IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/94-idn-forum-members-introduce-yourself.html)

Olney 23rd October 2005 06:04 AM

IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
I thought maybe I should put up a sticky thread so you guys can introduce yourself & possibly put up some of your gems...
Also you can put how ya found the site (for us) & maybe other boards you frequent. This way others can check credentials. (optional)



We basically target the Japanese market. I'm bilingual Japanese & English living in Tokyo, Japan. Most of our IDNs were registered from drops. Some people are going to be pissed 2 years from now.

Some of our gems include

アニメ.com : Anime in Japanese 286774OVT September 2005. This is the actually term Anime Japanese for Animation (waited patiently 3 weeks for this baby to drop)
アダルトビデオ.com : Adult Video in Japanese 970148OVT September 2005
テレビゲーム.com : TV Game in Japanese 748789 OTV September 2005. Most common term for console type games like Nintendo, Playstation etc.
パソコンゲーム.com : Computer Game : (pronounciation is Pasokon game short for personal computer game) 134312 OTV September 2005 not the only way to say PC game but one of the top terms.
ハンゲーム.com : HanGame Japanese 1,385,336 OVT Sept 2005 actually I'm a bit puzzled at first I thought that this was a translation for hand held games but it's not. There is a hangame.com but I use a Mac & can't access it.


have fun guys

sarcle 23rd October 2005 09:39 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
I'm an IDN newbie. I was just getting into Idn's when Dwrixon put up and appraisal thread for one of his Idn's. Well there was a long drawn out debate mostly by Idn haters. Anyways he put up link to your site and I followed. I know this site is in the beginning stage and am glad to be here and try my best to contribute.

My favorite Idn sector would be Japanese domains.
My don't really have a favorite genre. Whatever has hot ovt numbers.

This pair is probably my favorite right now. It doesn't have the greatest Ovt numbers but the name is smokin'

Marijuana (Japanese)
xn--bck5d5a9ayd.com (マリファナ.com)
xn--bck5d5a9ayd.net (マリファナ.net)

zfreud 27th October 2005 03:07 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Check out:

http://itp.ne.jp/

Note the title: iタウンページ as in "itownpages"

Owned by Nippon Telegraph and Telephone...who also own タウンページ.jp






sarcle 27th October 2005 03:36 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
welcome...zfreud...and nice grab....

IDNer 16th November 2005 11:53 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hello everybody ~

I'm a Chinese in Taiwan. I'm pretty new on IDN field - and my English is poor...

I used to have a [ 成人網.com ] (means ADULT SITE in Chinese) about 3 years ago, but no more...

I'd like to learn much more about the IDNs domain from the IDNer here...

Rubber Duck 16th November 2005 01:09 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hi,

That's absolutely brilliant to have someone on the site who is based in the Far East and is a Chinese Speaker.

Any help I can personally offer you, don't hesitate to email me.

Never know you might be able to broker a few names for me. We have somewhere around 1000 Chinese IDN and have already sold six for a total of $6,250, but I am sure things will pick up when IE 7.0 is launched.

Perhaps you could advise on how many people in Taiwan user Firefox browser and whether anyone over there has heard about IDN Pluggins.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

DavyBUK 2nd January 2006 10:16 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hello all

I thought I would use this thread to say hello....Happy New year to all by the way !

I'm David and I'm from the UK. I am new to IDN's and this site and have spent a couple of days looking around and registering my first few IDN's. It's a great resource with lots of interesting threads and I'm looking forward to logging in more over the coming weeks.

David

Rubber Duck 2nd January 2006 10:19 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyBUK
Hello all

I thought I would use this thread to say hello....Happy New year to all by the way !

I'm David and I'm from the UK. I am new to IDN's and this site and have spent a couple of days looking around and registering my first few IDN's. It's a great resource with lots of interesting threads and I'm looking forward to logging in more over the coming weeks.

David

Welcome

I am David and I am from the UK!

Olney 3rd January 2006 01:00 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Two Daves from the UK....
We got our first record...
Hey welcome aboard...

polin 3rd January 2006 09:56 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hi all,
I'm a Taiwanese.I found this forum from idnclub.com.
IDN Forums is really a great place to talk about IDN.

I now target the Chinese IDN.
Some of my favorite Chinese IDN:
資訊.net (Information)
招商.net (Invest)
筆記型電腦.com (Laptop)
美腿.com (Sexy Leg)

Polin

gammascalper 3rd January 2006 04:30 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hi folks

I'm Sal between HK and San Francisco.

I registered my first IDN in September 2005. I'm now counting over 300!

Thanks to all who helped. You know who you are.

I'm looking forward to learning and contributing much more.

drbiohealth 5th January 2006 06:38 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hi Guys,

I am a starter on IDNs due primarily to the wake-up call from David...:-). How far IDNs actually go remains to be seen, still I like them logically so am into all this.

