IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2006, 10:38 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Somebody stop me!

Inspired by Edwin and Olney's recent lists, I went on a shopping spree tonight and regged another 30 .coms and .nets. Somebody stop me!

Among the standouts - I was amazed that バリ.com "Bali" (ovt 36115) was available. バリ島 is the more common search but with an overture of 54000 the difference is not so great.

In a weird inverse of that situation, ハワイ島.com "Hawaii" was available with (ovt 22K) compared to ハワイ.com with 10x that overture. But guys, it's all still HAWAII!!!

Continuing my island theme was グアム旅行.com "Guam Trip" with 29K overture.

Finally in a cold weather departure I was surprised to snag
ヒマラヤ.com "Himalayas" with 30K overture.

All of these have lots of travel company bids on overture. Good to see that there are still some good .com left if you sift through the dirt long enough.
Old 14th February 2006, 12:43 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
JP OVT does not translate into clicks/revenue. I tend to assess domains based on the generic value of the keyword.
Old 14th February 2006, 02:31 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=rhys] Somebody stop me! [QUOTE=rhys]

It's Valentines Day here in the states, the perfect day for your honey to dish out the discipline you obviously need for you wanton reg'in actions. LOL
Old 14th February 2006, 02:34 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
バリ was still available?!!

Great find.

Edit:

I just checked ブータン (7k) and that's taken. Makes the バリ and ヒマラヤ finds even better!

Last edited by gammascalper; 14th February 2006 at 02:44 PM..
Old 14th February 2006, 02:35 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
JP OVT does not translate into clicks/revenue. I tend to assess domains based on the generic value of the keyword.
My understanding is that none of these IDN's are translating into any traffic at the moment. I would be interested in knowing how you came to this conclusion? I figure you must know something that I would be interested in hearing about.
Old 14th February 2006, 02:36 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
My understanding is that none of these IDN's are translating into any traffic at the moment. I would be interested in knowing how you came to this conclusion? I figure you must know something that I would be interested in hearing about.
I find such proclamations dubious. I'll leave it at that.
Old 14th February 2006, 02:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
It might be argued that traffic is not commercially or statistically signficant as yet, but it is definitely there and can be seen to be related to Keyword Quality rather than just random hits generated by the system in some way. I have been reparking my domains at Nameserver today and there is definitely action on Russian, Arabic and Thai.
Old 14th February 2006, 03:07 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
It might be argued that traffic is not commercially or statistically signficant as yet, but it is definitely there and can be seen to be related to Keyword Quality rather than just random hits generated by the system in some way. I have been reparking my domains at Nameserver today and there is definitely action on Russian, Arabic and Thai.
You mean Namedrive? Yes, my Arabic domains are receiving 1000+ visitors a month at Namedrive.
Old 14th February 2006, 03:07 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
I don't understand your comment either Gamma so I shall endeavor to make myself more clear.

I know from my own experience that the traffic from my own porfolio at the moment is minimal. There is some granted but it certainly isn't enough yet for me to determine if the domains that are getting type-ins are just good names or if their OVT value is playing some factor. Touchring mentioned that he dismisses OVT outright as he feels it has no value whatsoever. As I am eager to learn I am very curious to know how he came to this conclusion. Is it from his experience with Latin names? Does he have a large German porfolio that is getting enough traffic to tell? Since I respect his opinion I am very interested in finding out more.

I am not a Native speaker of anything but English and it is often difficult for me to determine what a native speaker would consider a naturally good name. There are terms and phrases in every language that are in common use that all make good names. They don't translate into other languages in many cases however. As a result I have had to rely on OVT to give me guidance and evaluate it after that. I don't expect a direct translation between OVT and type ins but I was hoping for enough correlation to make it a useful tool.
Old 14th February 2006, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
You mean Namedrive? Yes, my Arabic domains are receiving 1000+ visitors a month at Namedrive.
Yes, I am going crackers trying to manage this Portfolio at the moment.

Are you getting any income from Namedrive on Arabic?
Old 14th February 2006, 03:17 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Yes, I am going crackers trying to manage this Portfolio at the moment.

Are you getting any income from Namedrive on Arabic?
Not much, but about $10-$20 a month. Mostly 2 or 3 cent clicks since they are English ads.
Old 14th February 2006, 03:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand your comment either Gamma so I shall endeavor to make myself more clear.

