PDA

View Full Version : just sharing

rhys
17th February 2006, 09:37 PM
Baidu raises share of search engine market: iResearch reported Baidu.com raised its share of the Chinese search engine market from 33.1% in 2004 to 46.5% in 2005. Google.com increased its share to 26.9% in 2005, from 22.4% the previous year. Baidu.com has a majority of search engine users in webpage, music and picture searches.

sakillll
18th February 2006, 01:49 AM
google is not famous of in taiwan.
many taiwanese does not known google.
tw.yahoo.com share of the most taiwan search engine market .

bwhhisc
18th February 2006, 02:37 PM

I just think google just can't roll out to all of the worlds markets quick enough and Yahoo and others have poured on the investment to stake early claim. Yahoo might hold their lead for many years, but eventually the challenge from google will eventually unfold.

Yahoo search engines are "advertiser driven" in many cases, more than being objective. That is why google is preferred for serious searches in English language. Google may take a while or maybe license their technology in other countries, that we will have to see but don't count them out. The only reason Yahoo or MSN gets bigger numbers (ie Alexa) is because of their strong hold on the email and news market, not for their quality search ability.

rhys
18th February 2006, 02:53 PM
Yahoo search engines are "advertiser driven" in many cases, more than being objective. That is why google is preferred for serious searches in English language. Google may take a while or maybe license their technology in other countries, that we will have to see but don't count them out. The only reason Yahoo or MSN gets bigger numbers (ie Alexa) is because of their strong hold on the email and news market, not for their quality search ability.

Agreed, Google scores much higher in relevance than the other two. Though bear in mind that in the case of Yahoo that is to a great extent part a business strategy which if they wanted to could be switched practically overnight. MSN seems to have a longer way to go on search engine relevance period, but they are not "advertiser driven" and look much more like google in their output format.

But what would concern me is that Google does not have a strong trajectory in the market in what should be deemed to be early days and easy pickings. They didn't grow nearly as rapidly as Baidu and we know this is a winner take all game in any given market.

bwhhisc
18th February 2006, 02:58 PM
You are correct on MSN- I just lumped them in with Yahoo which I am more familiar with...

touchring
18th February 2006, 02:59 PM

Baidu can easily take Yahoo.tw share if it wants to, it is a far better search engine for Chinese terms, but it might take some tweaking to list Taiwan sites instead of Mainland China sites, and this is a political no go ahead, so it won't happen.