David seems to be a highly knowledgable guy and I think he should take a step futher and address DN conference in order to popularise IDNs more.

I am confined to indian domains as of now, but I feel there is more "cream" in the chinese and japanese names though they are becoming scarce by the day.

Hope to learn and contribute on this forum.

Hope to see this forum blossum with time.

Why didn't you guys choose VBulletin?

Raj

bwhhisc 6th January 2006 12:09 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hi all- I am Bill Winans, live on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. I have enjoyed moving from "traditional" .coms and .nets to IDN's, and have really enjoyed learning about languages and cultures. So far IDN's have been a bit of a big mind-boggling treasure hunt.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to provide answers and more...I am glad to see so many new faces coming into the forum. How about a pool to guess how many IDNForum members there will be by start of 2007!

Rubber Duck 6th January 2006 12:12 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Hi all- I am Bill Winans, live on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. I have enjoyed moving from "traditional" .coms and .nets to IDN's, and have really enjoyed learning about languages and cultures. So far IDN's have been a bit of a big mind-boggling treasure hunt.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to provide answers and more...I am glad to see so many new faces coming into the forum. How about a pool to guess how many IDNForum members there will be by start of 2007!

Probably loads, but I think one or two of us will be running our private boards by then!

Dave

bwhhisc 6th January 2006 12:21 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
OK- I am going to start off and say 500...

idn 6th January 2006 07:44 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hello!

I signed up a little while back, but my activity has been slim, hmmm, actually none. But it is 2006, so time to change!

Guess I'll give a quick run through of some of my idns.

IDNAPPRAISAL.com
IDNAPPRAISER.com anybody want to try and develop them? The first paid idn appraisal service! ha ha
IDNAPPRAISE.com

Here are a few examples of the horrible, the bad, the possibly good, the bandwagon, the great and the fun!

HORRIBLE

hold’em.com
texashold’em.com
texasholdʼem.com
holdʼem.com
holdʼem.net
texasholdʼem.net

BAD

↑.com
←.com
→.com Ah, the dreams I once had of selling these to Mapquest!! :)
↓.com


POSSIBLY GOOD

slovenščina.com
bokmål.com
lietuvių.com all are languages
български.com
हिन्दी.com (Hindi)


BANDWAGON

sëx.com


AND THE GREAT! :)

Songs in Arabic

Overture 36,079

اغاني.com w/extension 54
اغاني.net


and for fun...☻.com It is a black smiley


Look forward to the forum!

Mark

drbiohealth 6th January 2006 02:44 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
This IDN stuff is very much akin to stock markets, where the intelligent investors get in when a good stock lies low. The horde follows in bulk when the stock gets highlighted. Well, those who are sitting on 1000s of prime IDNs from 2001 would reap very rich rewards. Let's see what happens!

Rubber Duck 6th January 2006 03:07 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by drbiohealth
This IDN stuff is very much akin to stock markets, where the intelligent investors get in when a good stock lies low. The horde follows in bulk when the stock gets highlighted. Well, those who are sitting on 1000s of prime IDNs from 2001 would reap very rich rewards. Let's see what happens!

Yes it is not quite as simple as that. IDNs were launched in 2001 but varrious reasons only dot net and dot com in Far East Languages those with Chinese Characters could be registered along with Latin Characters and Novelties.

Gradually more and more ccTLDs have rolled out their own versions, most of them limited to local scripts. Unicode for other languages has also gradually come on stream. So have such things as Overture and Search Indexing. Actually, Overture was recognising IDN in some languages about a year before Yahoo was indexed for search!

The initial landrush in some Indian Languages is not yet underway. Other Languages such as Arabic, Russian and Thai are at at an Intermediate phase. The opportunities have been piecemeal as more and more information and functionality has become available.

Those that have really done the best perhaps were those that realised by 2004 due to the disillusionment, the instransigence of Network Solutions and the confusion caused by a migration of the encodement used, many of the original registrations were dropping Those were then picked up at $7 a name as opposed to 3 figure sums that is has now cost the original investors. Of course many of the original names didn't drop.

The only thing that is certain is that Land Rush in the biggest prizes of all are coming to an end Japanese and Chinese are the richest prizes, with Russian and Arabic not far behind. When long-time sceptics like Edwin are filling their boots, you know that the writing is on the wall!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

bramiozo 6th January 2006 03:29 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Ah well, why not..

I am Bram van Es, I am 24 year old graduate student at the aerospace engineering faculty of the Delft University of Technology, I've been in domaining since may 2003, I regged my first IDN's somewhere in 2004.

You ain't getting more info :P

bramiozo 6th January 2006 03:32 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

David seems to be a highly knowledgable guy and I think he should take a step futher and address DN conference in order to popularise IDNs more.
I don't want to bug you or anything but I to think you should go :D .

