PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew IDNs worth anything?

jacksonm
22nd March 2007, 09:19 PM
Hi,
I found a hebrew IDN available in .net. The .com was registered by Andrew Snow in 2001.

Just wondering if a hebrew .net would have any value.

mdw
22nd March 2007, 09:30 PM
You could probably make a nice living picking up leftovers from the Snows.

jacksonm
22nd March 2007, 09:39 PM
You could probably make a nice living picking up leftovers from the Snows.

Are you saying that anything he left in .net is automatically valuable, just because of his endorsement of the .com? Sorry, but I don't know the guy. Only heard his name mentioned once or twice in threads here.

mdw
22nd March 2007, 09:47 PM
no I wouldn't say that, but you only see his name while checking the top of the list, right?

Rubber Duck
22nd March 2007, 09:49 PM
Are you saying that anything he left in .net is automatically valuable, just because of his endorsement of the .com? Sorry, but I don't know the guy. Only heard his name mentioned once or twice in threads here.

Well you can take it from me that this guy has a better portfolio than I do and certainly better than some of the self styled Masters of the Universe in ASCII land.

Somebody behing that organisation has serious linguistic skills.

What I am not quite sure about is that in recent months these guys have been going after dot biz and dot info. Why did they not follow up behind their own dot com registrations?

rhys
22nd March 2007, 09:51 PM
I'd still love to find out more about the snows one day. Their legend is compelling.

jacksonm
22nd March 2007, 10:03 PM
I'd still love to find out more about the snows one day. Their legend is compelling.

http://pview.findlaw.com/view/2218003_1

Speculation: they give clients who are native speakers of various languages discounts on legal fees for assisting with translations, etc.

thegenius1
22nd March 2007, 10:03 PM
What I am not quite sure about is that in recent months these guys have been going after dot biz and dot info. Why did they not follow up behind their own dot com registrations?

Maybe bordem , You have to admitt if it wasnt for the money that is to follow life would be pretty boring not being able to gold rush.

rhys
22nd March 2007, 10:10 PM
Interesting according to the map, I've walked by his house many times with my dog in Woodland park. Back when I used to live in Connecticut.

jacksonm
22nd March 2007, 10:19 PM
http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:0xIG8uU8m7wJ:www.demene.com/discussion/356/la-historia-del-dominio-espanolcom/+%22andrew+snow%22+connecticut+idn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

ANDREW SNOW
Founder
Mr. Snow, a New York attorney and MBA, has an enviable record of taking Internet marketing to the next level. As founder of Globabel.com, he helped expand world wide Internet usage by promoting technology that allows the utilization of Non-Roman scripts in the Internet Domain Naming System. (DNS)

http://www.dominiosidn.com/tag/desarrollo-web

<babelfish translation>

To whom it does not interest to him to enter to compete by a market of $700 trillions? Domainer Andrew Snow de Latinos.us, the size of the market of the Latins in the United States is too tempting to let pass it. Through the acquisition of thousands of dominions in Spanish us altogether with telephone numbers that they identify to its sites, has I decide to go to the conquest of the Latin market by Internet. With dominions like Prestamos.us (1-866-Prestamos), Hoteles.us (1-888-Hotels), Hipotecas.us (1-866-Hipotecas), has sent an ambitious plan that offers sinfĂ­n of services to the Latin community in the United States.

http://www.secfilings.com/sec-filings/2005/GCCFC-2005-GG3/GCCFC-2005-GG3-files-SEC-Form-8-K_0000914121-05-000144.aspx

Lmg67
23rd March 2007, 04:25 AM
In response to your original question, I believe there are many reasons why Hebrew IDNs will be quite valuable. Israel is quite an amazing place for such a small country. First, read below:

JERUSALEM POST
MAY 2006

A recently published study showed that the average Israeli spends more time surfing the Internet than anyone else in the world.

The comScore World Metrix, which claims to be the first true estimate of global Internet traffic, indicated that Israelis spend on average 57.5 hours every month. That figure is more than double the average time per month that American users spend online.

(also interesting...)

Leading the list of top users, alongside Israel, were Finland, South Korea, the Netherlands and Taiwan. The United States did not make the top 15 list of users.

The study found that of the 694 million people worldwide over the age of 15 - about 14 percent of the world population - who use Internet services, nearly 25% come from east Asia: China, Japan, India and Korea.

