IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2007, 03:27 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road
IDNs in the TRAFFIC Auction...

Out of the only 9 IDNs selected for the TRAFFIC auction, all but 3 are owned by the same company, Wyvern, LLC:

纽约州.com (xn--6rtq34e7b.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"New York State" in Chinese

ניו-יורק.com (xn----9hcbnc2b2ch.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"New-York" in Hebrew

テキサス州.com (xn--nckqm3c7069a.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"Texas State" in Japanese

ヨハネスブルグ.com (xn--qckr3dh1b6gza.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"Johannesburg" in Japanese

シリコンバレー.com (xn--tckh0fwem4b0d.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"Silicon Valley" in Japanese

뉴욕주.com (xn--vg1bt59azwb.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"New York State" in Korean

Wyvern is (or was) headed by Josh Metnick of Chicago.com and Associated Cities fame, who I am am sure runs in certain "domain-associated" circles...

This smells fishy to me...

I realize that a general consensus is that we don't need the auction, the domains won't get a fair shake, it's the wrong audience, etc. However, there is just something not right about this. They say they "didn't receive many IDNs..." but why these out of what they did receive? Why no Latin-based IDNs? Some of this is due to a learning curve, maybe, but I was pretty surprised by what I saw when I checked the whois...

Others on the list - These are owned by private individuals or companies, so I will not list the whois details...

エレクトロニクス.com
название.com
情報技術.com

Last edited by domainstosell; 1st March 2007 at 05:14 PM..
Old 1st March 2007, 03:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: IDNs in the TRAFFIC Auction...

Yes, and I have just registered the dot Nets on three of these.

Fuck knows what they mean, I didn't check but shit they have got to be valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
Out of the only 9 IDNs selected for the TRAFFIC auction, all but 3 are owned by the same company, Wyvern, LLC:

纽约州.com (xn--6rtq34e7b.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"New York State" in Chinese

ניו-יורק.com (xn----9hcbnc2b2ch.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"New-York" in Hebrew

テキサス州.com (xn--nckqm3c7069a.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"Texas State" in Japanese

ヨハネスブルグ.com (xn--qckr3dh1b6gza.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"Johannesburg" in Japanese

シリコンバレー.com (xn--tckh0fwem4b0d.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"Silicon Valley" in Japanese

뉴욕주.com (xn--vg1bt59azwb.com) - Owned by Wyvern
"New York State" in Korean

Wyvern is (or was) headed by Josh Metnick of Chicago.com and Associated Cities fame, who I am am sure runs in certain "domain-associated" circles...

This smells fishy to me...

I realize that a general consensus is that we don't need the auction, the domains won't get a fair shake, it's the wrong audience, etc. However, there is just something not right about this. They say they "didn't receive many IDNs..." but why these out of wat they did receive? Why no Latin-based IDNs? Some of this is due to a learning curve, maybe, but I was pretty surprised by what I saw when I checked the whois...

Others on the list - These are owned by private individuals or companies, so I will not list the whois details...

エレクトロニクス.com
название.com
情報技術.com
Old 1st March 2007, 03:34 PM

domainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished roaddomainstosell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yes, and I have just registered the dot Nets on three of these.

Fuck knows what they mean, I didn't check but shit they have got to be valuable.
That's funny!!
Old 1st March 2007, 04:00 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Really wierd stuff going on mate
Old 1st March 2007, 04:04 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Rubber duck

we don't call Texas, "Texas State"

;-(

I live in NY and we don't call it "New York State"
Old 1st March 2007, 04:07 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy
I live in NY and we don't call it "New York State"
Maybe only foreigners call NY New York State.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 1st March 2007 at 04:17 PM..
Old 1st March 2007, 04:37 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

I *think* he's being sarcastic ;-)

Obviously if the names were valuable, the .net's would not have been available.
Old 1st March 2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

..what do we call this..
Old 1st March 2007, 04:49 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

This can't be it. They have to be adding more. There is no way this is complete. If it is......
Old 1st March 2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Nice, but I think it isn't so much nepotism as an easy way for Moniker to shut the IDN community up... They didn't stack the deck to help a friend for personal gain, they said:

"Who do we know and trust, who can put up some IDNs that we can shove into this auction? We promised IDNs, but now that we've got them, we really don't know how to manage them. They called us on it when we tried to just not include any, so now we have to have SOMETHING... Let's just put a few in as an afterthought - I'll talk to Josh Metnick, I know he has some IDNs, and he'd probably let us list a couple..."