Rubber Duck 6th January 2006 03:33 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bramiozo
Ah well, why not..

I am Bram van Es, I am 24 year old graduate student at the aerospace engineering faculty of the Delft University of Technology, I've been in domaining since may 2003, I regged my first IDN's somewhere in 2004.

You ain't getting more info :P

Blimey! You are younger than my girl friend! When I graduated you weren't even born.


bramiozo 6th January 2006 04:47 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

You are younger than my girl friend! When I graduated you weren't even born.
Lucky dog ;)

sevent 6th January 2006 05:55 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hi all,

I only have a handfull of IDN names. Here they are:

鮭.com
евро.com
媚.com
botón.com
伞.com
할.com
村.com
헉.com
妥.com
às.com
são.com

I do own a large collection of numeric names (ie 27.com, 918.com) which seem to be very popular in Asian countries.

You can always email me at http://www.sigtools.com/SIGsevent@qu...rkgreen-no.png

Cheers all!

Rubber Duck 6th January 2006 05:59 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevent
Hi all,

I only have a handfull of IDN names. Here they are:

鮭.com
евро.com
媚.com
botón.com
伞.com
할.com
村.com
헉.com
妥.com
às.com
são.com

I do own a large collection of numeric names (ie 27.com, 918.com) which seem to be very popular in Asian countries.

You can always email me at http://www.sigtools.com/SIGsevent@qu...rkgreen-no.png

Cheers all!

The numberic ones are currently popular because Chinese cannot get to grips with English Language and Latin Characters. I would try to divest some of the numbers over the coming months as their useage is likely to decline with the introduction of IDN. Just makes sense to rebalance the risk in veiw of the changing landscape.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

sarcle 6th January 2006 06:02 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hello Sevent and welcome to the forums and to IDN. Count yourself lucky that you got in now. Most are going quickly so you will need to read and catch up fast. Anyways welcome and good luck.

gammascalper 6th January 2006 06:03 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevent
Hi all,

I only have a handfull of IDN names. Here they are:

鮭.com
евро.com
媚.com
botón.com
伞.com
할.com
村.com
헉.com
妥.com
às.com
são.com

I do own a large collection of numeric names (ie 27.com, 918.com) which seem to be very popular in Asian countries.

You can always email me at http://www.sigtools.com/SIGsevent@qu...rkgreen-no.png

Cheers all!

You made it just in time :)

Dave -- I concur with Bram -- you are a lucky guy!

sevent 6th January 2006 06:11 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Thanks for the welcomes!

I found a couple more names I forgot to mention (guess I should find out what these ones mean too, heh heh):

계산.com
铺.com

I'm just learning about these thinks, like the rule that Chinese chars should always be in 2's. (D'oh!)

gammascalper 6th January 2006 06:17 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevent
I'm just learning about these thinks, like the rule that Chinese chars should always be in 2's. (D'oh!)

That's the rule of thumb in picking up coherent chinese names, but it won't make a difference to an end-user if they want certain single characters for branding.

idnowner 8th January 2006 11:08 PM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Just found out about IDN forums from sarcle.

I don't have a lot of IDNs, but the ones I have are pretty good...

Japanese:
車.com  (Car)
ゴルフ.com (Golf)
ドメイン.com (Domain)
チケット.com (Ticket)

Also got some good ones in
   Spanish (LOTTERY: lotería.com and ACCENT-I: í.com)
   Portuguese (TELEVISION:  televisão.com, HEALTH: saúde.com)



Giant 9th January 2006 03:08 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Hi, sorry for choosing this name "giant", I'm just an average person. :-)

I am from Canada, speak and write Chinese. I registered only one Chinese IDN in 2001 but registered a few recently.

I agree with Dave totally regarding IDN and Asian market. Hopefully we all will make some money at the end, I mean very soon.

gammascalper 9th January 2006 03:15 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant
Hi, sorry for choosing this name "giant", I'm just an average person. :-)

I am from Canada, speak and write Chinese. I registered only one Chinese IDN in 2001 but registered a few recently.

I agree with Dave totally regarding IDN and Asian market. Hopefully we all will make some money at the end, I mean very soon.

Hi Giant -- welcome!

Rubber Duck 9th January 2006 08:08 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant
Hi, sorry for choosing this name "giant", I'm just an average person. :-)

I am from Canada, speak and write Chinese. I registered only one Chinese IDN in 2001 but registered a few recently.

I agree with Dave totally regarding IDN and Asian market. Hopefully we all will make some money at the end, I mean very soon.

Well I hope that one was something really amazing. Being Chinese and also knowing what an IDN was in 2001, now there was a combination that could have proven lethal!

Dave

touchring 9th January 2006 08:19 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant
Hi, sorry for choosing this name "giant", I'm just an average person. :-)

I am from Canada, speak and write Chinese. I registered only one Chinese IDN in 2001 but registered a few recently.

