IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Forums Announcements

IDN Forums Announcements General official announcements from IDNF. Users may discuss topics but not start topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2007, 06:44 AM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy
Re: Is IE7 for IDNs here yet? Please share stats. Thks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
OK. I knuckled down and pulled out some better stats. These are uniques now, so the ratios are more accurate.

France:
Week # IE6 IE7 FF (%ages)
5-2007 48 41 11
4-2007 49 39 12
3-2007 49 39 12
2-2007 52 37 12
1-2007 51 38 11
52-2006 53 37 10
51-2006 58 32 11
50-2006 64 26 10
49-2006 77 12 11
48-2006 85 5 10
47-2006 87 2 10
46-2006 87 2 11
45-2006 88 2 10
44-2006 89 1 10

If someone wants to make a purdy graph, go ahead.

Now, looking at one of my French domains that gets regular type-in traffic, it's traffic has gone up by 130% over that time.

Not the 400% increase you would expect if the original traffic was just from Firefox users.

This suggests one of 2 things to me:

1. A not insignificant number of IE6 users had the IDN plugin installed, so were making it to the site prior to the release of IE7.

and/or

2. The special version of IE7 released by Wannadoo/Orange does NOT append .com to the end of keywords typed into the address bar, so the traffic increase is only IE7 AU upgrades.

I'm really desapointed about all the statements there.

- Based on our french portfolio (very diversified, only generic names) traffic was high before IE7 and Vista and is still at same level !

-Wannadoo/Orange are access provider and not browser provider, don't mix french telecoms and browsers

Please stop giving the illusion that IDN are flying now as it is not the case yet.

I by myself had a lot of hopes on IE7 but noted that IDNs are a much more complicated matter as to register a country name in swahili and wait for the cash.

DABSI
Old 4th February 2007, 06:55 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
I'm really desapointed about all the statements there.

- Based on our french portfolio (very diversified, only generic names) traffic was high before IE7 and Vista and is still at same level !

-Wannadoo/Orange are access provider and not browser provider, don't mix french telecoms and browsers

Please stop giving the illusion that IDN are flying now as it is not the case yet.

I by myself had a lot of hopes on IE7 but noted that IDNs are a much more complicated matter as to register a country name in swahili and wait for the cash.

DABSI
The reality is that Latin IDN which are by no means essential especially in languages like French where all accents are dropped in the Capitalised Form was always going to be a much harder sell than in Languages such as Chinese and Russian where a completely different script was evident. As in many cases Firefox already had about a third of the browser market, the upside of an IE7 launch was going to be limited. OK, Korea is beset with problems related to ActiveX, but when a country goes from 99.9% IE6 penetration to near zero in a short period of time the impact is likely to be much more deeply felt.

The ISP argument is a valid one. I don't know about Wannadoo, but some providers notably AOL have always had their own browser tool. Some ISPs will have browser tools that are adaptations of IE6. When these upgrade to later variants then you might expect a huge increase in IDN support. It is pretty certain that those already on Firefox don't use such tools, but that have been logged as IE6 may well do so.
Old 4th February 2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

> -Wannadoo/Orange are access provider and not browser provider, don't mix french telecoms and browsers

They offer a downloadable browser desktop search extension (compatitble with ie6/ie7/Firefox) on their main page, so that screws THAT theory.

http://desktopsearch.orange.fr/

If you think that tool isn't interfering with type-in traffic to IDN domains in France, I'd like to see some proof.

Last edited by Drewbert; 4th February 2007 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 4th February 2007, 07:02 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
> -Wannadoo/Orange are access provider and not browser provider, don't mix french telecoms and browsers

They offer a downloadable browser desktop search extension (compatitble with ie6/ie7/Firefox) on their main page, so that screws THAT theory.
I think you will find a lot of Pet Theories are about to get screwed, including the one that Latin IDNs are somehow worth more than Asian IDN. It would seem almost certain that the converse will prove to be the case.

Looking forward to telling Tim to shove his Sedo Pro where the sun don't shine!

