IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Special builds of ie7 Chinese Simpl, Japanese etc required urgently

Well, we've missed the boat assuring type-in's from latin languages due to the standard ie7 redirecting keywords typed into the URL bar being redirected to live.com search.

But ie7 isn't in AU mode in China, Japan etc yet.

So we need someone to do a custom build of ie7 for each of the non-latin countries that BY DEFAULT appends .com to a keyword and tries to go to the website.

Once built, we need to get it out there in the wild, by fair means or foul (cough hack) so that as many native users download it before AU kicks in.

Getting domainers in each of those countries to help distribution would be good (putting it on download.com equivalents etc).

I get a fair bit of chinese traffic, so will be able to pop up a download window whenever an ie6 user from China visits one of my sites.

I'm busy at the moment building an extension for Firefox that stops keywords going to Google.

Can someone please volunteer to do these custom builds URGENTLY.
Old 7th February 2007, 08:12 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Special builds of ie7 Chinese Simpl, Japanese etc required urgently

You could just recompile FireFox and release a fork, as well, right, since it is open source?

You should offer some $$$ for Chinese programmers to do IE7. It looks like a quick job.
Old 7th February 2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

And if you don't think type-in's are leaking to live.com take a look at the 6 month "page views" graph at http://alexa.com/data/details/traffi...s?url=live.com

And see if you can spot where MS switched on AU for ie7
Old 7th February 2007, 08:15 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I don't doubt it.
Old 7th February 2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
You could just recompile FireFox and release a fork, right?
Yeah but then you have to convince people to dl your version instead of the one they have already. And you have to maintain it.

I'm going to offer the FF extension on the grounds of better privacy.

Currently people who type in a keyword in firefox get taken via google (through their "I'm feeling lucky" option, to the #1 listing at google for that term. Most people don't even know what's going on. Google, of course, tracks all this and logs it, and we know how happy they are to turn over log files to various govt agencies around the globe, usually without a court order.

My extension will grab the keyword, strip out any illegal characters (%$+ etc), tack .com on the end, and then FireFox won't hijack it to google.

I'll be offering it to current Firefox users via browser detection on all my sites - I've had 88000 people D/L FF via buttons on them, so now they'll be offer the extension too. Hopefully lots of domainers (IDN and ASCII) will jump on board with it, as it will mean increased traffic for EVERYONE.

German domainers especially should be keen.
Old 7th February 2007, 08:26 PM
Veteran

IE7 supports "addons" like FireFox does. If you also create it for IE7, I'll feature you on http://ie7addons.com/

But it would be helpful to have a special release of IE7 as well.
Old 7th February 2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Cool. Thanks.

Yeah, we need someone to step up to the plate and bat out a custom version URGENTLY.
Old 7th February 2007, 11:24 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

A very clever idea! I can share paying part of the cost, and also advertise the custom version on all my sites too.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 7th February 2007, 11:32 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

i cant help technically, but i'll throw some funding at it and point all my Asian traffic at it if it will help
Old 8th February 2007, 03:43 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

That explains why IE7 doesn't allow the ext to be added without switching keys - they want to force more users to their live.com!!

Luckily, IE7 is screwed up and FF is still gaining marketshare.

But whatever it is, FF and IE are bent on taking as much type-in traffic as they can, short of hijacking type-ins for the Domains w/ext themselves!!

For as long as the PPC model thrives, domainers have to live with such monopoly tactics. I think we shall see more tricks in the future, so sit tight!

Last edited by touchring; 8th February 2007 at 04:00 AM..
Old 8th February 2007, 10:20 PM
Veteran

Exactly.
Old 8th February 2007, 10:25 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

1st in MSN, Google and 3rd and 4th in Yahoo... That was quick!
Old 8th February 2007, 10:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
1st in MSN, Google and 3rd and 4th in Yahoo... That was quick!
Not so quick. I started in August. The real win is being first in live.com
Old 9th February 2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Is there an API for ie7-addons ?