IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2007, 03:30 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
IE7 AU for latins already in progress and analytics stats for IE7 inaccurate.

After Drewbert's stats posted on http://www.idnforums.com/forums/8930...html#post56604 , i'm now considering the possibility that IE7 AU for latins already deep in progress and analytics stats for IE7 severely inaccurate.

Here's a chart showing IE7 versus FF2 for various European countries over the period (November 27 to December 3, 2006)

Article link: http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Compare with Drew's stat for 48th and 49th week of 5% and 12% for France! :o

Quote:
France:
Week # IE6 IE7 FF (%ages)
5-2007 48 41 11
4-2007 49 39 12
3-2007 49 39 12
2-2007 52 37 12
1-2007 51 38 11
52-2006 53 37 10
51-2006 58 32 11
50-2006 64 26 10
49-2006 77 12 11
48-2006 85 5 10
47-2006 87 2 10
46-2006 87 2 11
45-2006 88 2 10
44-2006 89 1 10
Going by Drew's chart, 52% of France users are now IDN capable, up from just 11% on the 44th week - that is the last week of October.

I did a quick check on my ND stats for the same period, traffic for French names (i got 150 of them) rose about 95% over the same period (as opposed to 130% for Drew). IDN browsers increased 400% (11%->52%).

I've always speculated that about 80-85% of latin PPC comes from SE - which are browser independent, so if we assume that only 20% of PPC comes from FF, then a 400% increase in IDN browsers will bring about only a doubling of PPC income!

In case any of you want to start the smirking game (accents, or swahili, blah blah) on this thread, please consider SE origin PPC affects all IDN, so whatever that applies to French will affect Japanese or Chinese.

Last edited by touchring; 4th February 2007 at 04:08 PM..
Old 4th February 2007, 05:30 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IE7 AU for latins already in progress and analytics stats for IE7 inaccurate.

Touch - I don't understand what you mean by "IDN Browsers". As far as I know, ND doesn't breakout any category for "IDN Browser" nor give any statistics to this effect.

And sorry I'm stupid, but I don't follow your argument at all - could you rephrase?
Old 4th February 2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: IE7 AU for latins already in progress and analytics stats for IE7 inaccurate.

That 130% traffic increase I talked about was for ONE French name. I didn't check across the board.

Across the board is trickier to do because I'd have to exclude the names I've grabbed recently.
Old 4th February 2007, 05:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Touch - I don't understand what you mean by "IDN Browsers". As far as I know, ND doesn't breakout any category for "IDN Browser" nor give any statistics to this effect.

And sorry I'm stupid, but I don't follow your argument at all - could you rephrase?
Well it appears to be an MS problem not understanding what is require to resolve through the DNS. That is why we have had such an issue with the IDN.

If Tony Choy is to be believed, MS designed IE6 to resolve through a full Unicode DNS, which it probably would do if anyone ever considers building such an animal. Consequently IE6 has for several years been the only browser that does not support IDN. So if you wish to know what the statistics are for IDN supporting browsers, all you have to do effectively is deduct IE6 from 100%. I don't think anyone is interested in the traffic you might receive from IE5 or earlier!
Old 4th February 2007, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

What people need to realise is that many countries, unlike the USA have little competition in the ISP arena. Frequently, the dominant telco is the dominant ISP and well over 50% of surfers log in through them. Once they put a link on their home page to ie7, BAMM.

If that version hijacks type-in's, traffic to IDN .com's may even go DOWN as IE7 takes over from IE6/plugin.

Touch, you need to fully explain what you mean by "SE origin PPC". I can't see how that would affect type-in traffic.

Last edited by Drewbert; 4th February 2007 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 4th February 2007, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
What people need to realise is that many countries, unlike the USA have little competition in the ISP arena. Frequently, the dominant telco is the dominant ISP and well over 50% of surfers log in through them. Once they put a link on their home page to ie7, BAMM.

If that version hijacks type-in's, traffic to IDN .com's may even go DOWN as IE7 takes over from IE6/plugin.
Yes, this could well happen very quickly in some locations. All new users with an ISP will be distributed the software. Also if you ISP emails you and instructs you to upgrade, chances are you will do it! It is possible that in China the various ISP will coordinate and issue such software together!
Old 4th February 2007, 06:39 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

What we need to do is issue our own IE7 version that redirects typein's to .com (or in Bill's case, .net). MS already provides the toolkit. Just the power of getting such a version installed in a few internet cafe's would be of lasting benefit.
Old 4th February 2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Interesting concept.

I just had a play with Firefox 1.5 / Mac

If I type in a keyword, it removes the accent, then if it finds a Wikipedia page for it, it brings that up. If not, it redirects to Google results for the term.

That's not good for type-in's!
Old 4th February 2007, 07:04 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Few people on the Mac use Firefox, because the fonts look ugly compared with Safari.
Old 4th February 2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator

To distribute a custom browser effectively, we'd need it done for every language version, and have a range of native language banners done.

Then we could compete to see who could get the most downloads
Old 4th February 2007, 07:17 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
What we need to do is issue our own IE7 version that redirects typein's to .com (or in Bill's case, .net). MS already provides the toolkit. Just the power of getting such a version installed in a few internet cafe's would be of lasting benefit.
Yes, there may be some underlying strategy here (since most of the top .coms were already gone anyway) lol.
When "they" realize all the 'foreigners' have the .coms they just might redirect those typein's to .net

I already gave you a heads up about non internet users sublimally taking .com to the transliteral of .communist..."strikingly and confusingly similar" as many attorney would say. lol (Russia excluded on this speculation since they have a close transliteral for "com" in their language).
-dNg-

Last edited by bwhhisc; 4th February 2007 at 09:51 PM..
Old 4th February 2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Actually, what is happening in Fiefox 1.5/Mac is that it is automatically taking you to whatever is the first listing at Google for that search term, and taking you to Google if there are no matches.

