IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2007, 02:00 PM
Prodigy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 550
Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point
Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

We all know that you probably wont be able to register 股票 in most extensions. I just registered 股份.CN against my better judgement because of translations from 3 online dictionaries:

http://www.baidu.com/s?ie=gb2312&bs=...are&ct=1048576

Zhongwen.com

and

Tigernt.com

I was always raised to say 股票 when talking about stocks and shares. However, all 3 dictionaries provide 股份 as a primary term (first listed). When searched on Baidu however, it seems that this term is used as an incorporation feature.

Can a truly native speaker shed light on the issue? Is 股份 worth anything at all?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2007, 03:22 PM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1257
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar
We all know that you probably wont be able to register 股票 in most extensions. I just registered 股份.CN against my better judgement because of translations from 3 online dictionaries:

http://www.baidu.com/s?ie=gb2312&bs=...are&ct=1048576

Zhongwen.com

and

Tigernt.com

I was always raised to say 股票 when talking about stocks and shares. However, all 3 dictionaries provide 股份 as a primary term (first listed). When searched on Baidu however, it seems that this term is used as an incorporation feature.

Can a truly native speaker shed light on the issue? Is 股份 worth anything at all?

Thanks.

股份should be used in reference to shares or shareholding or stockholding of a company, whereas 股票 refers to stocks of companies that you trade in a stock market.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2007, 03:24 PM
Prodigy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 550
Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
股份should be used in reference to shares or shareholding or stockholding of a company, whereas 股票 refers to stocks of companies that you trade in a stock market.
Thanks Touch. So 股份is share ownership of a company... how would you translate that into english? Shareholding?

Also, is it worth anything or should I drop?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2007, 03:46 PM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1257
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaStar
Thanks Touch. So 股份is share ownership of a company... how would you translate that into english? Shareholding?

Also, is it worth anything or should I drop?

I think both mean shares, except 股份 is used in relations to shares in a company, whereas 股票 is shares that you trade in the stock mkt, i think??
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2007, 04:11 PM
Prodigy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 550
Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I think both mean shares, except 股份 is used in relations to shares in a company, whereas 股票 is shares that you trade in the stock mkt, i think??
Complicated for me too buddy =)

I'm getting "Shares, Stock" from Zhongwen.com

This is the definition from Baidu:

http://www.baidu.com/s?ie=gb2312&bs=...%DD&ct=1048576

I think it might be a keeper!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2007, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,838
iTrader: (43)
Rep Power: 1592
markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
Re: Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

股份 vs. 股票 in Chinese is equal or similar to
株式 vs. 株 in Japanese
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18th March 2007, 04:29 PM
Prodigy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 683
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 550
Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
股份 vs. 股票 in Chinese is equal or similar to
株式 vs. 株 in Japanese
Thanks, gonna run some of the .cn's with the mainland crowd and see what they think.

Makes sense, probably not even close in value to 股票!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26th March 2007, 02:25 PM
MDM MDM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,481
iTrader: (87)
Rep Power: 947
MDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished roadMDM is on a distinguished road
Re: Chinese Speakers: 股份 vs. 股票

股份 means "shareholdings" or "% of shareholdings" in some cases. We'll do 股票 trading but not 股份 trading
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54