IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2007, 07:26 AM

dusty is an unknown quantity at this point
IDN China test

I studied at Tsinghua in Beijing China last year and IDN.IDN domains worked on every computer I tried at the state run university. However, the IDN.com IDN.net etc. did not work on any computer I tried. This is quite a blow since mainland China is the place these names would have the most value.

Now in the US the IDN.com IDN.net etc. all work fine, but I cannot access any Chinese IDN.IDN

I am interested to know if anyone in China had better luck using IDN.com IDN.net etc. in the mainland.

Is China just allowing their IND.IDN to work and preventing the IDN.com IDN.net etc. from working in order to promote their system over the ICANN approved?
Old 24th February 2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: IDN China test

It certainly sounds like it.

Split root.
Old 24th February 2007, 08:16 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
I studied at Tsinghua in Beijing China last year

When last year?
Old 24th February 2007, 02:10 PM

Patriot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IDN's will work one day

Hello Dusty,

Currently IDN's don't work at all outside the US. There are technical reasons why
IDN's are not working.

The good news is the infrastructure necessary for IDN's to work is available and accessible, so keep the faith.

Athough I can't give you an estimate at this time when IDN's will finally work, you
can bank on the event as being very big news throughout the internet and media
in general.

So the IE7 launch was a big bust. Stay vested. It will be worth it.
Old 24th February 2007, 02:19 PM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IDN's will work one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot

Currently IDN's don't work at all outside the US.
Uhh - did you say what I think you just said
Old 24th February 2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

thehamptons is a tad dodgythehamptons is a tad dodgythehamptons is a tad dodgythehamptons is a tad dodgythehamptons is a tad dodgythehamptons is a tad dodgy

I get traffic to my idns from asia all the time
what you taking about im confused here
Old 24th February 2007, 02:48 PM

Charrua is an unknown quantity at this point

I get traffic from all over the world.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Old 24th February 2007, 03:02 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Im almost certain that I don't live in the US ... hang on let me just check .... Yep, it's defenitely not the US outside my front door ... Unless ... The US has invaded the entire world and I somehow missed it
Old 24th February 2007, 03:30 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

If you use IE7, IDN.com, IDN.net and IDN.ccTLD all work everywhere in the world, including China.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 24th February 2007, 04:12 PM

dusty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, that is great if they work for you guys. That is certainly the answer I wanted to hear.

I am only talking about China. They are the ones often doing it there own way.

I did not canvas the entire country and this would not include Hong Kong or Taiwan which both run on a different system.

I lived in Beijing China from 08/15/05 to 08/04/06

Most of my Internet usage was in my Apartment and at Tsinghua University. IDN.com didn't work when I tried and IDN.IDN worked perfect.

My locations were few and I was not making a statement about the entire country. The reason for this post was to find out how wide spread experiences like mine are.

Thank you for the responses. I would like to hear more if anyone can say their mainland China location and let us know what they can pull up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamptons
I get traffic to my idns from asia all the time
what you taking about im confused here
Asian includes a lot more than China and other countries also use the same language. The mainland is my issues since that is the bulk of the Chinese reading population and Internet traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
Im almost certain that I don't live in the US ... hang on let me just check .... Yep, it's defenitely not the US outside my front door ... Unless ... The US has invaded the entire world and I somehow missed it
Do you live in mainland China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
If you use IE7, IDN.com, IDN.net and IDN.ccTLD all work everywhere in the world, including China.
I have had IDN compatible browsers for years. I do not think that is the answer to my issue. However, I do like seeing the native language in IE7 rather than xn--kjhdfkja.com

The browsers can deal with the IDNs, but that does not mean you can view the web sites.

Last edited by dusty; 24th February 2007 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24th February 2007, 04:44 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Were you trying to visit blocked in China Parking Pages?
Old 24th February 2007, 04:53 PM
Veteran

WTF? Second person to say idn.com is blocked in China.

Some local ISP not handling the idn.idn redirect properly and ends up blocking idn.com? Our network expert, Drew, what do you say?

Last edited by touchring; 24th February 2007 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24th February 2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>Our network expert, Drew, what do you say?

I already said it....

Split root.

I've already shown that DNS servers run by CNNIC serve up IDN.IDN.

I didn't think to see what they did when you asked them about IDN.com

Wait one moment...

...OK.

The one DNS server at CNNIC is just tested (210.52.214.86) answered queries for a bunch of my Chinese IDN's (both ones hosted in the USA and ones pointing to DOPA) correctly.

Of course, it's entirely possible that when it receives a query from within China, that DNS server produces different results. Very easy to set a DNS server up to do something like that.

More likely to be the firewall preventing the actually HTTP request from making it across to the USA, rather than a fiddle at the DNS level, I think.

Last edited by Drewbert; 24th February 2007 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24th February 2007, 08:35 PM
Veteran

I know about idn.idn, i got it tested.

Along with idn.cn, it works for even non-idn enabled browsers. And it's like redirection - the page got redirected somewhere and in a split second, redirects to the idn.idn website.