IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2007, 08:42 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Alright who's site is this?

I googled "IDN" to look through the news section and came across an add for this.

Confused about IDNs?
This report makes sense of
multilingual domain names.
www.globalbydesign.com/briefs

Anyways it sent me here

http://www.globalbydesign.com/briefs/

And this is the product or "ebook" they are selling.

Quote:
Internationalized domain names (IDNs) are coming: Here's what you need to know
ICANN recently announced that it will have a complete IDN solution in place by the end of 2007. This report will focus on the details, explaining what IDNs are, why they are so challenging and fraught with risk, and why companies cannot afford to ignore them. It also includes technical insights from an industry expert and well as insights from a domain name registrar and several executives who have already purchased IDNs

The real kicker is it's 12 pages in PDF and it costs $95 dollars.

Why didn't I think of this? Hm....
Old 13th February 2007, 09:09 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Re: Alright who's site is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
I googled "IDN" to look through the news section and came across an add for this.

Confused about IDNs?
This report makes sense of
multilingual domain names.
www.globalbydesign.com/briefs

Anyways it sent me here

http://www.globalbydesign.com/briefs/

And this is the product or "ebook" they are selling.

The real kicker is it's 12 pages in PDF and it costs $95 dollars.

Why didn't I think of this? Hm....
Hmm thanks for posting this , I guess they have some competition coming Now , http://IDNebook.com will have to launch a ad campaign
Old 13th February 2007, 09:18 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Hmm thanks for posting this , I guess they have some competition coming Now , http://IDNebook.com will have to launch a ad campaign
Yeah I'm just wondering about this quote.

Quote:
It also includes technical insights from an industry expert
Who's the industry expert with the technical insights?
Old 13th February 2007, 09:21 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Well, the site is registered to a John Yunker with an email at bytelevel.com, which is Byte Level Research: http://bytelevel.com/about/

Here is a link to some articles he's written, he appears to be into studying globalization of the Internet:

http://goingglobal.corante.com/

He's also written a book, published by New Riders Press, part of Peachpit Press, who seem to publish tech-centric books and manuals:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Borders.../dp/0735712085

Aside from that, I don't know why his ebook is so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Yeah I'm just wondering about this quote.

Who's the industry expert with the technical insights?
My guess is it's the guy who wrote the book...

Last edited by domainstosell; 13th February 2007 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13th February 2007, 09:35 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Speaking of wuo's site is this:

http://www.value-domain.com/

This dude appears to be in the domain leasing business if I understood it correctly.

--
jacksonm
Old 13th February 2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Speaking of wuo's site is this:

This dude appears to be in the domain leasing business if I understood it correctly.

--
jacksonm
It's a japanese registrar.
Old 14th February 2007, 03:21 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm

That is the funniest thing I have read on this forum in a while. You are right though. Value Domain has registered a lot of IDNs for themselves.
Old 14th February 2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
Aside from that, I don't know why his ebook is so expensive?
He's gunning for the corporate customer, who is used to paying for everything. $95 for a report is petty cash.
Old 14th February 2007, 05:25 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

There is a course work of Domaining Economics (Bachelor degree) in one of the top Chinese University, the People's University in Beijing. This kind of books (eBook or not) can be used as textbook for the course.

Many here can produce perhaps better books packed with more comprehensive information and more practical knowledge. The eBook under discussion is perhaps a lousy summary of what happened and discussed in this forum in the past.
Old 14th February 2007, 08:54 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

QUOTE: "why they are so challenging and fraught with risk"

Sounds like this book may have been written quite a while ago.
Old 14th February 2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
QUOTE: "why they are so challenging and fraught with risk"

Sounds like this book may have been written quite a while ago.
Nah, just a tactic to scare you into buying his book. Reading between the lines that quote says to me: "You'll probably end up registering the wrong translation dumbass; unless you buy my book."