We really do need to find out what's happening in ie7 localised editions.
Old 4th February 2007, 10:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys

IDN browsers meaning browsers that support IDN. ND doesn't provide stats for browser agent, so we need to log the stats using other methods, e.g. web server logs, analytics, etc.

Quote:
That 130% traffic increase I talked about was for ONE French name. I didn't check across the board.

Across the board is trickier to do because I'd have to exclude the names I've grabbed recently.
You can check a few more names. Yes, you need to exclude any name that is grabbed or parked earlier than August - otherwise the SE surge factor will cloud the stats.

Quote:
Touch, you need to fully explain what you mean by "SE origin PPC". I can't see how that would affect type-in traffic.

SE origin PPC - meaning all PPC or adsense earnings that do not come from type-ins on the browser URL address bar.

Quote:
Actually, what is happening in Fiefox 1.5/Mac is that it is automatically taking you to whatever is the first listing at Google for that search term, and taking you to Google if there are no matches.

Yes, Google pays FF i think to do that. Anyway, redirection to search engine is the general practice, i've not seen any browser or plugin that appends .com - doesn't make money and doesn't make sense.

Last edited by touchring; 4th February 2007 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 4th February 2007, 11:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Yes, Google pays FF i think to do that. Anyway, redirection to search engine is the general practice, i've not seen any browser or plugin that appends .com - doesn't make money and doesn't make sense.
Makes perfect sense from an interface point of view, and this is a feature many endusers request, because it makes it easier for them to go to they site they want.

If you want search, you type in a search box. If you want a domain, you type in the address box, where domains go.

IE used to have this as standard too several versions ago, as this is the default behavior that makes sense. Apple's Safari and Opera are the two broswers that continue this.
Old 4th February 2007, 11:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Makes perfect sense from an interface point of view, and this is a feature many endusers request, because it makes it easier for them to go to they site they want.

If you want search, you type in a search box. If you want a domain, you type in the address box, where domains go.

IE used to have this as standard too several versions ago, as this is the default behavior that makes sense. Apple's Safari and Opera are the two broswers that continue this.

Do u mean that safari and opera will append .com?
Old 5th February 2007, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Safari certainly does.

Only problem is, if you type in a 2 word phrase, they puts an HTML encoded space in there (%20) and then pop the .com on the end.

Which is silly, considering % is a banned character in DNS and domain names aren't supposed to be HTML encoded

Would have been nice if IDN had allowed the use of a % character.
Old 5th February 2007, 01:22 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Safari certainly does.

Only problem is, if you type in a 2 word phrase, they puts an HTML encoded space in there (%20) and then pop the .com on the end.

Which is silly, considering % is a banned character in DNS and domain names aren't supposed to be HTML encoded

Would have been nice if IDN had allowed the use of a % character.
It is worth reporting this bug to Apple.

Yes. Safari and Opera send you to the .com upon pressing enter/return. This is the source of the majority of Russian traffic, since Opera is widespread. This is the reason some idners here are promoting Opera.
Old 5th February 2007, 01:28 AM
Administrator

I think I tried reporting it to one of the guys doing the HTML engine, but he didn't seem to grasp the situation, IIRC.
Old 5th February 2007, 05:10 AM
Veteran

Thumbs up Re: IE7 AU for latins already in progress and analytics stats for IE7 inaccurate.

Cool for Opera to do that, but i think we shouldn't assume that they would do this forever - when Google will pay millions to browser makers to default to their search engine.

Btw, i was working out French multiplier based on Drewbert's web server data, and my own French PPC for about 150 names parked before August, all dictionary generics, on a week basis (instead of 30 days).

Some interesting results:

Week 44, 06:

44-2006 89 1 10
Total FF/IE7 ratio: 11%

PPC Views CTR Avg PPC
100 (index) 222 % 39.43 US$ 0.08

Week 5, 07:

5-2007 48 41 11
Total FF/IE7 ratio: 52%

PPC Views CTR Avg PPC
183 405 % 39.32 US$ 0.08

From week 44, 06 to week 5, 07, FF/IE7 ratio increased by 472%, but views increased only by 83%.

If we assume that 18% of PPC views come from natural type-in, then a 472% increase on that 18% part will result in a 85% increase on total views (SE+type-in).

Therefore i estimate that my PPC traffic is about 17-18% type-ins, and my FF/IE7 Multiplier should be [ (100%/11%) * 0.18 ] + 1 = 2.63.

Say, if i'm earning $300 a month from my French generics in the last week of October, i should expect 2.63 *$300 = $789 on full market penetration of FF and IE7.

Based on 11% FF/IE7 marketshare, the multiplier is only 2.63 for French for my case!! It would be much lower for Spanish and German since their FF ratio is higher.

Now the golden question. What's the FF marketshare for japanese and chinese?

Those of you with japanese websites will already know the answer, for those of us still looking for an answer, we should be able to work out the real multiplier by June, assuming that AU comes by April, judging by the speed of takeup in Europe.

Last edited by touchring; 5th February 2007 at 05:42 AM..
Old 5th February 2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...tsrc=kc_top%20

"French students to get open-source software on USB key
High school students likely to get Firefox 2 Web browser, Thunderbird e-mail client and other software"

>Now the golden question. What's the FF marketshare for japanese and chinese?

Based on fairly solid traffic, my guess for China is...

IE6 95.15%
IE7 3.12%
Firefox 1.2%
Safari 0.28%
Opera 0.26%

Last edited by Drewbert; 5th February 2007 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost