IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2007, 08:50 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
"Fake" -IDN - action from Sedo

Finally

http://i9.tinypic.com/2ngtphc.jpg

And so simple!
Old 15th February 2007, 09:04 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Fake" -IDN - action from Sedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot
Finally

http://i9.tinypic.com/2ngtphc.jpg

And so simple!
The issue is Sedo allowing these fakes to be put up for sale in the first place. Because now, it looks like Sedo are making "IDN" synonomous with "fake" and hurting the reputation of IDNs. Or as Sedo still quaintly calls them, "Multi-lingual domains".
Old 15th February 2007, 09:21 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

This activity will come back to damage the reputation of IDNs. No question in my mind.
Old 15th February 2007, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Or perhaps SEDO will be seen for what they are!
Old 15th February 2007, 11:54 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
The issue is Sedo allowing these fakes to be put up for sale in the first place. Because now, it looks like Sedo are making "IDN" synonomous with "fake" and hurting the reputation of IDNs. Or as Sedo still quaintly calls them, "Multi-lingual domains".

Very true but at least they have made a start and I am sure there are people here who will be able to put IDN's on the pedestal they deserve in the not too distant future.

We all know where they are going and from what I have seen it has always been an uphill struggle so what's new?

Tis the old story, a couple of big sales well publiciz/sed and off they go. Already seeing increased interest at Snap - it's going to happen -when ?? ---- ?
Old 15th February 2007, 12:00 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Best thing is to be proactive.
Take 5 minutes and write a letter to SEDO...they need to get enough mail about this to pay attention.

Continue to post on the various forums. There is a SEDO guy on DNF who does respond, I have written
him about this and he says it is being addressed by SEDO.

Most of the SEDO phishing domain sales have not gone thru. I think their "tag" should say IDN novelty domain,
or IDN mixed script domain if they allow them to be sold.
Old 15th February 2007, 12:12 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Best thing is to be proactive.
Take 5 minutes and write a letter to SEDO...they need to get enough mail about this to pay attention.

Continue to post on the various forums. There is a SEDO guy on DNF who does respond, I have written
him about this and he says it is being addressed by SEDO.

Most of the SEDO phishing domain sales have not gone thru. I think their "tag" should say IDN novelty domain,
or IDN mixed script domain if they allow them to be sold.
I emailed with their CEO yesterday. I said:

-------
I am just wondering why you guys allow scam IDN domains to be auctioned at
Sedo:

http://www.sedo.co.uk/auction/auctio...ction_id=5538&
tracked=&partnerid=&session=6964%2339a8cfd5744457ebdc2872e6f2896f89

"domaín.com" is not a word at all, in any language .... its just some
sleazebag trying to scam everyone. The same guy I believe has put up lots of
scam domains.

I know you care about your corporate reputation so please, do something
about these scam IDNs. Allowing them to be auctioned off not only harms SEDO but also the entire IDN "movement".

It seems to be that SEDO should be at the forefront of the IDN "thing", but
for whatever reason, it isn't. You ignore fantastic Asian domains (even one
of your "support" people telling me "Asian domains can't be
transferred") but you continue to allow scammy "European-based" IDNs to be
sold. Surely with your multi-lingual workforce there is someone at Sedo that
realizes the scam is happening as we speak? Or don't you guys care anymore
as long as you make the sales commission?
--------

And Tim replied:

-------
Of course we do care, and this is why we have this warning
'Important Notice: This is a Multi-Lingual (IDN) Domain"

Regarding Asian domains: it's true that you currently can't list them for
sale, but that's a technical issue we're working on, not a lack of
comittment - I fully agree with you that those names are awesome!
Personally, I am a big believer in IDN, as I have repeatedly stated at
various presentations at TRAFFIC, Domainfest and others.
-------

So he completely ignored what I said about the fact the domains are scams. I wrote back to him, but he didn't reply again.... so yes, Sedo are quite well aware of these domains and what they are, but for whatever reason, they are choosing to allow them to be sold. You be the $ole judge of that.
Old 15th February 2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

I think it has to do with manageability, filter out one and you máke yourself liable íf you fail to identify a name as a phishing domain. Something like, filter out one and you have to filter out all of them because it will take the responsibility away from the buyer.

Last edited by bramiozo; 15th February 2007 at 03:19 PM..
Old 15th February 2007, 03:04 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

The ideal would be to do something like language tag.

In other words the seller has to say which language it is in. The system then checks to see if the characters fall within the limited character set for that language which in this case all the funny I's don't. If the there is not a complete match between the characters given and those for the language set then the system would kick it off.

Judging by the speed with which they have managed to support non-Latin characters, Sedo should have this up and running easily within the next 50 years or so.
Old 15th February 2007, 03:12 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Judging by the speed with which they have managed to support non-Latin characters, Sedo should have this up and running easily within the next 50 years or so.
That means: Sedo is synonymous to Incompetence.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 15th February 2007, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
That means: Sedo is synonymous to Incompetence.
Putting it tactfully, Yes!
Old 15th February 2007, 03:26 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Putting it tactfully, Yes!
I like the way you describe things. Like an artist!

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 15th February 2007, 03:35 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't we submit Sedo's name to the anti-fraud or internet security unit of the FBI for trafficking in phishing domains?
Old 15th February 2007, 03:37 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

they would get rid of japanese script domains too. they don't even know middle east languages.
Old 15th February 2007, 03:43 PM
Veteran

Hopefully this will do significant damage to Sedo's business to the point where Senior Management emerge from their hibernatory stupor and attempt to manage that situation. At that point they will either fuck up so big that they loose everyones confidence or there is a remote possibility that the problem would actually get sorted. They have the money to be able to do this, all they seem to lack is the intellect and the resolve.
Old 15th February 2007, 04:03 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

If they had a system whereby you have to enter the domain in ASCII characters how hard would it be for their system to flag all domains beginning with "xn--"??

How many domains do you know that start with xn-- ...... ??

Then you automatically get taken to a page where you have to enter the unicode, translation etc

Its not brain surgery ...
Old 15th February 2007, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Just goes to show how badly they are screwing up everyones heads!

Why should you need to input the Unicode if you have already input the Punycode.

What you should be asked to do next is to select a language and the Unicode that has either been input or generated should be automatically checked against the limited character sets for the language you have selected. If one of the characters is out of range then the whole submission should be rejected.
Old 15th February 2007, 05:31 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Well Sedo just put out their newsletter and you can put your comments here

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.ph...11#post1087211
Old 15th February 2007, 08:48 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Well, for what it's worth, I wrote a new article about this on my site: IDNcyclopedia.com/sedo.html.

I may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but these sales have really touched a nerve with me. Hopefully we can inundate Sedo with a "bad press" landslide and force their hand to be more proactive.

Although them pissing off domainers isn't anything new, so they may not do anything...
Old 15th February 2007, 09:06 PM

xxbossmanxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xxbossmanxx Send a message via MSN to xxbossmanxx Send a message via Skype™ to xxbossmanxx

I love how they are "working on it" Give me a frikken break. They have the cash from one domain sale to pay the proper coders to fix all problems within days. Christ, I am one guy and I could have all the problems resolved in no time.