I agree with Dave totally regarding IDN and Asian market. Hopefully we all will make some money at the end, I mean very soon.

Out of curiosity, which IDN did you register in 2001, and why only 1 IDN?   ???

I think Verisign scored an A+ for the promotion work done for IDNs when it was first launched. Now they got a free publicity agent, our Mr Dwrixon. :D

Giant 12th January 2006 04:53 AM

Re: IDN Forum Members - Introduce Yourself
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring

Out of curiosity, which IDN did you register in 2001, and why only 1 IDN?   ???

That's my company name. I registered it for 2 years, and it dropped in 2003. I plan to register it again later so I'd better not to disclose it.

Clotho 19th January 2006 01:35 AM

Greetings!
 
Hello,

I have been lurking here for awhile and I must tell you that I am already grateful for the company that this place provides. I first heard about international domain names in late October of 2000. Network Solutions had recently been acquired by Verisign and their announcement of the IDN “testbed” accompanied by sympathetic mainstream media hype, made it all sound like the implementation was a slam dunk-sure-thing that would occur shortly.

I quickly ran off and attempted to register what I considered to be my own holy grail of names. With Japanese/English dictionary in hand I entered its domain. Lo… and behold, it came up AVAILABLE. My excitement was tangible as I entered the rest of the information to complete its purchase. For the next few days I proceeded to register many more very excellent names. Then I found out that this was just pre-registration and that the testbed hadn’t even officially opened yet. My pre-registered names would be submitted at the same time as many other registrars and only some of them would be accepted. Needless to say I was very nervous the day the testbed was officially to open. That was on November 10 2000. I eagerly anticipated the arrival of the email that would inform me of which names were accepted. When it arrived I was very pleased to see that most of them had made it in!

Over the next few months I registered hundreds and hundreds more names. I enrolled my friends and family and they registered names too. I also studied ICANN’s dispute process and learned how it worked. I was as careful as possible to register only generic names but when you don’t actually speak the language it is impossible to be certain that you didn’t make any errors.

Then the waiting started…..
I waited….
And waited….
And waited some more….
Years passed and I did not renew all of the names I had registered. I only renewed what I thought were the very best ones.

Now I see some light at the end of this tunnel! (and I am very happy to be here)

gammascalper 19th January 2006 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clotho
Hello,

I have been lurking here for awhile and I must tell you that I am already grateful for the company that this place provides. I first heard about international domain names in late October of 2000. Network Solutions had recently been acquired by Verisign and their announcement of the IDN “testbed” accompanied by sympathetic mainstream media hype, made it all sound like the implementation was a slam dunk-sure-thing that would occur shortly.

I quickly ran off and attempted to register what I considered to be my own holy grail of names. With Japanese/English dictionary in hand I entered its domain. Lo… and behold, it came up AVAILABLE. My excitement was tangible as I entered the rest of the information to complete its purchase. For the next few days I proceeded to register many more very excellent names. Then I found out that this was just pre-registration and that the testbed hadn’t even officially opened yet. My pre-registered names would be submitted at the same time as many other registrars and only some of them would be accepted. Needless to say I was very nervous the day the testbed was officially to open. That was on November 10 2000. I eagerly anticipated the arrival of the email that would inform me of which names were accepted. When it arrived I was very pleased to see that most of them had made it in!

Over the next few months I registered hundreds and hundreds more names. I enrolled my friends and family and they registered names too. I also studied ICANN’s dispute process and learned how it worked. I was as careful as possible to register only generic names but when you don’t actually speak the language it is impossible to be certain that you didn’t make any errors.

Then the waiting started…..
I waited….
And waited….
And waited some more….
Years passed and I did not renew all of the names I had registered. I only renewed what I thought were the very best ones.

Now I see some light at the end of this tunnel! (and I am very happy to be here)


How should I address you Mr TDC?

Just kidding... Welcome Clotho!

sarcle 19th January 2006 02:50 AM

Yes, welcome Clotho. You are a welcome addition to our clan. Care to share a couple of your beauts? It was definatly great insight on your part to get in when you did.

Clotho 19th January 2006 03:23 AM

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! What does TDC mean?

宝くじ.com (Lottery) and サーチ.com (Search) Are probably my favorites.

Both are in Japanese. Lots of other good ones as well :)

sarcle 19th January 2006 03:26 AM

Ah, so your that guy. 宝くじ.com I have probably looked this domain up 100 times. Really great domain!!!!!

gammascalper 19th January 2006 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clotho
Thank you very much for the warm welcome! What does TDC mean?

宝くじ.com (Lottery) and サーチ.com (Search) Are probably my favorites.

Both are in Japanese. Lots of other good ones as well :)

TDC has only slightly more than you... supposedly 26,000+ IDN reg'd in 2000-2001.

Those are sweet!


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58