate letters still not good even with search indexing