IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10th February 2006, 03:24 PM
alex's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 314
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 505
alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there a Firefox extension to display UTF-8 in address bar

...instead of Punycode?

I can enter the URL as UTF-8 into the address bar, but once the page loads it shows the raw Punycode. Is there any way to keep the native language showing after the page loads?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10th February 2006, 03:39 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1224
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex
...instead of Punycode?

I can enter the URL as UTF-8 into the address bar, but once the page loads it shows the raw Punycode. Is there any way to keep the native language showing after the page loads?
No there isn't unfortunately. I noticed that FF will sometimes render the URL in unicode but most times in punycode.

This is a bug that FF development is aware of. Hopefully it'll be resolved in the next build.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10th February 2006, 04:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: WonderLand
Posts: 31
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 478
idnnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
No there isn't unfortunately. I noticed that FF will sometimes render the URL in unicode but most times in punycode.

This is a bug that FF development is aware of. Hopefully it'll be resolved in the next build.
Hi gamma, I am not sure this is a bug. If FF finds the site to be an established legal site, it will show its URL in unicode. Try this one:

http://北京.cn
__________________
IDN
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11th February 2006, 01:39 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1224
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnnow
Hi gamma, I am not sure this is a bug. If FF finds the site to be an established legal site, it will show its URL in unicode. Try this one:

http://北京.cn
I think it is a bug. And a programmer who's contributed to the moz code also thinks it's a bug.

If you mouse over the url without clicking through to it, the 1st example you provided is displayed as unicode in the lower left hand corner of FF. The 2nd example is displayed as punycode.

Example:

mouse over http://北京.cn

mouse over http://항공.com

Both lead to sites.

It is most likely a glitch in the rendering algorithm. How would FF know that a particular unicode url leads to an 'established legal site' without doing a page load? What would be criteria for an 'established legal site'? I think I know what you're saying, but I think it is very unlikely. They're not in the business of parsing and storing information about sites.

Last edited by gammascalper; 11th February 2006 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11th February 2006, 02:57 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: WonderLand
Posts: 31
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 478
idnnow is an unknown quantity at this point
I read an article about 2 months ago (but can't remember from where) that FF had a white list built in to the browser, sites that are on the list will be showed in its unicode. Maybe we should double check on this.
__________________
IDN
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11th February 2006, 03:06 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1224
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnnow
I read an article about 2 months ago (but can't remember from where) that FF had a white list built in to the browser, sites that are on the list would be showed in its unicode. Maybe we should double check on this.
I've seen a blacklist of characters, but I know of no blacklist/whitelist of sites.

Post if you find it :-)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11th February 2006, 03:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: WonderLand
Posts: 31
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 478
idnnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
I've seen a blacklist of characters, but I know of no blacklist/whitelist of sites.

Post if you find it :-)
Yes, maybe I am wrong, probably read too fast :-)
__________________
IDN
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11th February 2006, 05:28 AM
alex's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 314
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 505
alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
If you mouse over the url without clicking through to it, the 1st example you provided is displayed as unicode in the lower left hand corner of FF. The 2nd example is displayed as punycode.

Example:

mouse over http://北京.cn

mouse over http://항공.com
Interesting info, I guess we're still on the frontier with IDNs. http://北京.cn does stay in my address bar after the page loads.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12th February 2006, 05:29 AM
alex's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 314
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 505
alex is an unknown quantity at this point
On a tangent...

Is there anything server side or within the page code that you can do to force the UTF-8 display in the address bar?


Btw, Opera seems to display all IDNs correctly in the address bar, even http://항공.com.

Last edited by alex; 12th February 2006 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy idns
domain name lawyer
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54