I think there is also a strong likelihood that similar tools are distorting the picture in China and Japan and elsewhere!
Old 4th February 2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

> Based on our french portfolio (very diversified, only generic names) traffic was high before IE7 and Vista and is still at same level !

Which may just prove my theory that local versions of ie7 in France are not passing through type-in's to the .com of the keyword.

How about you install ie7 French version on your PC, download the orange.fr browser extension, then type "univisión" and tell us what happens?
Old 4th February 2007, 07:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
> Based on our french portfolio (very diversified, only generic names) traffic was high before IE7 and Vista and is still at same level !

Which may just prove my theory that local versions of ie7 in France are not passing through type-in's to the .com of the keyword.

How about you install ie7 French version on your PC, download the orange.fr browser extension, then type "univisión" and tell us what happens?
Could even be that the browser extensions have included a Punycode Converter for sometime!

Even the ones showing as IE6 on the log may have IDN compatibility.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 4th February 2007 at 07:23 AM..
Old 4th February 2007, 10:38 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Found a December French article with stats on IE7 and FF2.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Quote:
This suggests one of 2 things to me:

1. A not insignificant number of IE6 users had the IDN plugin installed, so were making it to the site prior to the release of IE7.

and/or

2. The special version of IE7 released by Wannadoo/Orange does NOT append .com to the end of keywords typed into the address bar, so the traffic increase is only IE7 AU upgrades.

No, i think it's SE, a significant amount of PPC comes from SE - i've already suspected as much and now the effect is showing up in terms of lower multiples.

Last edited by touchring; 4th February 2007 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 20th February 2007, 10:37 PM

alien is an unknown quantity at this point

The Golden Pig on Fire (elementally) is officially here now, but I.E. 7 isn't quite here yet? Well, I'm still on I.E. 6 la....Without having to admit it, you know I am a complete 'cyber-bumpkin'/'cyber-alien' trying to keep up here. So, are you suggesting that Arabic IDNs are currently doing the best from the list below.

Arabic
Russian
Simplified Chinese
Farsi
Thai
German
Azeri

Thanks,
alien
Old 20th February 2007, 10:48 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien
The Golden Pig on Fire (elementally) is officially here now, but I.E. 7 isn't quite here yet? Well, I'm still on I.E. 6 la....Without having to admit it, you know I am a complete 'cyber-bumpkin'/'cyber-alien' trying to keep up here. So, are you suggesting that Arabic IDNs are currently doing the best from the list below.

Arabic
Russian
Simplified Chinese
Farsi
Thai
German
Azeri

Thanks,
alien
what are your best names?

How did you pick azeri
Old 25th February 2007, 11:15 AM
Veteran

I picked Azeri to invest in as Azerbajan is going to be a very rich nation due to Oil Reserves in the Caspian Sea. The onshore resources were largely played out during the Soviet Era and they got little benefit, especially as there was no pipeline to the West. Now they can pump out through Turkey and they are in charge of ther own destiny. Turkmenistan is also interesting for similar reasons although their reserves are mainly Gas.

Azeri is also interesting because some names are strictly ASCII and still unregistered. Of course with minor languages the real attraction is in the shear quality of the names.

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?i...7121436ax4.jpg
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:13 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

I remember an old thread predicting a 200 fold increase of Japanese traffic when ie7 is wholy out and used. If that is true, I will simply make one million per year from only one of my Japanese domains.
Old 2nd April 2007, 05:32 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
I remember an old thread predicting a 200 fold increase of Japanese traffic when ie7 is wholy out and used. If that is true, I will simply make one million per year from only one of my Japanese domains.

You have to minus out SE driven traffic first before applying the 200 fold increment. You can track SE traffic using analytics.
Old 2nd April 2007, 07:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
You have to minus out SE driven traffic first before applying the 200 fold increment. You can track SE traffic using analytics.
That is entirely correct as Search Engine traffic is not dependent on browser support, however, the assumption that Traffic will merely increase in line with the user base in entirely ludicrous. Traffic is also largely content driven. At the moment the content is largely missing, but as we can see it is starting to appear in significant quantities. When most content is IDN enabled the expansion in traffic will be geometric not linear. 200 times current type-in is the kind of calculation you would expect from a primary school student.