Something along those lines.

I don't mean any disrespect to the owners of the other three names that got in, but I did notice that they weren't just your average, Joe-Blow IDNer either...

That's not to imply that they were part of any kind of conspiracy by any stretch of the imagination, my point is simply that Moniker only seemed willing to go with completely known entities rather than look at the full spectrum of what was presented to them.

That's my take on it, at this point, anyway.
Old 1st March 2007, 04:58 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

My biggest worry is that Tim and Monte take it on themselves to start educating the folks at TRAFFIC on IDN. If that happens, then we have a real problem on our hands!
Old 1st March 2007, 05:08 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
My biggest worry is that Tim and Monte take it on themselves to start educating the folks at TRAFFIC on IDN. If that happens, then we have a real problem on our hands!
They couldn't invite you to educate the folks at TRAFFIC on IDN so they probably had to do it themselves :-)

Don't underestimate Rick S. :-) He's striking back!

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 1st March 2007, 05:15 PM
Veteran

I accused him of being Parochial.

He was under no obligation to prove me correct.
Old 1st March 2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainstosell
Nice, but I think it isn't so much nepotism as an easy way for Moniker to shut the IDN community up... They didn't stack the deck to help a friend for personal gain, they said:

"Who do we know and trust, who can put up some IDNs that we can shove into this auction? We promised IDNs, but now that we've got them, we really don't know how to manage them. They called us on it when we tried to just not include any, so now we have to have SOMETHING... Let's just put a few in as an afterthought - I'll talk to Josh Metnick, I know he has some IDNs, and he'd probably let us list a couple..."

Something along those lines.

I don't mean any disrespect to the owners of the other three names that got in, but I did notice that they weren't just your average, Joe-Blow IDNer either...

That's not to imply that they were part of any kind of conspiracy by any stretch of the imagination, my point is simply that Moniker only seemed willing to go with completely known entities rather than look at the full spectrum of what was presented to them.

That's my take on it, at this point, anyway.

Makes sense (however unprofessional) but it doesn't make sense to allocate 66% to only one person especially if that person is a relative IDN newbie compared to dave,mulligan, sarcle and others who have entered names which should certainly be of higher quality than these relatively obscure geographics.

Favoritism based on personal relations rather than abilities, this sure looks like it, whatever the stature of mr. Metnick is, because he is without doubt an example to the domaining community.
Old 1st March 2007, 05:27 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Mulligan whats going on here, any Idea ?
Old 1st March 2007, 05:28 PM
Veteran

They have done what they have done to attempt to address their target audience.

For this reason they have made the same mistake that most ASCII domainers are making.

The purpose of investing in IDN is not only to get in at the bottom, but it is to target the new online consumers in the World's fastest growing markets.

These terms are not only not used in the US, they are not much used in that languages that are written in. If they had mastered Google search they would know this much.

The guy who has registered these has jumped on the bandwagon, but frankly has not got the mindset of a true IDNer. These are crap and presumably he is putting forward at least what he considers to be some of his better names.

As ever, however, they only see it from their own ego-centric perspective. Pathetic!
Old 1st March 2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
Makes sense (however unprofessional) but it doesn't make sense to allocate 66% to only one person especially if that person is a relative IDN newbie compared to dave,mulligan, sarcle and others who have entered names which should certainly be of higher quality than these relatively obscure geographics.

Favoritism based on personal relations rather than abilities, this sure looks like it, whatever the stature of mr. Metnick is, because he is without doubt an example to the domaining community.
Very true...

Also, I've come across Wyvern before when regging, and I know they have much better domains that these.
Old 1st March 2007, 05:39 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Are these then going to be the ONLY IDNs at the auction, or will there be others.

You'd think that out of what some others had submitted, they would have been choosen over these ones.

Old 1st March 2007, 05:43 PM
Veteran

Well I offered 4. The one they have included is the one I would have put money on being left out!
Old 1st March 2007, 06:03 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Mulligan whats going on here, any Idea ?

Very high reserves was mentioned as being a reason for a lot of names not being listed and there seems not to have been a significant number of domains actually submitted.

While we may be able to see the percieved $$$ value of IDNs others may not and that might be a reason for more names not being listed. We are in the minority and it will take a while before it is accepted that we're not going away and that IDNs are not a passing fad.