PDA

View Full Version : AP News: DCG from DNForum now looking into IDN Market

IDNCowboy
18th February 2006, 03:28 PM
News at 10..
http://www.dnforum.com/f273/how-find-idn-names-thread-134614.html?highlight=IDN

Olney
18th February 2006, 03:46 PM
That's cool sooner or later as a business they have to realize they lost content & potential domains.
Also it's now 6 months later & at least 10,000 valuable domains have been registered by us.
Most of us are already going to point of rethinking buying strategies to the 3rd & 4th time.

He's a pretty influential guy in the domain market so having him interested in the IDN domain market will start a pretty good chain reaction. I mean most of the domainers are fighting for something to sell or a good appraisal of something that doesn't remotely seem like it makes sense.

I feel like we were the kids in school who just tried to tell everyone that something was cool & they just wouldn't believe us so we up & left school. They might not follow us but they'll follow him. I just know I got a better Japanese portfolio that I haven't even made public yet.... I'm not even thinking quantity I'm thinking pure no risk quality.....

bwhhisc
18th February 2006, 05:28 PM
I think it is good that (the owner of DNForums) put up a post about how to get into buying IDN's. He does have both credibility and experience, and when HE finds out whats "still out there" for only $8 bucks a pop, he just might get excited himself! And that in turn should trigger more interest all around.

Certainly DCG is a smart guy so this should not only pop the interest in IDNs up a few notches with his followers, but more importantly, just be more "fuel on the fire" for growth and demand of IDN's. Shoot, I might even hunt him down a big old juicy IDN.com and send it to him for a welcoming gift...just to give him a bit of an idea of what's still out there today!

Alternately, he may be just doing his daily chores of trying to get some additional threads going in the forum since it did get a little s-l-o-w since Dave departed from there into... the parallel universe!
Overall I have to cheer on his interest and the benefits for IDN's her can produce. In the meantime...you-alls better back up your trucks one last time, I feel the second coming of the IDN Gold Rush, this time it could be an outright take-no-prisoners stampede!

Rubber Duck
18th February 2006, 05:40 PM
That's cool sooner or later as a business they have to realize they lost content & potential domains.
Also it's now 6 months later & at least 10,000 valuable domains have been registered by us.
Most of us are already going to point of rethinking buying strategies to the 3rd & 4th time.

He's a pretty influential guy in the domain market so having him interested in the IDN domain market will start a pretty good chain reaction. I mean most of the domainers are fighting for something to sell or a good appraisal of something that doesn't remotely seem like it makes sense.

I feel like we were the kids in school who just tried to tell everyone that something was cool & they just wouldn't believe us so we up & left school. They might not follow us but they'll follow him. I just know I got a better Japanese portfolio that I haven't even made public yet.... I'm not even thinking quantity I'm thinking pure no risk quality.....

Olney, I think you will find that that the top 10 investors on here account for approximately that number, so I would suggest 10,000 is a gross underestimate.

huronargentino
18th February 2006, 09:41 PM
At least i have 250

OldIDNer
20th February 2006, 01:56 PM
I have 5 IDNs and about 20 IDN .com related names. Originally had around 50 IDNs (japanese, chinese, german, portuguese), with maybe a few good ones in each but I let most drop when they converted the code from bq to xn. Also had some of those alternative fully multilingual ones but let those go too a while back. I'm happy with what I do have so I can't really complain.

Drewbert
21st February 2006, 06:21 PM
but I let most drop when they converted the code from bq to xn.

Any particular reason for doing that?

OldIDNer
21st February 2006, 06:53 PM
Hi Drewbert. I just lost interest in them around that time. It seemed to be going nowhere - I couldn't even get nameservers attached to them to check traffic if I remember correctly. When they announced that the code would change I didnt even bother looking what the deal was. Wasn't sure if we even got to keep our original names. It was mainly the Japanese and Chinese stuff I lost - that stuff dropped immediately. Mostly ok/crap names with maybe three good names in there.

Anyways, I still have some good Portuguese ones and a few other potentials.

Clotho
21st February 2006, 07:21 PM
I remember that time as well and I did the same thing. My portfolio of over 1000 IDN's dwindled to 50 or so. At about that time if you searched the message boards on anything about IDN's or Multilingual domains all you saw was negativity. The names still didn't work without a plug in and it was easy to see that this would never be adopted en mass. Verisign could now say that the names worked however and charge for renewals accordingly.

Furthermore, the tools we have now, like Overture didn't exist. There was no way to check the spelling and have any certainty that you had the right version of the word. Even if you showed the list to a native speaker they would just read your names and say.. Yup. Your translation is correct. With no indication if it was the most commonly used version.

Even at this point I still believed in them but could see that it would still be years before it became mainstream. I could not afford to keep renewing all of them so I had to decide on what to keep. I made my best guess. Am I ever glad I did! I did manage to keep some real winners in that 50.

Of the ones I didn't keep I did lose some real prize gems. ショッピング.com for example. (Shopping.com). I have even seen domains that I once owned bought and sold on these forums. :)

OldIDNer
21st February 2006, 07:28 PM
It seemed they were relatively strict with the Asian IDN expiration dates. The other IDNs seem to just auto renew.

OldIDNer
28th February 2006, 03:10 AM
Domainstate has now added an IDN forum.

gammascalper
28th February 2006, 03:16 AM
Domainstate has now added an IDN forum.

I think they need to set their db collation to something that works with utf-8.

Not an auspicious start!

OldIDNer
28th February 2006, 03:22 AM
That or that poster is being funny.

gammascalper
28th February 2006, 03:26 AM
That went over my head then!

I tried enlightening some at webmasterworld. You'd think they would have it sorted out too, but no -- all my example IDN were escaped and rendered as special characters.

Olney
28th February 2006, 03:30 AM
Yeah I saw that just now.
Just after last week they removed & junked my advertising thread...

& Sorry I think the other sites just want a part of the IDN content we have here.

I don't mind answering some questions on DomainState once in a while as long as they don't take away my sig like in DNF...

OldIDNer
28th February 2006, 03:37 AM
I think DS is just adding it because its becoming more important.

They (DS) generally don't allow promotion of other domain forums on their forum.

Olney
28th February 2006, 07:36 AM
I guess we did develop the market pretty well.
Just a matter of time before NP has an IDN section.

I guess I also realize the more people talk about them & realize the potential this forum grows too cause it's the only place with firsthand info...

Rubber Duck
28th February 2006, 08:45 AM
I guess we did develop the market pretty well.
Just a matter of time before NP has an IDN section.

I guess I also realize the more people talk about them & realize the potential this forum grows too cause it's the only place with firsthand info...

Yes, by all means give them enough information for them to want and to be able to come and find out the truth. The real story can only be found here! Personally, I have done my bit for IDN and will continue to do so, but only here. If anyone seeks my opinion, then they will have to seek it here. Without this forum we would have no voice. I have spent endless months barking at the moon! Why should I go to these Philistine Temples to worship?

OldIDNer
28th February 2006, 10:23 AM
Yes, this is a great forum, the original pure IDN forum which will only benefit from other sites and forums discussing IDNs and creating more awareness imo.