END

Second, Israelis are on the forefront of the hi-tech industry and its smaller companies are not affected by global financial ups and downs. Also,

From a Merrill Lynch report

"Israel is in first place in the world in scientists and engineers per capita," says Ayalon, "ahead of Japan, the United States and Germany, and with three times as many as Britain. Israel's national expenditure on R&D is also the greatest in the world. With such an infrastructure it is natural that a good technology industry should develop."

And from www.Israel21c.com:

American consumers may not be aware of the numerous facets of Israel's technological prowess in their daily life: Motorola developed original cell phone technology at their R&D centers here, and a then-unknown Israeli startup called ICQ first unveiled Internet chat messaging to the world. Intel's latest Dual Core and earlier Pentium chips were developed at their Haifa R&D center, and manufactured at Jerusalem and Kiryat Gat fabrication plants; the NICE company is an industry byword for security systems, and NDS introduced simple, easy-to-use, pay-per-view TV to international audiences.

END

Point of all this being that Israelis are hi-tech and internet savvy and progressive, and when new technologies or innovations are introduced, it spreads like wildfire across the entire country. Israelis live day-to-day with great spontaniety. I believe that once Hebrew IDNs make their way into the popular culture, there will be no turning back. And everyone will want a piece of the pie.

(For much more about Israel's hi-tech innovations, go here:
http://www.israel21c.com/bin/en.jsp?enDispWho=Technology&enPage=BlankPage&enDisplay=view&enDispWhat=Zone&enZone=technology&&enInfolet=moreArticle.jsp&

It's a well educated population and they do well with English but as with every person, they speak their native language the best and prefer and are used to "computing" in Hebrew.

For example:

MICROSOFT ISRAEL was founded in 1989 and became one of the first Microsoft branches outside the USA.

Microsoft's Israeli branch is active in every sphere of
marketing, sales, technical support and development of the
company's products. In addition, the company has two Israeli
development centers: The first, located in Haifa, is one of the
few owned by the company outside the US. It is active in R&D in
the field of Microsoft's operating systems.

From its earliest days, Arie Scope, the founder and managing
director of Microsoft Israel understood the importance of
implanting Hebrew into Microsoft's international products and he
has battled unwaveringly to convert the company's products. Even
in the early days, Microsoft was established as a company that
invested major efforts in order to enable its customers to enjoy
using the most popular software product in the world - in Hebrew!

Ten years on, most of Microsoft's products are sold in Israel
with their own Hebrew version.

END

From having been there recently I can tell you that they are making everything wireless, i.e. they have made the entire downtown Jerusalem area wireless as well as other popular areas of Jerusalem. I imagine it's happening in other Israeli cities too.

A final point (though there are many more to make!): Hebrew is difficult to transliterate into English. That's why you get: Hanukah, Hanukkah, Hanuka, Channukah, Chanukah, Chanukkah, Chanuka, Hannuka, Hannukah, Channuka, Chanukka, and they are all legitimate ways of spelling Chanukah (my preference) in English! It's not so easy to find some Hebrew websites because of this. (Is it this way for all countries?) They'll be thrilled to have domain names in Hebrew.

Maybe I'm optimistic because I have to be - I've bought close to 1,000 Hebrew IDNs. But it's because of what I've listed above, and lots more...

mulligan
23rd March 2007, 04:46 AM
.... indicated that Israelis spend on average 57.5 hours every month. That figure is more than double the average time per month that American users spend online....

Thats nothing, I spend at least that amount of time online every day ....:p

Fka200
23rd March 2007, 04:55 AM
Thats nothing, I spend at least that amount of time online every day ....:p

And what planet are you living on mull? Stupid Earth and its pesky 24hour-days!

:D!

Also: VERY informative post LMG! Awesome! Rep'd for that!

clipper
23rd March 2007, 06:13 AM
Your domain may turn out to be more valuable than Mr. Snow's.

Trends (http://www.google.com/trends?q=.com%2C+.net&ctab=0&geo=IL&date=all)

Fka200
23rd March 2007, 07:12 AM
Your domain may turn out to be more valuable than Mr. Snow's.

Trends (http://www.google.com/trends?q=.com%2C+.net&ctab=0&geo=IL&date=all)

Hrmmm. Pretty interesting.

jacksonm
23rd March 2007, 08:17 AM
(also interesting...)

Leading the list of top users, alongside Israel, were Finland,

It's so dark for half of the year, what else is there to do? Honestly, though, Finland's government mandated and implemented an "e-society" about 10 years back. You can do almost everything via the net.