PDA

View Full Version : Linking strategy - absolute vs relative

Carrym
20th March 2007, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

Do search engines know the difference between absolute and relative links?

From what I understand, inbound links have the potential to increase your search engine ranking. What about internal (relative) links within your own website, for example Wikipedia has a gazillion relative links between their articles. Does this help Wikipedia get ranked higher?

Thanks in advance!

alpha
20th March 2007, 09:32 AM
more bots...

there must be a way to stop these vermin

Olney
20th March 2007, 10:01 AM
Actually these people who post this do ask pretty legit questions. That's why the webmasters leave the post. It's people manually posting this.

alpha
20th March 2007, 10:03 AM
Actually these people who post this do ask pretty legit questions. That's why the webmasters leave the post. It's people manually posting this.

it may be manual, but not really legit.

look at this one. http://www.idnforums.com/forums/10019-missing-mss32-dll.html

is it not spam?

Olney
20th March 2007, 10:14 AM
The irrelevant ones I erase (I erased the above link before you finished). The ones that ask a SEO related question that I believe members can actually benefit from knowing the answers I leave. They purposely "usually" write a good topic.

alpha
20th March 2007, 10:18 AM
The irrelevant ones I erase (I erased the above link before you finished). The ones that ask a SEO related question that I believe members can actually benefit from knowing the answers I leave. They purposely "usually" write a good topic.

Maybe these sorts of dubious threads should be moved to the members area.

at least the spiders wont see them, and as you say members will still benefit from the info

touchring
20th March 2007, 10:48 AM
It's a spam, look at the acne anchor links:

acne treatment resume writing online

mulligan
20th March 2007, 02:15 PM
They just post here with a link to their non IDN relevant site in their sig hoping to benefit from the pagerank of the forum.

You should use the admin panel to ban people from putting links in their sigs until the reach a certian post count

domainguru
20th March 2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe these sorts of dubious threads should be moved to the members area.

at least the spiders wont see them, and as you say members will still benefit from the info

At sitepoint, signatures are only visible to members. So search engine spam in sigs just isn't worth doing. Not sure how it is done technically, but a great solution.