I know from my own experience that the traffic from my own porfolio at the moment is minimal. There is some granted but it certainly isn't enough yet for me to determine if the domains that are getting type-ins are just good names or if their OVT value is playing some factor. Touchring mentioned that he dismisses OVT outright as he feels it has no value whatsoever. As I am eager to learn I am very curious to know how he came to this conclusion. Is it from his experience with Latin names? Does he have a large German porfolio that is getting enough traffic to tell? Since I respect his opinion I am very interested in finding out more.

I am not a Native speaker of anything but English and it is often difficult for me to determine what a native speaker would consider a naturally good name. There are terms and phrases in every language that are in common use that all make good names. They don't translate into other languages in many cases however. As a result I have had to rely on OVT to give me guidance and evaluate it after that. I don't expect a direct translation between OVT and type ins but I was hoping for enough correlation to make it a useful tool.
Don't worry I don't speak any of the languages that I invest in.

Overture is of limited value in many languages at the moment. It is extremely useful in Japan, but only if you use the local Overture Tool.

Wordstats is a 100 times more useful in Russian. In Chinese, at the moment I am relying on a mixture of 3721.com and incidences of Google adwords on Google.cn. Each market is different, often you can only go by your intuition and the Google Scores.

You need to remember a Copper Bottomed investment is one that pays a couple of percentage points over the inflation rate. If you want the best returns it is necessary to higher levels of risk. It is a matter of reconciling your Greed with your Fear!
Old 14th February 2006, 03:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Whoops -- I should've quoted touchring to make my comment more clear.

In time I think we'll find that traffic to IDN are positively correlated to frequency of searches and that type-in habits are the same around the world without regard to character set or language.

I'm not looking to sell my names to an end-user where realized values seem to be highest. I'm interested in monetizing the traffic, hence my reliance on variables that I deem to be important in gauging traffic. i.e. frequency of searches, brevity of keywords, and general bid amounts.

Everyone knows that there is little or no traffic to Japanese IDN right now. The question is, when IE7 is the established browser version, will there still be little or no traffic to IDN?
Old 14th February 2006, 03:52 PM
Veteran

I practice what i said, recent 2 weeks, i've thrown away the OVT criteria and went straight for the keyword - this way i limit myself to higher quality names, and reduce wastage.

Of course, i still use OVT, but only as a "check" to ensure that the term is valid/main and in the correct "tense" or "plural/singular" form.

Last edited by touchring; 14th February 2006 at 03:54 PM..
Old 14th February 2006, 03:56 PM
Veteran

The prices are sure nutty for ASCII domains like brown.com with moderate ovt.

This has got to be end-game valuations!
Old 14th February 2006, 04:00 PM
Veteran

Brown might a some company's name, etc.

Anyone of you seen Laura Snow's domains - she (or whatever) started registering probably without using OVT, and she goes for keywords.

Ever since i started using the keyword oriented approach, i've seen her WHOIS address many times when i checked who got the .com.
Old 14th February 2006, 04:03 PM
Veteran

Yes, brown may be getting type-ins for UPS or the NFL team.
Old 14th February 2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Yes ladies and gent, in the end it's the general keywords that pack the punch, see it like this; the best name in the world is not sought after on search engines, people just type it in .
Old 14th February 2006, 04:21 PM

Thank you very much for the Information guys. This is helpful. When I first started registering IDN's tools like Overture didn't exist. Dictionaries often provided several different variations for specific terms and it was difficult to determine which was the most widely used. Often one had to just throw the mud at the wall and hope for the best. One of the best indications I had of a good name was who had registered the .net or .org. (you could get .org from the same source back then) If someone in Japan had registered either it was very exciting! Heck I was usually pleased if someone with even an Asian sounding name had registered the .net or .org. As you can see this method is crude at best so all these new tools are very welcome.

I understand Touchring's comment better now. Focussing on the best of keywords certainly can't go wrong. Often the root keywords have lower OVT scores than longer terms containing them with higher OVT. In many cases the root keyword seems like a better candidate for type ins.
Old 14th February 2006, 04:22 PM
Veteran

OVT is biaised because people tend to type (more) to get a more accurate search result. This is something that everyone here would understand.