IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2007, 09:28 PM

Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Why chose a language when registering?

Hello,

Is there a reason why you need to associate a language when registering an IDN at a registrar?

For instance, fermé (closed) can be registered as french, spanish, etc, and even english, even though it's not an english word. Once it's registered, the word can't be registered in another language, so maybe it serves a different purpose? And how would you change that language designation if you made a mistake?

Assigning the right language to a web page is done through HMTL metas, so I guess it's not for that.

Any clue will be appreciated!

tx
Old 5th March 2007, 09:44 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Why chose a language when registering?

What a great question.

No idea, maybe the language tag is a hang up from the olden days when it used to do something.

I'm sure someone will come along with a history lesson as to why? But all I know is that it doesn't do anything, in other words forget about it, it doesn't do jack.
Old 5th March 2007, 09:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

There is a purpose to the language tag. It effectively allows some additional restrictions to be added and I believe is used to prevent the registering of mixed script domains. Not all Latin phishing domains are technically mixed script though.

The tag is not retained after the domain is registered, so once it is registered the tag is irrelevant as I understand it.
Old 5th March 2007, 09:59 PM

I hope it's just legacy.
Some of what I registered mistakenly has english as the designated language, but they are spanish of french words. I just hope they eventually don't get restricted or somehow invalidated because of the mismatch.
It's pretty unlikely though.

P
Old 5th March 2007, 10:22 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I will give you the short version here as I lost my previous more lengthy post due to ongoing conflict between this site and IE7.

In brief you are not allowed to mix Latin and Cyrillic. Language Tags are used to run the check. You cannot register Cyrillic characters under an English Tag or Latin characters under a Russian Tag. Latin is permissible under a Japanese Tag.

The registered domain has no Tag, so is as valid as any other until ICANN changes the rules.
Old 5th March 2007, 11:32 PM

Tanx for the info.

p.
Old 6th March 2007, 12:03 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I hope it's just legacy.
Some of what I registered mistakenly has english as the designated language, but they are spanish of french words. I just hope they eventually don't get restricted or somehow invalidated because of the mismatch.
It's pretty unlikely though.
P
I will bet there probably 100,000 idns with "Afrikaans" idn tags registered because many
never designated a choice and that is the default being first language in line. I agree with Dave
that once registered, you have purchased the punycode and corresponding unicode.
Old 6th March 2007, 12:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
I will bet there probably 100,000 idns with "Afrikaans" idn tags registered because many
never designated a choice and that is the default being first language in line. I agree with Dave
that once registered, you have purchased the punycode and corresponding unicode.
We have all done that but it makes no difference. The registrations were accepted and the Tag was not retained.